Union Dues

JL 0513

I've never claimed dues. Does it yield much back? My return is never increased even after I put in mortgage interest deduction, charitable dedications, etc..

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I've never claimed dues. Does it yield much back? My return is never increased even after I put in mortgage interest deduction, charitable dedications, etc..
I put them in as well but my tax never changes. I think it has to be a % of your income including other things to amount to a hill of beans. I only deduct mortage interest, dependents, realized investment losses when applicable, advelorm, charitable giving and property taxes.

sox

Misc expenses if you can get it up to 2% of agi you can deduct it . New boots? Uniform cleaning? Do they have your phone#? Do your customers? You can deduct part of it! Dues is a good one can all be work related expenses many more Mrs. Sox is an accountant

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
It takes a ton of work place expenses before they actually have any impact. I added mine every year religiously, but never reached the percentage ratio to income that got me any credit. Same with health care, since for must of us the premiums were no cost. Things have continued to change though, so it may be an actual deduction for some. Being retired I'm paying for mine for the first time in almost 3 decades, so at least I will be able to deduct them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Misc expenses if you can get it up to 2% of agi you can deduct it . New boots? Uniform cleaning? Do they have your phone#? Do your customers? You can deduct part of it! Dues is a good one can all be work related expenses many more Mrs. Sox is an accountant
I buy a few pairs of New Balance shoes when they go on sale, $45ish per pair. I don't dry clean anything, just throw my uniform in the wash with everything else. In terms of the phone bill, I don't call customers or management on it, besides, it's $100 a month for 4 lines with unlimited TT&D.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I buy a few pairs of New Balance shoes when they go on sale, $45ish per pair. I don't dry clean anything, just throw my uniform in the wash with everything else. In terms of the phone bill, I don't call customers or management on it, besides, it's $100 a month for 4 lines with unlimited TT&D.
I know a guy that writes off razors, shave cream, after shave, and hair cuts!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know a guy that writes off razors, shave cream, after shave, and hair cuts!

I never put myself in a situation where my integrity can be questioned, especially by the IRS.

Honestly not a bid idea. Shaving is a required part of the job. I would never be clean shaven if I didn't drive for ups.

Writing off personal grooming expenses may be a bit over the top and, as Jackburton said, probably not worth it.

I write off union dues, uniform maintenance ($10/week), boots, sneakers and a portion of my cell phone bill.