There are two brand new books out about UPS -

Big Brown: The Untold Story of UPS
by Greg Niemann
Jossey-Bass, 256 pages, $24.95

and

Driving Change: The UPS Approach to Business
by Mike B and Fred Dalzell
Hyperion, 304 pages, $24.95.

The first author, Greg Niemann, is a former UPS loader, driver, and manager who provides his own inside scoop about the company. He says that comedian Bernie Mac, CNN's Larry King, actor Kevin Costner, and presidential hopeful John Edwards all worked for UPS at one time.

UPS has not "officially recognized" Greg's book :ohmy: but they have approved Driving Change: The UPS Approach to Business. :closedeye

Driving Change is not available yet but Amazon.com will send it out when it is.

Can't wait to read both....

Delivering the story of leader in shipping - The Boston Globe

If you want to order on Amazon, here's the link -

Amazon.com: Big Brown: The Untold Story of UPS: Books: Greg Niemann

Last edited:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Sammie...I've read Greg's book. WOW!!!! That's the best way to describe it. My father is a salesman/entrepreneur and I gave him the book, asked if he'd like to read it. His eyes lit up as he gestured for it and said, "I wanna read that!" He read about 20 pages and said, "I can see why you like UPS so much. This guy's love of the company shines right through in the first 5 pages." -Rocky

Griff

Visiting this site after work makes me wonder if too much brown is in my blood. If I start reading entire books about UPS off the clock I'd hope someone would come and take me away in a straight-jacket. No offense to those that choose to do this, but most of us spend too much time at UPS to begin with.

Sammie

Visiting this site after work makes me wonder if too much brown is in my blood. If I start reading entire books about UPS off the clock I'd hope someone would come and take me away in a straight-jacket. No offense to those that choose to do this, but most of us spend too much time at UPS to begin with.

I can understand your viewpoint.

But we're all "living the dream" here (or have lived it)... and I'm curious how accurate these books are compared to the real thing....:laugh:

constructively dissatisfi

Accurate is in the eye of the Beholder. Greg Niemann spent 30 something years at UPS, so he's certainly got plenty of first-hand experience. But UPS is a very big company. How any one of us views the company is based on our own personal experiences that are probably very different from Greg's. He seems to have spent his entire career in the Pacific region. I've been enough different places in enough different jobs to have seen some of the best of UPS, but a lot more of the worst. Over the past ten years it's been MUCH more of the worst. And Greg's been away for over 10 years so his perspective isn't based on any recent experience. The UPS of today has almost nothing in common with the UPS of 1995 when he left. But his book was an enjoyable and interesting read.

UPS Lifer

I read the book. This was the first book I read that I was not required to read since grammer school!!!
I just recently retired and I thought that this would be a good way to bring some closure. I agree with you about spending too much time at UPS .... However, This book tells about the legacy and history of this company in a story book form. It was very enjoyable reading. I feel the 35 years that covered my stay was pretty dead on BUT I was also from the Pac Region so there you go. In fact, I remember reading the "Big Idea" that Greg published for Metro LA!

I would highly reccomend this book to get a flavor of what the entire 20th century was all about not just UPS but business in general.