Transferring

Sky

Wannabe
Hi!

I'm interested in applying for a Package Handler at my local facility, but they do not currently have any openings for the shift that I would like (due to school). There is another facility some 30 miles away which does have the shift I'm looking for.

Would it be possible to transfer later and retain seniority? If I want to pursue a driver position, would it be better for me to wait until an opening becomes available at my local facility?

Thanks for the advice! :happy2:

mikestrek

Hi!

I'm interested in applying for a Package Handler at my local facility, but they do not currently have any openings for the shift that I would like (due to school). There is another facility some 30 miles away which does have the shift I'm looking for.

Would it be possible to transfer later and retain seniority? If I want to pursue a driver position, would it be better for me to wait until an opening becomes available at my local facility?

Thanks for the advice! :happy2:
Any time you transfer, You lose your seniority. Package Driver, Pre-Loader, Local Sort, etc. If you plan to stay with the company I would say DON'T Transfer. If your going to continue with college and get something out of that. Then, I would say transfer all you want.

I have seen a few drivers that transfered and they did regret it. Starting from the bottom again sucks.

Also, Can you imagine if you were a Loader that had earned 5+ years of seniority and a new kid transfered to your center and you were told that he had more seniority than you.

There are some people in my center that say "If you don't have seniority, You don't have nothing".

Good Luck.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Check with your HR person but I know that here they only do education transfers after a year.
Regarding driving positions depending on the size of the facility it's probably a safe bet to say you are years away from full time. If you want to pursue that avenue, start at the location you intend to stay permanently. Then look into Saturday Air, or EAM bids.

jchimienti

well i have a similar question. i am going to college in tampa florida USF! GO BULLS!!! and am working the brooksville preload and will become a driver after i graduate and i am wanting to transfer up to PA again when im a driver bc up there it takes like 10 years to become a driver and down here takes like 2-3. well if i lost senority would i still be working a full 40+ hours a week being lowest seniority?

Bad Gas!

I've never seen a driver be able to transfer..Only part-time and you lose your seniority.I have seen FedX drivers transfer from Ga. to SanDiego..Fedx has a better transfer policy..

jchimienti

oh, well that sucks. well i heard a couple of our drivers transfered from brooksville to tampa a couple of years back but ill ask when the time comes

mikestrek

I've never seen a driver be able to transfer..Only part-time and you lose your seniority.I have seen FedX drivers transfer from Ga. to SanDiego..Fedx has a better transfer policy..
YES, but FedEx is Non Union AND low paying. UPS employees have a lot more to lose by transfering.

bellesotico

BOXstar
well i have a similar question. i am going to college in tampa florida USF! GO BULLS!!! and am working the brooksville preload and will become a driver after i graduate and i am wanting to transfer up to PA again when im a driver bc up there it takes like 10 years to become a driver and down here takes like 2-3. well if i lost senority would i still be working a full 40+ hours a week being lowest seniority?

My advice to you is don't put all your eggs in the "driving basket" if you get my meaning. Seriously. I wouldn't count on driving at any certain time period at any center regardless of a transfer or not. There are lots of factors to consider. Seniority being one. Qualifying is another. If you aren't driving right now, you better get in on Air or bid on EAMs..that can be a faster track.

Overpaid Union Thug

Transferring can be a good thing even though you lose your bid seniority. If you transfer from a building that has a long wait time for a full-time job to a building with a shorter waiting time then the loss of seniority pays off. That is what happened in my case. The opposite could happen though. I know of a few people that happened to but they were in college and had no intentions of going full-time at UPS so it didn't matter to them.

jchimienti

Transferring can be a good thing even though you lose your bid seniority. If you transfer from a building that has a long wait time for a full-time job to a building with a shorter waiting time then the loss of seniority pays off. That is what happened in my case. The opposite could happen though. I know of a few people that happened to but they were in college and had no intentions of going full-time at UPS so it didn't matter to them.

well i am at a building w/ a short wait list i guess since it takes like 2-3 years. and up there like 10. so i should be a driver by the time i graduate college in 4 years. so idk how the transfer policy works at ups any info would be great

bellesotico

BOXstar
well i am at a building w/ a short wait list i guess since it takes like 2-3 years. and up there like 10. so i should be a driver by the time i graduate college in 4 years. so idk how the transfer policy works at ups any info would be great

Like I said before, try out Saturday Air or bid on EAMs. You are still pretty early in the game. You will probably have to commit to your center for a year before they will let you transfer out, but think long and hard because every place is different. It might be better or way worse.

Total crap shoot.

jchimienti

yea i mean driving in florida would be nice b/c i know the area really well and the winters. but i have all my family/friends up there idk ill have to wait and see how it plays out b/c i mean this is like 3-4-5 years down the road

bellesotico

BOXstar
Ahh ok. Well you should get on the list and do that. Its a good way to get your feet wet in the way of driving. Plus you earn driving seniority points.

Sky

Wannabe
mikestrek,

Thanks for your response. I worked in the aviation industry before, and you could transfer to another station, and keep your seniority. I guess it depends on whose perspectives one looks at! It sucks when a senior guy transfers to your station, but it's great for that guy who transfers.

Anyway, I do have another question. I realize the this must vary from facility to facility, but on average how long can one expect to stay part-time before being able to go full-time (as a loader?)

I suspect the wait to become a driver is even longer, and also based on seniority?

Thanks again!