Turkey

JL 0513

It provided them a reasonable excuse for the cuts. I just think it's sad they cut a small gesture of appreciation and have adopted an apathetic attitude towards all employees.

True, for about $12-15 per employee, a small thing like a turkey goes a long way. I think the savings end up being a net loss for the company when you cut out every last gesture.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True, for about $12-15 per employee, a small thing like a turkey goes a long way. I think the savings end up being a net loss for the company when you cut out every last gesture.

It was much less than that.

I would have much preferred each center be given a set amount to designate to a local charity.

At $33/hr I can buy my own damn turkey.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It was much less than that.

I would have much preferred each center be given a set amount to designate to a local charity.

At $33/hr I can buy my own damn turkey.
It's not about the turkey but the gesture of appreciation. When your beautiful grand daughter gets older and picks out a "World's Greatest Grampa" mug as a gift for you, are you going to turn it down because you can buy your own damn mug? I sincerely doubt it. You'll graciously accept it as a beautiful gesture on her part

upschuck

It's not about the turkey but the gesture of appreciation. When your beautiful grand daughter gets older and picks out a "World's Greatest Grampa" mug as a gift for you, are you going to turn it down because you can buy your own damn mug? I sincerely doubt it. You'll graciously accept it as a beautiful gesture on her part
And will be his favorite, even if it is ugly.

JL 0513

Ya, none of car about the turkey, it's the point of the company doing something nice. Like giving a woman flowers. I don't think she gets too excited about the actual flowers, but rather that you thought to get her them.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
You need to research how the tradition started and why it ended.

Let me take a shot:

It started because Jim Casey was a good man who cared about the employees.

It ended because the bean counters down on Sugar Mountain in Sandy Spring noticed the stock would bump up 1/10th of 1 percent on the last Friday of every November if they discontinued the practice.

How's my aim?

Anthonysg0113

Ya, none of car about the turkey, it's the point of the company doing something nice. Like giving a woman flowers. I don't think she gets too excited about the actual flowers, but rather that you thought to get her them.
In our center, they used to give money in addition to the turkey.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let me take a shot:

It started because Jim Casey was a good man who cared about the employees.

It ended because the bean counters down on Sugar Mountain in Sandy Spring noticed the stock would bump up 1/10th of 1 percent on the last Friday of every November if they discontinued the practice.

How's my aim?

Not even close.

I was told that it started during the Depression.

rod

Retired 22 years

What the hell do you mean 10 to 12 bucks per employ for a turkey? I bet UPS got those for probably 29 or 39 cents a pound back then. They were small turkeys so they probably ended up being about 3 or 4 bucks apiece---if even that. Monkey Butt---were you in charge of buying turkeys?

over9five

Staff member
What the hell do you mean 10 to 12 bucks per employ for a turkey? I bet UPS got those for probably 29 or 39 cents a pound back then. They were small turkeys so they probably ended up being about 3 or 4 bucks apiece---if even that. Monkey Butt---were you in charge of buying turkeys?
Factor in the QUANTITY that UPS bought.... they had to be pretty inexpensive.

JL 0513

"Back then" is 2008 and turkeys were about the same price as today. I Remember them being at least 12 pounders. Weren't they handled and trucked around by our own union labor?