ugh

Kis124

Sooo has peak started early? lol We were heavier than projected, and guess who got hell for it? Yup, the hourlies..."go Faster"...hurry up going to the bathroom....The WHOLE bay is responsible for the flow coming out of trailers. Like a SPA person can make the boxes come out faster...jeeze. Just a rant...now I'm over it...

undies

We don't get paid by how productive we are, at least not anymore. You get paid the same hourly rate whether you're a "hustler" or a "turtle.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If it's not a production job then what it is?
The only thing being produced by hourlies, are movement of package stats for management to oogle at and define their lives with. It's a shallow life but someone has to do it. (on both sides)

Other than that, hourlies do not produce anything, they simply move a box from A to B. A production job would be defined by someone who creates or assembles a product and the process can be identified.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Sooo has peak started early? lol We were heavier than projected, and guess who got hell for it? Yup, the hourlies..."go Faster"...hurry up going to the bathroom....The WHOLE bay is responsible for the flow coming out of trailers. Like a SPA person can make the boxes come out faster...jeeze. Just a rant...now I'm over it...

Part of the large volume was due to the hurricane that came threw the week before. That sort of weather will slow a lot of pieces moving to and from locations throughout the country.

Luckily I choose this week as my vaction. My full time soup told me on Tuesday people were going to get crazy start times for preload. Such as 3:30am for an example, when normal start times are 4:15 to 4:30.

Since school has started this week for most people, volume should start leveling out and down, hopefully. Dont take my word on it though. Its what I've seen and/or noticed for the past 5 years working here.

p228

The only thing being produced by hourlies, are movement of package stats for management to oogle at and define their lives with. It's a shallow life but someone has to do it. (on both sides)

Other than that, hourlies do not produce anything, they simply move a box from A to B. A production job would be defined by someone who creates or assembles a product and the process can be identified.

Time to brush up on your business lingo:

Production (economics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In economics, production is the act of creating output, a good or service which has value and contributes to the utility of individuals. The act may or may not include factors of production other than labor. Any effort directed toward the realization of a desired product or service is a "productive" effort and the performance of such act is production. The relation between the amount of inputs used in production and the resulting amount of output is called the production function."

That's why the term production is used to describe how efficiently an operation is running.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
How many times do I need to say it? Volume is down!! And always on Mondays...Just ask.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I enjoy the definition of "work" better then production. To be honest, this is mine and your place of work. This is what we do, handle packages. Whatever it might me, we deal in cardboard movement.

Production, a lot like work, can be skewed and stretched as many words can be. There is a difference between working hard and being over worked. As for production, can be an expectation at a place of work, definitely here at UPS. The definition of "work" here at UPS is more like that of the military. Which is " How much someone can do, how much work, effort, toil and labor in a given amount of time ".

My advice to many people here at UPS, is to never panic. Panic by far is the biggest stress, confusion and time wasting variable of all time. Be happy you have a job, and work at a reasonable pace never panic and your days will always be good to great.

Kis124

Oh..I don't mind the work...what I mind is the constant need for speed. It is very humid, and our poor un loaders are sweating out more than they can replenish. Then when they stop to get a drink, or stand under the blower for a minute, they get told to get back to work...I SPA, and I sweat my butt off just standing there..add that to the "yelling", it makes for short tempers on both sides.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Oh..I don't mind the work...what I mind is the constant need for speed. It is very humid, and our poor un loaders are sweating out more than they can replenish. Then when they stop to get a drink, or stand under the blower for a minute, they get told to get back to work...I SPA, and I sweat my butt off just standing there..add that to the "yelling", it makes for short tempers on both sides.

Its what I mean about production. It is also against "their" safety agreement to the union workers. If its too hot, as we all know, then water consumption is a must, so is proper breaking. If someone feels the need to drink or rest a second, then do so. When I was in JOROTC we were pretty much forced to drink water all the time. The military knows the benefits of this aspect. Why doesnt UPS?

The problem there is really supervision and management. If they want to yell and scream at people, then educate people that it is harassment and can be filed upon. Work in yours and others abilities, not theirs. Safety is the key word here. I am drinking to safely get my job done. I am resting for a few moments because of safety. Not to over heat, heat stroke and others in the name of safety.

I know as you do, the heat is a huge issue. Humidity, temperature and hot machinery play their parts while working here at UPS. Do as you feel is right in the name of safety and all things will be right. If you, and others, feel your safety is compromised because of supervision and the latter choice of actions and words, then theres always a steward you can ask for. Also, ask for papers from them. For some reason, having that multi-colored paper on hand makes soups treat one like royalty.

packageguy

\

Just remember safety comes first, They preach that all the time, you should do the same.

laffter

hourlies do not produce anything, they simply move a box from A to B.

I wish someone had told me that before. I was under the impression we were supposed to organize the boxes in some specific way. I've been wasting my time all along! Tomorrow I will bring a snow shovel - that will boost my pph.