Un:censored: This Load

Hoping you guys are willing to help a preloader trying to improve. When I was a kid there were these chess puzzles in the newspaper that you could look at and solve. I never figured out the solution to them or even understood the notation but I realized that when you are a new preloader and you get dumped on a truck that you aren't familiar with a forecast bulk sheet, as inaccurate as it can be, is a lot like those chess puzzles that you can try to solve in order to create a load that makes it easier for the driver. Of course, it would be best if the driver told you what they wanted or the sups knew their drivers well enough to know but the drivers are asleep at 1030pm and though some sups have knowledge to share, others don't seem to know all the loads on their belt that well. I thought it would be cool to throw up what people remember from their Forecasted Bulk Sheet or take a picture of the forecast sheet with any identifying info blacked out and have you guys share how you'd load it.
AIR-35
1k-25
2k-35
3k-15
4k-22
5k-5
6k-2
7k-25
8k-27
RDR-45
RDL-68
BULK
4715-18
1003-25
FDR, FDL, MFR, MFL are empty RDL has some big boxes as well as 4715 and 1003

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Push 1-4 forward, 5-8 to the rear, RDL & RDR can go up to MFL/R, air always out so he can sort. Crayon the bulk.

Or ask him what he wants. You're not a UPSer, you're a Teamster.

GenericUsername

Throw a tote or two into the cab for the air. Leave enough space on the 1k shelf for it (obviously). Sequential load for first 4 shelves. Put the 5k and 6k on the floor underneath the 1k/2k shelf. Load 7k/8k normal but pushed forward as much as possible. That 4715 bulk goes into your 5k/6k shelf. Load RDR and RDL in their normal spots going as far forward as possible. Put the RDL as far forward down the center of the car and load to ceiling. Put the RDR behind that. Use the remaining space in the shelves for RDL/RDR. This leaves the 1003 to be at your back door, which is more than likely air since it's HIN is so low. Seems pretty reasonable that the driver would be happy with it, otherwise, he can tell you how he wants it loaded next time.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Throw a tote or two into the cab for the air. Leave enough space on the 1k shelf for it (obviously). Sequential load for first 4 shelves. Put the 5k and 6k on the floor underneath the 1k/2k shelf. Load 7k/8k normal but pushed forward as much as possible. That 4715 bulk goes into your 5k/6k shelf. Load RDR and RDL in their normal spots going as far forward as possible. Put the RDL as far forward down the center of the car and load to ceiling. Put the RDR behind that. Use the remaining space in the shelves for RDL/RDR. This leaves the 1003 to be at your back door, which is more than likely air since it's HIN is so low. Seems pretty reasonable that the driver would be happy with it, otherwise, he can tell you how he wants it loaded next time.
Totes for air? HA! :censored2: WHOEVER WANTED 225 LBS OF FRUIT JUICE BEFORE 10:30 AM

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hoping you guys are willing to help a preloader trying to improve. When I was a kid there were these chess puzzles in the newspaper that you could look at and solve. I never figured out the solution to them or even understood the notation but I realized that when you are a new preloader and you get dumped on a truck that you aren't familiar with a forecast bulk sheet, as inaccurate as it can be, is a lot like those chess puzzles that you can try to solve in order to create a load that makes it easier for the driver. Of course, it would be best if the driver told you what they wanted or the sups knew their drivers well enough to know but the drivers are asleep at 1030pm and though some sups have knowledge to share, others don't seem to know all the loads on their belt that well. I thought it would be cool to throw up what people remember from their Forecasted Bulk Sheet or take a picture of the forecast sheet with any identifying info blacked out and have you guys share how you'd load it.
AIR-35
1k-25
2k-35
3k-15
4k-22
5k-5
6k-2
7k-25
8k-27
RDR-45
RDL-68
BULK
4715-18
1003-25
it depends on how big the stuff is you can put the 2k in the fdr spot the 4k in the fdl spot for that matter you can pretty much put any bulk in those spots, then use the shelf space for your rdrs or rdls

Laguna Preload

AIR-35
1k-25
2k-35
3k-15
4k-22
5k-5
6k-2
7k-25
8k-27
RDR-45
RDL-68
BULK
4715-18
1003-25
Man that’s an easy truck!
It’s always dif with every driver and sup I personally would stack all that air on back bumper if the boxes were good size if not I would throw it all in a tote or 1000 shelf. I had a truck a lot like that with a market store for the RDR I always just stacked it on the slide then bulked it out at the end. About once A year management would walk through saying we couldn't stack anything outside the cars, that would last till about the next week then our slide would be full of bulk stops and the rear of the trucks would be full of e regs and air again lol.
Maybe if you ever have a day off go in and talk to your drivers to see what they want. Really helps with tips around Christmas lol

KoennenTiger

Man that’s an easy truck!
It’s always dif with every driver and sup I personally would stack all that air on back bumper if the boxes were good size if not I would throw it all in a tote or 1000 shelf. I had a truck a lot like that with a market store for the RDR I always just stacked it on the slide then bulked it out at the end. About once A year management would walk through saying we couldn't stack anything outside the cars, that would last till about the next week then our slide would be full of bulk stops and the rear of the trucks would be full of e regs and air again lol.
Maybe if you ever have a day off go in and talk to your drivers to see what they want. Really helps with tips around Christmas lol

Ah yes. The methods. Stack everything inside the car including all the bulk from the bulk stops as it comes. Bulk in the car halfway through the preload and then the preloader just starts throwing everything into the car not loaded at all. UPS corporate has their heads jammed so far up their behinds. Thankfully after the corporate morons leave everyone just goes back to doing what works.

Jstpeachy

Bulk stops on the floor under the side of the truck it’s hin is on, with the low count on 5k & 6k shouldn’t have much issue fitting it all (aside from large pcs) on those shelves.

We leave all air outside the truck (I leave space on 1k shelf for envelopes and smalls, and FDR a little space for bigger air provided it’s not blown out with irregs of large pcs already).

Sups won’t give anything more than the basics imo, and have a tendency to rush you into just “get it on the truck”

seek out your drivers for advice. They have been the most informative out of anyone. Plus if you ask them for tips they don’t get as pissed off if the load sucks when you first start.

Anything over 70lbs my drivers want put on last at/towards the back of the truck if at all possible. One truck I load has me put RDR in MFR so a heavy bulk stop can be last by the rear door instead.

Once they leave you consistently on the same load set/trucks you will develop a system and know what works best based on the typical volume/stop type/bulk stops and driver.

Also it helps to write the hin on each pkg on the side facing the walkway or peel and restock the hin sticker- helps you stay organized and helps driver if you can’t get it 100% numerical order.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
the problem with loaders is that turnover is so high that you get different loaders all the time. a consistent loader figures it out in time

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
You be surprised. I had a kitchen sink next day air once.

One of my trucks has had a water heater next day air, before. Was like 120 lbs. Can't even fathom how much that cost them.

Coulda rented a truck and gotten one from Home Depot, but noooo. ;)

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I've have literally zero time to even aknowledge all the new preloaders we have been getting this month.
It's not going to be perfect (or even good) at times but I suggest you treat the boxes like books on a bookshelf and get the 4-didget fudge numbers on there really clear and visible from the car because these two things will help towards staying organized for the first few months while it still feels all weird.
Do this for bags (between and on top of)i and irregs (floor) too. I've seen a lot of new people dumping them randomly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ah yes. The methods. Stack everything inside the car including all the bulk from the bulk stops as it comes. Bulk in the car halfway through the preload and then the preloader just starts throwing everything into the car not loaded at all. UPS corporate has their heads jammed so far up their behinds. Thankfully after the corporate morons leave everyone just goes back to doing what works.
"everything in, no exceptions!!"

But errrrr, ahhh, that full size sofa will be in the way...you want me to just..

"Just get 'er in!!"

Oookkeee

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
AIR-35
1k-25
2k-35
3k-15
4k-22
5k-5
6k-2
7k-25
8k-27
RDR-45
RDL-68
BULK
4715-18
1003-25
So to answer this more direct. If you look at your load sheets: Combine 1K with 5K, 2K with 6K etc, then subtract pieces you don't expect will go on this shelf. You have 5 pieces for the top right shelf-side (subtracting air) which should give you a big clue that the top right shelf can be used to store your RDR, 4715 or RDL bulk (depending on what will fill this space most effectively)

Air will likely fill your "middle floor middle", The ":censored2: it floor" or whatever.

Then comes the part where you start getting a 20 piece add for shelf 5 right at the end of the day.

Then comes the general tip that if you are loading bulk on a shelf, experiment with the pieces a few times and you will be suprised how tight you can pack them in a certain pattern.

Last edited:

RC_RDL

There is no secret, only experience. If you aren’t trying, the driver will know. If you are, he’ll give you advice. The stuff you learn driver helping during peak is gold. It makes you more comfortable manipulating the way you think the sheet says it should be.