Typical Day Of Being Retired

What'dyabringmetoday???

It amazes me when I go down to my old hub and drivers come up and ask "what is being retired like?"
Many say they could have retired X years ago or something but also say they wouldnt know what to do.

I tell them how great retirement is and mean it. How everyday is a Saturday . How I am so busy now I don't know how I ever got things done when I was working . How you can live on the pension if you make some minor money changes. How if you plan right the social security can be all gravy.

I encourage drivers to retire as soon as possible while they still have some of their health left. Most are unhappy at UPS and tell me stories how things have gotten worse .( they always get worse, not better ) . They hardly talk about the money and benefits . They just say something like they don't know how they can afford to retire on about 1/3 pay because they bought a new house, kids in college, new toys etc.

Many of the retiree success stories I have heard over the years kinda share the same things. ALL of them PLANNED for retirement. They knew exactly what they were gonna do when they retired. If they worked it was at a job they loved to do. Or they started a business they love.

A typical day is like a Saturday or a day on vacation. You get up when you want. You do what you want when you want. The options are limitless and the best thing you don't have to wait for the weekend or vacation.

It's every day.
I'm surprised you can remember when you actually retired. Wait- I thought you never go to the hub other than to visit the shop. Hard to keep up with your stories...

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
When someone ask me how retirement is I tell them guys that retire spend all day every day on Browncafe talking about UPS stuff so you might as well keep working. 😁

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
When someone ask me how retirement is I tell them guys that retire spend all day every day on Browncafe talking about UPS stuff so you might as well keep working. 😁
I'm thinking there are quite a few still working that spend all day here. Same ones that bitch about working too many hours.

Re-Raise

We are empty nesters now. Both of our daughters are out of college and working in their fields,
one with her Masters and one with her Doctorate. They both got married in the last two years and we love their husbands.

One great part about being retired is having the time now to give back to our own parents. My wife’s mother is having some memory issues so we spend a lot of time taking care of her. She is able to still live on her own, but needs help. My parents are 93 and 90 yrs old. We built a house near them on our family farm and I check on them almost every day. They have always been there for me, and I am glad to have the time to give back.

I also golf about 3 times a week when the weather allows. I am in two golf leagues and have a group of other retirees that travel to the fun courses in our state. I have my handicap below 10 now and am looking forward to the senior tees in another year to take all the money. Lol

Oh yeah... poker..live and online

First grandchild ..a boy due in January!!

Just focusing on staying healthy, because we are really enjoying this point in our lives

We are empty nesters now. Both of our daughters are out of college and working in their fields,
one with her Masters and one with her Doctorate. They both got married in the last two years and we love their husbands.

One great part about being retired is having the time now to give back to our own parents. My wife’s mother is having some memory issues so we spend a lot of time taking care of her. She is able to still live on her own, but needs help. My parents are 93 and 90 yrs old. We built a house near them on our family farm and I check on them almost every day. They have always been there for me, and I am glad to have the time to give back.

I also golf about 3 times a week when the weather allows. I am in two golf leagues and have a group of other retirees that travel to the fun courses in our state. I have my handicap below 10 now and am looking forward to the senior tees in another year to take all the money. Lol

Oh yeah... poker..live and online

First grandchild ..a boy due in January!!

Just focusing on staying healthy, because we are really enjoying this point in our lives
You certainly earned it.

raceanoncr

Typical day? Get up whenever I want. Do coffee, read the paper (yes, the PAPER kind), eat sumthin, get on here and catch up with a bunch of sites, go sit, shower, go out in one of the garages (where there's music, office, chairs, BOOZE), run errands if need be (but NEVER go visit UPS. Ain't even driven past the building in 12 years), do supper, watch "Jeopardy", then movies that we DVRd, then bed and repeat cycle.

I don't get bored easily. Have had two hip, one knee replaced, one ankle with plates, 20 screws/pins and long recoup period for all those. Loved not doing anything but therapy.

Have a few cars we show and drive, a Harley Trike we ride, build model cars (No, I haven't quite grown up, either).

No, getting another job has never been in my future. I retired for a reason....I DIDN'T WANT TO WORK ANYMORE.

Don't financially need it, don't want it, won't do it. I'm comfortable.

For those that are still working and fretting about retire...you're eating yourselves up. For those that HAVE retired and are bored out of your skull, get a hobby, or sumthin that you love doing...volunteering...ANYTHING but don't cry that you shouldn't have retired. ENJOY your life. It's too short.

There. 'm done

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It was WONDERFUL being retired yesterday.
One of my kids had a birthday and we we did a nice lunch. Very lesiurely,not rushed.
in the Evening one of the Grandkids had a Fall Recital and i was able to make it with no problems.
It's NICE having the time to do what I want

What'dyabringmetoday???

I
It was WONDERFUL being retired yesterday.
One of my kids had a birthday and we we did a nice lunch. Very lesiurely,not rushed.
in the Evening one of the Grandkids had a Fall Recital and i was able to make it with no problems.
It's NICE having the time to do what I want
Sounds awesome. In a couple years you will enjoy more freedoms. Lol.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Just the opposite here. I could never go to bed early. Most nights I'm up until at least 2.am. Even when I worked I was always up until at least midnight.
Me, too.
Still got over 8 hours of sleep. The Center was 10 minutes from my house with a start time of 9.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Well, I retired 5 years ago come this April. I have no typical days anymore. I had 32 years of typical days. Now I do what the hell I want to every single day. I despise planning anything besides the 2 to 3 rounds of golf I play weekly. I set no alarm clock. I schedule everything at a time that doesn't require an alarm. If I wake up at 4am, I wake up at 4. If I wake up at 10am, I do. I have a general idea what I'm going to do on a given day, but I don't hold myself to any set plan. It's the most stress free I've been in my entire life, and I love it. I just laugh at anyone who says they'd be bored. There's so much more to life than work...oh so much more.

pkgdriver

Some locker clean out at the center today. 30yr old cooler was an early safe driving award.
F812A4B9-29C4-4BF9-BE17-3D8A757DF7ED.jpeg

73C15035-4F10-445D-9E49-47FEF91B8EC8.jpeg