Typical Day Of Being Retired

Johney

Can you even buy those anymore?
BD1CBBCC-621E-4139-9006-5B454BDFB091.jpeg

satellitedriver

View attachment 409512

Back when men were men. The younger generation of UPS drivers don't realize how easy they have it now.
I still travel with these maps in my personal truck. Every road in Texas and a map of all the USA roads. Even when I drove all through England and Ireland, I had a Rand McNally map as a backup for my GPS. I have that exact same cooler in my shop.
Used it as my lunch box in a coal mine from 1978 to 1985 and then used it from 1986 to 2014 as my lunch box when I drove for UPS. Now that cooler is in my shop, and I store electrical parts in it for possible future needs to repair something.
Waste not want not.

Commercial Inside Release

Same '80s cooler, too. After busting my ass as a bill poster all morning while it was cool out, I'd enjoy breakfast from that cooler on the catwalk of a billboard many stories above the interstate.

Traffic would backup for miles, and watching them scramble was fine entertainment.

rod

Retired 22 years
I still travel with these maps in my personal truck. Every road in Texas and a map of all the USA roads. Even when I drove all through England and Ireland, I had a Rand McNally map as a backup for my GPS. I have that exact same cooler in my shop.
Used it as my lunch box in a coal mine from 1978 to 1985 and then used it from 1986 to 2014 as my lunch box when I drove for UPS. Now that cooler is in my shop, and I store electrical parts in it for possible future needs to repair something.
Waste not want not.
I like to travel with paper maps also. I do use GPS but have been lead astray by it a few times. Once in Colorado it sent me up the side of a mountain at about a 50 degree angle pulling my toy hauler. I ended up in 4 wheel drive low range just to get up to where I could turn around. My wife was looking for a place to eat and it was too late before we realized we were headed up to a ski lodge. :-)

ManInBrown

It amazes me when I go down to my old hub and drivers come up and ask "what is being retired like?"
Many say they could have retired X years ago or something but also say they wouldnt know what to do.

I tell them how great retirement is and mean it. How everyday is a Saturday . How I am so busy now I don't know how I ever got things done when I was working . How you can live on the pension if you make some minor money changes. How if you plan right the social security can be all gravy.

I encourage drivers to retire as soon as possible while they still have some of their health left. Most are unhappy at UPS and tell me stories how things have gotten worse .( they always get worse, not better ) . They hardly talk about the money and benefits . They just say something like they don't know how they can afford to retire on about 1/3 pay because they bought a new house, kids in college, new toys etc.

Many of the retiree success stories I have heard over the years kinda share the same things. ALL of them PLANNED for retirement. They knew exactly what they were gonna do when they retired. If they worked it was at a job they loved to do. Or they started a business they love.

A typical day is like a Saturday or a day on vacation. You get up when you want. You do what you want when you want. The options are limitless and the best thing you don't have to wait for the weekend or vacation.

It's every day.
You lost me at when i go down to my old hub. Why would you do that? Forget about returning and visiting, I’m not even telling anyone I’m retiring. My supervisor will get a call morning of, informing him I’m done. Our #1 seniority driver retired a few months ago same way. 42 years. Called sup, I’m done. What day sup said, I’ve worked my last day he told him. My last day will be like any other day. And then I’ll be gone. Do you have business there? Do you mean you’re shipping something at the customer counter? Not exactly the type of place you return to for craps and giggles.

Last edited:

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
You lost me at when i go down to my old hub. Why would you do that? Forget about returning and visiting, I’m not even telling anyone I’m retiring. My supervisor will get a call morning of, informing him I’m done. Our #1 seniority driver retired a few months ago same way. 42 years. Called sup, I’m done. What day sup said, I’ve worked my last day he told him. My last day will be like any other day. And then I’ll be gone. Do you have business there? Do you mean you’re shipping something at the customer counter? Not exactly the type of place you return to for craps and giggles.

That’s the way to go out. I told my supervisor I didn’t want any recognition or to even mention I was leaving my last day. After work the last day I slipped out without seeing any supervisors. I have never been back to that building. If I have to ship a package I drop it off at a access point or UPS store.

Road Dog 56

Love being retired.
Can do what you want when you want.
Bored?
No way Jose. Have so much to do. never enough time to do everything we want.

Tell guys at work all the time . RETIRE! and enjoy life.

Money?
Not a problem if you planned ahead. You don't need as much as when you were working.

Road Dog 56

you mean you have no friends at work?

I like going down there to see friends and brag about being retired.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Love being retired.
Can do what you want when you want.
Bored?
No way Jose. Have so much to do. never enough time to do everything we want.

Tell guys at work all the time . RETIRE! and enjoy life.

Money?
Not a problem if you planned ahead. You don't need as much as when you were working.

@olroadbeech the class knows this is you how many other screen names do you have
You are one twisted little fella

Darmark7

you mean you have no friends at work?

I like going down there to see friends and brag about being retired.

If they are friends then see them other places than work. Why go see a friend at work where you can’t spend time with them. One of the great things about being retired is not having to drive to the UPS building.
I do know of drivers that complained about UPS and how much they hated it and then would show up there on their vacation. I didn’t complained about the job. I knew it afforded me a good life but I didn’t like it or the way the drivers was treated. Supervisors were really surprised when I said I wanted to leave with no mention. They never knew how I felt about them or UPS. I lived under the radar there and I left under the radar. While there I came in a few minutes before start time and left immediately after clocking out. I never hung around the office talking to supervisors. I did my job and went home to my family. The last thing I wanted to do was “shop talk” off the clock.

Last edited:

Road Dog 56

If they are friends then see them other places than work. Why go see a friend at work where you can’t spend time with them. One of the great things about being retired is not having to drive to the UPS building.
I do know of drivers that complained about UPS and how much they hated it and then would show up there on their vacation. I didn’t complained about the job. I knew it afforded me a good life but I didn’t like it or the way the drivers was treated. Supervisors were really surprised when I said I wanted to leave with no mention. They never knew how I felt about them or UPS. I lived under the radar there and I left under the radar. While there I came in a few minutes before start time and left immediately after clocking out. I never hung around the office talking to supervisors. I did my job and went home to my family. The last thing I wanted to do was “shop talk” off the clock.
I did the same.
Left and no one knew I was gone for months.

Darmark7

I did the same.
Left and no one knew I was gone for months.

I retired at the end of October 2020 and almost 2 months later around Christmas time a UPS driver delivered a package to my home. The driver looked at me and asked how I had the day off so close to Christmas. I laughed and told him I was retired. He said “I didn’t hear about that.” I said that was exactly how I wanted it.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Been out since Nov of '09.
I used to make fun of my kiddos for making such a big deal over coffee. You know, where it's from, grinding their own beans, etc. Just give me gas station coffee or whatever.
But now, in retirement, I've realized one must give the proper time and product to ensure the perfect cup of brew.
You guessed it. I done went and got me one of them there Keurig things. I'm a master barista.