Trying to get a job as a feeder driver in South Jersey.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
By that logic, the bumped Feeder driver that dealt with “grueling” hours could’ve went to package and had it made?
You try staying up all night, then catch some zzz's during the day with your crew over there. Get back to us.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You try staying up all night, then catch some zzz's during the day with your crew over there. Get back to us.
That’s why I’m waiting to go. And will bump whatever junior driver is necessary to get daywork. All the while the junior man hadn’t thought about his company seniority or that a burnt out package mule would come take his spot. I did my time. He can do his, whichever way he chooses.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That’s why I’m waiting to go. And will bump whatever junior driver is necessary to get daywork. All the while the junior man hadn’t thought about his company seniority or that a burnt out package mule would come take his spot. I did my time. He can do his, whichever way he chooses.
You were a off the street hire no? That sounds like a response one would make, scabbing their way in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It is what it is. Usually, the dude from package doesn't want to work nights for his or wifey's convenience. Later on, it is easier to change schedules, so they want to waltz in and bump guys that for years had to live with the grueling hours that is feeders.
"Grueling hours in feeders"? Are you trying to be funny? Feeders is an absolute cakewalk compared to package. The reason guys work so many hours in feeders is because it's so easy, we didn't even have 9.5 language because nobody cares about it. If it wasn't for the DOT hours limit half those guys would be working 80 hours/week by choice.
And saying "It is what it is" doesn't sound like a good reason for taking hard earned seniority away from a fellow teamster, we don't do that here thankfully.
You were a off the street hire no? That sounds like a response one would make, scabbing their way in.
Aren't you the one saying that these off the street "scabs" should be able to select work ahead of drivers with more company seniority?

ManInBrown

Lawnside doesn't have classification seniority, which is a huge plus. You never lose your FT seniority. Strongest local in Jersey imho. If you're coming off the street your best bet is a weak local like 177 which will allow you to select work ahead of guys who have worked for the company for 25 years as long as you get into feeders one day before they do.
177 is not weak. That one rule is BS, but there is nothing else about 177 that is weak. One of the strongest locals in the country. Still get Black Friday off paid. When I filed for 9.5 in package, I was paid within three weeks on every single grievance. The classification seniority goes back forever. It’s a stupid rule, but it is what it is. We’ve lobbied to get it changed over the years but it’s just too difficult. It’s benefited to many people to have the numbers to get it changed.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
177 is not weak. That one rule is BS, but there is nothing else about 177 that is weak.
I was just jerking your chain, I don't really think 177 is weak and there are some good things about in the supplement. But the fact is if you're an off the street feeder hire you will be better off in 177 than at Lawnside because of the classification seniority.

ManInBrown

I was just jerking your chain, I don't really think 177 is weak and there are some good things about in the supplement. But the fact is if you're an off the street feeder hire you will be better off in 177 than at Lawnside because of the classification seniority.
I don’t agree. You would be better off in the long run once you’re hired, but not better off to get in the door. Sure, once you’re there and that 15 year package driver comes up you have him beat.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don’t agree. You would be better off in the long run once you’re hired, but not better off to get in the door. Sure, once you’re there and that 15 year package driver comes up you have him beat.
That's my point. To be fair though no matter where the guy ends up it's the best job in the trucking industry so he really can't go wrong.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Yeah and I’m sixteen years in a package car. One of few members who ever go to local meetings and get involved as well. Not my fault any part timer sixteen years ago didn’t want to drive. They all sit inside still, with record hiring going on. You can keep that talk, buncha nonsense.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We all came off the street at some point, even if we started as part timers. There's nothing wrong with it. But you shouldn't be able to select work ahead of union members who have more time with the company. You want to select work ahead of a 20-year man, then stick around for 21. Simple concept.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It is what it is. Usually, the dude from package doesn't want to work nights for his or wifey's convenience. Later on, it is easier to change schedules, so they want to waltz in and bump guys that for years had to live with the grueling hours that is feeders.

Doesent matter that’s what seniority is about it sucks until you have it