Trump's Right to Work legislation. Where does it leave us?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Until the Republicans destroy the Unions and we all are working for minimum wage and no benefits. Some of us are still fighting back.
That's funny considering this is a thread made 4 years ago to cry about how Trump was going to destroy unions. Yet here we are, and nothing happened.

Fact is, Democrats don't care about unions any more than Republicans do. They just use them to get votes and campaign contributions, then sell them down the river once they're elected.

That's funny considering this is a thread made 4 years ago to cry about how Trump was going to destroy unions. Yet here we are, and nothing happened.

Fact is, Democrats don't care about unions any more than Republicans do. They just use them to get votes and campaign contributions, then sell them down the river once they're elected.
Maybe they do but the Republicans make no secret that they work for big business and their fat cat donations.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
RTW laws are a Republican plan to destroy Unions in this country. Why would anyone pay Union dues when they have the same benefits and protection as dues paying members? I can understand starting PT employees questioning why they should pay dues for a minimum wage PT job with no benefits. Same with 22.4 delivery drivers being paid half the wages with no excessive OT protection as regular delivery drivers.

Like I said, I disagree with unions having to represent non-dues paying, non-members. There is no justification for that. They should be more than happy that they get the same compensation and benefits that dues paying members get.

But RTW is also a response to the exact issues you are pointing out. Being forced to pay dues to a union that isn't representing you very well, or being completely at the mercy of the company with no representation, are arguments for RTW. If unions want to fight back against RTW laws, they need to do better at representing their members, and they need to do better at organizing so that the political will swings away from RTW.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
But the cancel warriors are helping steer corporations away from republicans.
Get woke or go broke. The Democrats use it as a gate keeping tool as well. Just see how much the MSNDC and CNN talking heads eviscerated Bernie Sanders. Stick Michelle Obama and Kamala Harris front and center so if you dare to step up against big pharma and the military industrial complex, get called a racist sexist. I present this recent, absurd article as well...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion...-students-get-a-lesson-in-subtle-15909700.php

11.19igrad

We'll see how some of the anti-union hourlies on this forum feel when they're personally affected by this.

"A national “right to work” law would be the Holy Grail of right wing anti-labor forces who have despised unions for decades. There is no law that would be more detrimental to union membership. You need only look at the state-by-state union membership numbers to see how bad it could get. It’s not going overboard to imagine national union numbers could fall by half in short order. Unions would still exist, but they would have to work immeasurably harder to maintain their financial stability and relationships with members. All legally enshrined stability would be gone. Such a law would make every workplace in America an uphill battle for organized labor. And since unionization is one of the only things that average workers today can do to improve their economic position, this would undoubtedly exacerbate economic inequality, increase the power of corporations over their employees, and make it harder for Americans to have any hope of a middle class lifestyle."

National "Right to Work" Law Would Be The Union Apocalypse
just pick yourself up by the bootstraps, get a job and work hard! Thats the american way! sending thoughts and prayers!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can understand starting PT employees questioning why they should pay dues for a minimum wage PT job with no benefits. Same with 22.4 delivery drivers being paid half the wages with no excessive OT protection as regular delivery drivers.
So you’re agreeing with RTW

TexasBlues

Get woke or go broke. The Democrats use it as a gate keeping tool as well. Just see how much the MSNDC and CNN talking heads eviscerated Bernie Sanders. Stick Michelle Obama and Kamala Harris front and center so if you dare to step up against big pharma and the military industrial complex, get called a racist sexist. I present this recent, absurd article as well...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion...-students-get-a-lesson-in-subtle-15909700.php

xwsxwsxwsxswxswx.jpg