Ugh -- Starting out as a driver is HARD!

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
B467E4D0-6966-43EE-805C-45A22110809C.jpeg
Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Arch

Getting out at 9pm is an accomplishment. There are people who don't even finish by 10pm and needs someone to bail them out.

WTFm8

Selection time is definitely off -- finding packages quickly in the back of that car is a trick!

Worst part of the trick is a majician making $11/hr tucked your 1800 letter in the 8100 section or the random 4000 shelf at RDR... and you didn’t get to see the act. Or the loose 7000 shelf that has partially dumped in the aisle during the day.

E3BB8A1B-1A55-444D-8FA6-F863FFBDD5BA.gif

Jackofnotrades

Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.[/QUOT
run the route over and over again on your personal time and car and see what it is that you can do differently. Maybe you have 4 or 5 residentials that are close to each other and instead of getting in your truck for each one just fast pace them after securing the truck. Start heading to your pickups 30 minutes prior. Run those residential stops and get a head about 15 stops ahead from where you are now. It gives you about a 35 min between. Start moving all your residential up towards the front of the trick so pick ups are not in the way. Get at least your next 10 to 20 stops ready and in perfect order so you can't knock it out right after pickups. Right there just knocked 1 1/2 hours off your time. When yoi get into panic mode thats when you start losing time and making small costly mistakes. Just breath bro

old levi's

blank space
Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.

Finishing up as a driver is also difficult, because then you're old. In my case, really old.

GenericUsername

The only time I ever call a pickup is on a Friday and to see if they'd like me to come early rather than right before 5 PM so they can get out.

Did this yesterday and the dude was ready at 3:30. He was closing shop when he saw me pull up so he could get his weekend started. He couldn't have been happier.

Sum Gai

The worst start I've seen for a driver at UPS is management giving him 200+ stops on the third day of his 30 days. While he started on a terrible week where we were shorthanded I'm not sure why they thought giving a new guy that much volume would work out even with the supervisor riding with him.

He quit the day after and went back to part time.

Dumbo

Not sure if mentioned already but if possible when there is a big enough gap in your pickup times try to get some resi stops off. You will learn that although your pickup window may be 1530, maybe they are open until 1700 and might not care that you come a little later. Or maybe you can hit some later pickups early so that you can have time to run some resi stops . As far as pickups the main thing is that you are there before the close time in the diad. So the more you can group them and knock them out together the more time you get.

If you follow Orion strictly, it will have you driving all over the place when it comes to pickups. It will have you go to a 1500 pickup, go do 2 stops, then go back and do a 1515 pickup in the same area. Don't fall for that crap. Get both of them done together.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
You need to ride the route on the weekend and try to get some more area knowledge. Go in early (off the clock until you qualify the stop that ish) an sort your own car. You need to have know where ish is regardless if Steve Wonder loaded it. It took me a 8 days during my 30 days going 45 mins to 1hr over to scratching it 13 str8 days. You cannot follow that DIAD stop for stop. You have to delveop area knowledge and learn the time it takes for you to deliver an area so you can pick what resi areas you need to hit in the daytime and which ones are easier at night. Talk to drivers who were train on the route for additional guidance.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The worst start I've seen for a driver at UPS is management giving him 200+ stops on the third day of his 30 days. While he started on a terrible week where we were shorthanded I'm not sure why they thought giving a new guy that much volume would work out even with the supervisor riding with him.

He quit the day after and went back to part time.
They don’t care about you or me man....that’s why they didn’t think about giving a new guy 200 stops which is totally ridiculous.... he should have grieved and not go back to the hub... these idiots are having trouble finding drivers in some areas but then they pull this :censored2: with new drivers.... just more dog and pony show tactics