U-P-Mess

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I read that article earlier today. I blame the shipper for not insuring the engine for it's true cost. And, for not putting address information inside the crate with the merchandise. As for a serial number, it was a custom-built piece, not an OEM engine.

Maybe @turdferguson could chime in and impart some of his vast knowledge.

barnyard

KTM rider
Reading the article, to me, it looks like the shipper is the one that should be roasted. The shipper under-insured and then would not follow up with the claims process. Even though the motor buyer was paying for the shipping, in the end, the shipper is the one that blew it.

UPS did not do anything to help themselves, though.

bagpipes

Lesson of the day: if you order anything custom-made, pay to have a serial number inscribed in a font the overgoods clerk can read. The more expensive the job, the larger the font.

barnyard

KTM rider
Actually, for something that expensive, the buyer should have issued a call tag. That why he would have been the shipper and it would have been insured for the correct amount.

bumped

I read that article earlier today. I blame the shipper for not insuring the engine for it's true cost. And, for not putting address information inside the crate with the merchandise. As for a serial number, it was a custom-built piece, not an OEM engine.

Maybe @turdferguson could chime in and impart some of his vast knowledge.

UPS hasn't paid any of the the claim from the parts, under insured or not. The shipping invoice was still in the package.

MendozaJ

I think his argument was that UPS never attempted delivery because it never even made it to MI, while UPS deemed it an unclaimed package and auctioned it off. The time period between "where's my package" to auction consists of UPS saying "we can't find it," despite the item being only one of four that exist in the world (and the only one not under a hood of a car).

barnyard

KTM rider
UPS had many opportunities to do well here and did not, no doubt about it. The 'take down the video' demand was ludicrous. To me, it looks like every time an employee had the choice of 'put a little effort in, do the right thing' or 'screw it, time for me to go home, let someone else worry about it;' the latter was chosen. A shame that so many people screwed the pooch.

UPSGUY72

The shipper new what the engine cost and should have built in the cost of insuring the package in the price of the engine. This is also why you put a copy of your shipping records and or invoice inside the package your sending..

If the shipper wasn't cheap none of this would have happened.

oldngray

nowhere special
The shipper new what the engine cost and should have built in the cost of insuring the package in the price of the engine. This is also why you put a copy of your shipping records and or invoice inside the package your sending..

If the shipper wasn't cheap none of this would have happened.

The shipper probably insured their own manufacturing cost and not the retail price to the customer. The customer did get screwed but mostly by the shipper though UPS also failed at several points. It is definitely riskier when it is international.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I am not sure what the guy was saying.
He refused the insured amount and was trying to get more than what he insured it for?
The way I understood it, is the shipper under insured it. (dumb) the receiver was wanting a full payment for the cost of the engine, understandable since he bought the same engine twice. UPS was only offering to pay what it was insured for. In retrospect, that couple of thousand dollars that they kept in their pockets bought them a whole lot of bad publicity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The way I understood it, is the shipper under insured it. (dumb) the receiver was wanting a full payment for the cost of the engine, understandable since he bought the same engine twice. UPS was only offering to pay what it was insured for. In retrospect, that couple of thousand dollars that they kept in their pockets bought them a whole lot of bad publicity.

...whereas paying above the insured amount would set an unwise precedent...

Knowingly under insuring to save a few bucks turned out to be an unwise move.

Bad publicity? This story will fade away in a few days.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is yet another example of how some shippers are failing their customers. The package must have fell apart sometime between leaving it's origin and arriving in Louisville. The most important step in shipping is properly packing/taping/marking (inside and out) and the shipper likely failed in those categories.

And the customer in the article is another example of the ignorant customers we deal with. Its the shoot the messenger mentality.

And UPS obviously got put in a bad situation there. We all know all about how they roll and therefore know they can be extremely shady. But based on the information given I can't help but side with UPS on this one. It's hard to go the extra mile to help a customer when both the shipper and the receiver are ignorant screw ups and are costing us money.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Bad publicity? This story will fade away in a few days.
yeah, but it will live forever on youtube. It will be the gift that keeps on giving. If UPS didn't think it was bad pub, they wouldn't have asked him to take it down. UPS had multiple chances to make the situation better but they chose not to.
tumblr_moevd0j9CF1rby04wo1_500.gif

Last edited:

bagpipes

Makes you wonder what kind of packaging the engine would have been in - half pallet with zip ties, pallet-wood crate with Brad nails, or some 2x4s and carriage bolts? We've all probably seen pallets come apart on the irreg belt.

MendozaJ

He refused to accept UPS's explanation that it went unclaimed since no attempt to deliver was ever made. It never even made it to his state. "We didn't know where it was, or who it belonged to, so we auctioned it off in Missouri," just doesn't fly when he ultimately received the item with the original packing slip still attached.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I picked up an RS at the UPS Store yesterday. It was dropped off by a college kid who had used a Frosted Flakes box to ship it in. We will return it to him on Monday.