Two Tier Pay for Driver ?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Many of us nearing the end of our careers, with kids finishing college, house nearly paid off could afford to live on a smaller wage for a few years. If I'm debt free at the 25 year mark I still have to go to 30 to get a nice pension.

Well, I wasn't really referring to people close to retirement. I was talking about people with much more time remaining.

beentheredonethat

Didn't that already happen in the early 80's with the PT'ers? You can send the dollar you lost to a charity of your choice.

Drivers are not pters. You made no point with the fact it happened to them back in the early 80's.

I love how you get your facts wrong. My first sentence said it happened in the early 80's with the pter's yet you said I made no point that it happened in the early 80's.

beentheredonethat

Anybody willing to even think twice about letting this happen or even come to a vote need s to be shot on the spot. It doesn't matter what size bonus, what size raises on pay or pension,it shouldn't be discussed or tossed out in any forum. Keep watching the selfishness show up and you will find out who your dealing with in this forum and in the work place. SHOT on the SPOT !!! Figuratively of course,.... yeah of course.

I guess you choose to ignore the sentence after that.

Dracula... the first sentence after his shooting comment does not negate what he said. I quoted it for you so you can read. His last statement came close when he said "figurately of course" however, when he added the "yeah of course", it changed the meaning of his statement.

ICU is a bully who likes to pick on people. 98% of the drivers are great folks who do a difficult job and earn a good pay. However, he's the type that makes teamsters look bad.

Buck Fifty

Dracula... the first sentence after his shooting comment does not negate what he said. I quoted it for you so you can read. His last statement came close when he said "figurately of course" however, when he added the "yeah of course", it changed the meaning of his statement.

ICU is a bully who likes to pick on people. 98% of the drivers are great folks who do a difficult job and earn a good pay. However, he's the type that makes teamsters look bad.

And 99 percent of Mgmt like you, don't do their job and are not people I would hang out with. Only reason you think I'm a bully is because you got you feelings hurt. Been a steward for 8 years(toot toot) now, and even when I wasn't I bullied only the people I needed to (mainly mgmt). So get off your high horse and go curl back up in your fetal position and for Pete's sake quit being a tattletale.

Buck Fifty

That's what you seem to call it. I was just humoring you, so you didn't tattle on me or hit me with some of that bad rep again. (oooooooooo).

I call it standing up for what's right. Course you go around telling people what they should say and what they shouldn't. Telling them what they meant and what they didn't. So it really wouldn't matter how I answered it now would it ? You got it all figured out.

Keep living in fear. I can smell it all over you. What grade are you in anyway ? He' bullying me !:cigarsmoker:

InsideUPS

Come on Man, seriously ! People betting the house, spreading the fear. I would personally like to know if anybody would consider voting YES on a contract that raised this issue. I'll give you my insight . WILL NOT HAPPEN. Not much of a gambler yet I'd would probably like ya'lls house better than mine. Just quit with all the BS or keep it friendly. $1 for any& all takers. Fill it up.

My prediction on this topic is that there will be a "two tier" driving wage that is passed with this contract. Current employees will be "grandfathered" into current pay rates with all new employees being capped at a significantly lower pay rate. "Why?", you may ask......

1) The "newborn" are not here to represent themselves and therefore cannot vote.
2) The employees that do vote are older and are looking out for their welfare......
3) Contract lesson 101 - Contracts for the past 35 years have been a simple redistribution of the wealth.....no real net gains or losses.. In order to offer aging drivers incentives such as buyouts, increased pensions, retirement health benefits, etc.....that money will come from "someone"....yes...you are correct....that eager new guy or girl off the street who would be glad to work for $15.00/hour and drive a brown truck.

In summary, the two tier driver wage will become a reality with this contract. If you are with the company now, you will not have to be concerned. Just don't tell your buddy off the street that he will get the same if he comes to work for UPS. The hiring freeze on drivers and reduction in drivers over the past several years has not been by accident......it has been by design...

Buck Fifty

My prediction on this topic is that there will be a "two tier" driving wage that is passed with this contract. Current employees will be "grandfathered" into current pay rates with all new employees being capped at a significantly lower pay rate. "Why?", you may ask......

1) The "newborn" are not here to represent themselves and therefore cannot vote.
2) The employees that do vote are older and are looking out for their welfare......
3) Contract lesson 101 - Contracts for the past 35 years have been a simple redistribution of the wealth.....no real net gains or losses.. In order to offer aging drivers incentives such as buyouts, increased pensions, retirement health benefits, etc.....that money will come from "someone"....yes...you are correct....that eager new guy or girl off the street who would be glad to work for $15.00/hour and drive a brown truck.

In summary, the two tier driver wage will become a reality with this contract. If you are with the company now, you will not have to be concerned. Just don't tell your buddy off the street that he will get the same if he comes to work for UPS. The hiring freeze on drivers and reduction in drivers over the past several years has not been by accident......it has been by design...

So your good for a $1. Thank you for stepping up.

U

uber

Pay drivers $15/hr and you get the same kind of a worker you get at Fedex. Quality people aren't going to buy their time for years for a $15/hr job. Lets be real.

brown_trousers

I dont think we will actually get a two-tier pay scale.... But you really nailed the truth about the previous contract negotiations being just a redistribution of wealth. These contracts have no basis in "a fair days pay, for a fair days work", They are negotiated based on who at UPS can take the larger slice of the pie, while leaving the other group with a smaller slice.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I dont think we will actually get a two-tier pay scale.... But you really nailed the truth about the previous contract negotiations being just a redistribution of wealth. These contracts have no basis in "a fair days pay, for a fair days work", They are negotiated based on who at UPS can take the larger slice of the pie, while leaving the other group with a smaller slice.

Yes. There is only so much money.

InsideUPS

If the union even brings this to a vote we need to look for new leaders. By the way they won't.

I hope you are correct....and that I am wrong..... however....

Contract history does show that any "perceived" gains in the contract have been offset by losses to some other group of employees. For example, progression rate/time for drivers to reach full wage..... pension increases for current employees... "on the table" - significant increases to retirees in health care benefit costs...., part-time starting wages....still ($8.50/hr.).....part-time benefits...now must work 12-18 months compared to 6 months years ago... etc.........

AND NOT TO Mention......... SurePost. Even though our CURRENT contract is very clear about "Sub-contracting" our Union clearly enabled UPS to give this volume to the Post Office for for final delivery. This action by the IBT resulted in the loss of 30 to 40 driving routes in our building alone......so as you can see....you don't always get to vote on something that may negatively affect you......just sayin..