Ugh -- Starting out as a driver is HARD!

a911scanner

Selection time is definitely off -- finding packages quickly in the back of that car is a trick!

When I was new, I had to figure this out for myself. I didn't know the right question to ask a vet, so I didn't ask.

2 ways to improve selection time behind the bulkhead...

1) When looking for packages at your stop, every package you touch until you find the one(s) you need for that stop should be organized in PAL order. If you touch 5 packages before finding the correct one, organize them in order.

2) Spend 10-20 minutes after your businesses organizing the packages on each shelf in order. Although this seems like a counter-productive waste-of-time, you will gain much more time later by being able to go directly to the exact package(s) you need for each of the remaining stops.

Also, no matter which method you choose for this, make sure to push the 30" selection forward as often as you can to minimize wasted steps.

PS Organizing the bulk on the floor under the shelves in numerical order is also a big help.

Good luck

bugsbunny

Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.
You're doing great on your first week by yourself. It will get easier & better just give 3 more weeks than you will be done by 6 or 7 instead of 9pm.

Nine5

Ya I suggest writing addresses and or just the numbers on the packages especially ones on the floor. If you dont mind and youre not in the loaders way try going in during the last 30min of preload and sort the 1000 2000 3000 shelf by writing the addresses. After air go through it a little more for like 10-15 min. Abbreviate the street names too.
Your telling him to work for free!?!??

You must be a Sup

BestMgrEver

Hot girl summer
Your telling him to work for free!?!??
When you're trying to qualify. Anything goes to get it. Let me remind you, a job as a driver is probably 90% better than whatever else you could get with most of you qualifications. Since most of ya didn't go to college.

Antfizz

A few tips my on road sup gave me... I’m starting week 3 of probation.

This works because I have a NON time commitment route (end of day).

1A) Drive your route on your off days.

1) If you have a regular scheduled afternoon pickup, and you also have a delivery for that location, sometimes the business owner will tell me when I deliver you DONT need to come back later as they don’t have anything ready to ship today, so I stop complete that pickup early.

2) EDD has me delivering to 1 business usually from 12-2pm, and I have a daily pickup at 3 pm. I skip their location (keep working EDD) and make the delivery at 3 pm when I pickup their stuff (saves me a stop).

3) I have some businesses that are closed every Friday so now I know not to waste my time bringing the packages to the door on my handcart and having to reload it. Just scan info notice-put on door, go back to truck and do service cross and move on.

4) Pre filling out info notices with the date on them and pre checking the we will try again tomorrow Box (do this the night before)

5) When you feel you are super lost and can’t find packages in your truck= clock out for lunch, and ORGANIZE pal #’s.

6) If you have scheduled pickups say starting at 3pm try not to take your lunch til like 2:15ish, and be at your pickups EARLY. Be prepared expect the unexpected. Especially Monday’s.

Week 2 I was on my own.
Day 1: + 3.5 hr (with a sup)
Day 2: + 2.4 hr
Day 3: + 1.4 hr
Day 4: + 1.3 hr
Day 5: Scratch -.7 hr

Stop counts 85-115 average with up to 300 packages delivered excludes pickup. I’m told I will get more soon. Hang in there, figure out landmarks like Starbucks is 1 Main St and it’s on the right side of the road so when you see 121 main st you know it’ll be on Starbucks side somewhere.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Just wait til you pass and start going out cold twice a week. Better cultivate some apathy real quick. Some days are smooth and fun, MOST days are crappy and mentally taxing. Repeat after me; "it is what it is"
You get tougher and more skilled as each week passes, as long as you stay motivated.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Just wait til you pass and start going out cold twice a week. Better cultivate some apathy real quick. Some days are smooth and fun, MOST days are crappy and mentally taxing. Repeat after me; "it is what it is"
You get tougher and more skilled as each week passes, as long as you stay motivated.
Very much this. We call it going out blind. It sucks, but the more you do it the better you get at it.

Nine5

When you're trying to qualify. Anything goes to get it. Let me remind you, a job as a driver is probably 90% better than whatever else you could get with most of you qualifications. Since most of ya didn't go to college.
Your correct sir no college degree here.....BUT EVEN WITHOUT COLLEGE IM SMART ENOUGH TO NOT WORK FOR FREE!!

RolloTony Brown Town

Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.

You’ll be fine. Just keep work on fine tuning those methods. The better you get with organization of your truck and knowing your next 5 stops the packages look like they’re flying off the shelves. The overall allowed comes down as your methods improve. Don’t overthink it. One stop at a time.