Understaffed, now go home.

Daf

Our preload supervisors complain that we are chronically understaffed, as is evident by the revolving door of employees.

However, at least 3 times a week they ask senior employees if they want to stay or go home. I'm assuming it's because we have too many workers, which contradicts our under-staffing woes. Several almost always say "go home", but some stay.

Those that leave cause an even greater shortage of workers during the shift.

Out of curiosity, does this sort of thing happen at your center(s)? What's the concept behind it? Squeeze as much as possible out of the skeleton crew while continuing to save $ by cutting labor costs? I guess that $11/hr. adds up.
The upper management is telling your bosses to do the job with less people so that you guys rush, and they hope that the situation gets desperate enough that you guys let the supervisors work. Stay strong and don't go any faster than normal. And file if the sups work.

watdaflock?

However, at least 3 times a week they ask senior employees if they want to stay or go home. I'm assuming it's because we have too many workers, which contradicts our under-staffing woes. Several almost always say "go home", but some stay.
Maybe trying to get the new hires some hours?

watdaflock?

Out of curiosity, does this sort of thing happen at your center(s)? What's the concept behind it? Squeeze as much as possible out of the skeleton crew while continuing to save $ by cutting labor costs? I guess that $11/hr. adds up.

What is so hard to understand? You think UPS wants to over-staff and have even more people standing around, doing practically nothing?

Duckwithapipboy

What is so hard to understand? You think UPS wants to over-staff and have even more people standing around, doing practically nothing?
Biggest problem is the load lines when they staff it for someone to do two jobs, then order that belt sup to send off people to help another belt while the flow continues to increase. Not to mention giving the ROs to strong loaders, which inevitably creates a situation where my FT was "demonstrating" to help reduce the backlog since that loaders couldn't keep up.

Duckwithapipboy

Eh, I kept working. Another union employee allowed it who doesn't give a :censored2: so the "demonstration" was for them. I mostly take solace in the fact that this new FT used to be on the load lines like us and not some HR flunkie that would come onto the primary line shouting "10-tiers guys! Load faster!"

But it seems kinda trivial now. We just had an older guy on the load lines have a heart attack or a seizure and die in his trailer.

working up a sweat

We used to have layoffs just about every Monday because of low volume. Volume was starting to pick up at the time.

The contract required 24 hours notice if you are laid off.

So on Sunday night we were working the verti lift rolling the cans into the feeders. One guy asked the night shift manager if there was going to be any lay offs for Monday.

The boss replied in the classic Jim Mora playoffs rant impersonation. He had to see that Coors commercial.

"Layoffs! Don't talk about layoffs! You kidding me! Layoffs! Volume is picking up! You show up tommorrow night at midnight!"

Most of us were in stitches laughing our tails off. It was classic.