Tucson Shooting !

curiousbrain

wow what a theory. !!!

no goober boogeyman in that theory.

which reminds me the missus is mad at me for not putting the toilet seat down, should I blame the government or tell her the chickens have come home to roost?

Because not putting the toilet seat down and shooting people are commensurate acts.

wow what a theory. !!!

no goober boogeyman in that theory.

which reminds me the missus is mad at me for not putting the toilet seat down, should I blame the government or tell her the chickens have come home to roost?

Tell her it hinges up as well as down.

curiousbrain

it was meant to be an editorial in support of personal accountability.

As a personal belief, I'm all for personal accountability; I just don't see the equivalence between shooting someone and putting the toilet seat down. The actions are so wildly different, and presumably the feelings leading up to them are of a varying complexity, that I don't see the parallel.

That being said, I might just be thinking about it too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbsam

Staff member
Halelejah! I also HATE hearing how how it's always caused by something else (groups, people, upbringing). YOU, and only YOU are responsible for your own actions.

That's a very simple idea that becomes awfully muddied. Are you and you alone also responsible for your own inactions?

klein

Für Meno :)
I believe everyone gets influenced by their surroundings.
Don't even need to go back far in history.

Like how it was a big NO NO for a white person to date a black person. Those were the society rules back then.
Go even further back, and people would (with great pleasure) watch public executions, such as hanging, head chopping, etc.

We become what society teaches us to be normal (or right).

Even today, we are influenced by those around us.
(teens hanging out with drug users, will become drug users, and so on).

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
:sad-little:One of the major problems in America and the World today.
Every bad or evil event is "someone elses" fault.
The Arizona shooting is a terrible tradegy and my prayers and condolences go to the Congresswoman,the Judges family and all who were touched by this savage.
It was NOT Arizona's fault.
It was not political discourse fault --harsh or not.
It was not Sarah Palin's fault.
It was not the Tea parties fault
It was not talk radio or TV
It was not the politicians Democrat or Republican
It was not the "GUNS" fault.

The young thug who had previous problems with the law ,behavioral problems in school, rejected by the army is responsible for the senseless shootings.

I personally hope that after his trial by jury that he will be promply put to death.
He and he alone is responsible for this hideous crime.:sad-little:
Island, Thank you. Thank you for seeing beyond all the garbage that has been thrown into this tragedy. The fact is this young man is emotionally disturbed.

There was an interview of a woman and she said it best. (not verbatim) - Everyone has the right to their own ideas and views but no one has the right to bring violence into it. The victims did not ask for this.

This shooting is a tragedy that no one could have ever imagined (Gov. Brewer). Hopefully it will never happen again.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It is my contention that that is a gross oversimplification of how people respond to situations - in this case, an extremely long and complex thing such as an upbringing. If you disagree with that, that is fine; it is equally possible that I am right or wrong, as it is for you, as well.
Years ago I read a book called Guilty by Reason of Insanity, which caused me to rethink my position on the death penalty (at the time I was a pretty staunch supporter) and the assumptions I had about who was ultimately responsible for a lot of the horrific crimes we read about.

tieguy

Banned
As a personal belief, I'm all for personal accountability; I just don't see the equivalence between shooting someone and putting the toilet seat down. The actions are so wildly different, and presumably the feelings leading up to them are of a varying complexity, that I don't see the parallel.

That being said, I might just be thinking about it too hard.

I think we can over analyze a comment if we are not careful. Or misanalyze it. I've certainly been guilty of such here.

In this case my comment was directed at the government done it conspiracy rants not the shootings theirselves.

over9five

Staff member
I've changed my mind. I think we should immediately release the shooter with a pat on the back and an apology. It is now evident to me that his upbringing excuses him pointing a gun at that girl and shooting her in the head.

What a mean guy I was for wanting to blame him for his own actions.

brett636

Everything I've seen so far indicates that the guy had serious mental problems, not political problems.

Agreed. Go to youtube and see some of the videos he has posted. They are just bizarre by anyone's standards. Truly a grade A fruitcake if I do say so myself.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've changed my mind. I think we should immediately release the shooter with a pat on the back and an apology. It is now evident to me that his upbringing excuses him pointing a gun at that girl and shooting her in the head.

What a mean guy I was for wanting to blame him for his own actions.
Yup, because those are the only two options with regards to the shooter: death penalty, or pat on the back/apology....

over9five

Staff member
Would you say that he is a product of his environment or that his actions are his and his alone?

I think regardless of ones environment, your actions are always yours and yours alone. I would also argue that many people probably have had worse environments and still won't start shooting people.
Why excuse his actions?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think regardless of ones environment, your actions are always yours and yours alone. I would also argue that many people probably have had worse environments and still won't start shooting people.
Why excuse his actions?

In no way do I excuse his actions. This is one of those instances where I would love to see the punishment fit the crime.

bbsam

Staff member
Is the victim also responsible for his or her own actions? How far are we from saying that the victim's actions put him or her in a position to be hurt?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Would you say that he is a product of his environment or that his actions are his and his alone?
I think it's way too early to make that kind of assessment.

Why excuse his actions?
I don't think anyone here has suggested excusing his actions, obviously shooting innocent people is inexcusable regardless of who does it or why. But holding an insane person accountable for being insane seems a little pointless, although it is convenient.

over9five

Staff member
I don't think anyone here has suggested excusing his actions, obviously shooting innocent people is inexcusable regardless of who does it or why. But holding an insane person accountable for being insane seems a little pointless, although it is convenient.

I wouldn't hold him accountable for being insane, but if he kills someone - insane or not - I want him held accountable.