TSA understands zero tolerance

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Supervisors can push subordinants within UPS's zero tolerance work place violence policy.
Who would have thought the goverment would get it right?

TSA: 8 US air marshals fired for drinking on job; 6 others suspended - BostonHerald.com

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Supervisors can push subordinants within UPS's zero tolerance work place violence policy.

TSA: 8 US air marshals fired for drinking on job; 6 others suspended - BostonHerald.com

Thanks for your opinion that the government got it right.
After reading the article, I'm not so sure.
However, any comparison that says a person or entity is different from the government is certainly a compliment.
This is highly unusual of you to compliment UPS ... I guess anything is possible.

btrlov

I use to work for TSA....TSA only cares about public perception..... if it were not in public view, they would not have cared. And most likely depending on their service record, there firing will be downgraded to a suspension or demotion down the line.

BrownSuit

Not sure what the government getting it right has to do with workplace violence, this article is strictly about drinking on the job. Do you have a specific incident that you feel UPS has not gotten right and an article supporting that the government has taken a different course of action?

As for the article, it references an appeal process that the employees can go through to get their jobs back. While union employees would have a panel and non-union employees would have a process to challenge their termination, it would be nothing like a government appeal. I think everybody would agree that termination for drinking on the job with UPS is not something that can be easily challenged.

I am by no means stating that UPS is perfect, but if you are going to use an example to demonstrate a point, use one that is relevant to the point you are trying to make. If you have a situation in mind where you feel the zero-tolerance policy was not followed, there is a website and phone number that I would encourage you to report it to. Note that the disciplinary action in this article was a result of conduct being reported to a similar website.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not sure what the government getting it right has to do with workplace violence, this article is strictly about drinking on the job. Do you have a specific incident that you feel UPS has not gotten right and an article supporting that the government has taken a different course of action?

As for the article, it references an appeal process that the employees can go through to get their jobs back. While union employees would have a panel and non-union employees would have a process to challenge their termination, it would be nothing like a government appeal. I think everybody would agree that termination for drinking on the job with UPS is not something that can be easily challenged.

I am by no means stating that UPS is perfect, but if you are going to use an example to demonstrate a point, use one that is relevant to the point you are trying to make. If you have a situation in mind where you feel the zero-tolerance policy was not followed, there is a website and phone number that I would encourage you to report it to. Note that the disciplinary action in this article was a result of conduct being reported to a similar website.

Nice try!!!
I wasn't trying to link the two offenses, nor was I trying to compare them as parallel.
The point was as to the enforcement of a "zero tolerance policy".
Do you contest the existence of a zero tolerance workplace violence policy at UPS?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Thanks for your opinion that the government got it right.
After reading the article, I'm not so sure.
However, any comparison that says a person or entity is different from the government is certainly a compliment.
This is highly unusual of you to compliment UPS ... I guess anything is possible.

Circle the wagons!!!
First lession in management class 101.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not sure if you meant lesion or lesson but circle the wagon is lesson 5 in Management 103.

Lesson 1 in Management 102 does have a section on recognizing automatons with lesions.

Lesson ? : Divert attention with any means possible, even spelling errors. Slight of hand.

Re-Raise

Bubble is right. It is pretty simple. Either there is a zero tolerance policy against work place violence or there isn't.

You can't defend a management employee pushing an hourly. If I get frustrated and decide to shove a management employee across the belt and sprawling onto the floor ( which I could do, and have often imagined doing) I would expect the consequences.

Do you understand the meaning of the word hypocritical ?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bubble is right. It is pretty simple. Either there is a zero tolerance policy against work place violence or there isn't.

You can't defend a management employee pushing an hourly. If I get frustrated and decide to shove a management employee across the belt and sprawling onto the floor ( which I could do, and have often imagined doing) I would expect the consequences.

This is UPS's interpretation of what is meant by a policy of zero tolerance with respect to violence in the workplace:

If an investigation reveals that this policy has been violated, such conduct will be dealt with appropriately. This may include
disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment of person(s) in violation of this policy.

What you or I (or anyone else) thinks is irrelevant.

This is UPS's interpretation of what is meant by a policy of zero tolerance with respect to violence in the workplace:

If an investigation reveals that this policy has been violated, such conduct will be dealt with appropriately. This may include
disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment of person(s) in violation of this policy.

Basically right and wrong don't matter. If a teamster does it its too the panel. If its management to an hourly they will deny it or move the said person. I kno how it goes and I expect it. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Double Standards

Same difference???

over9five

Staff member
I'm with Bubblehead. If you break a "zero tolerance policy" and you still work here, then it is NOT a zero tolerance policy.

Re-Raise

Sounds like "zero tolerance" actually means "varying degrees of tolerance" depending upon who you are.

Are lawsuits irrelevant?