Union Leadership

L

lr1937

Thanks to bibbucks at MF board for the history.

Excerpt from MF board.

The Teamsters were founded and chartered in 1903.They have had 9 Presidents.
1.Dan Tobin 1907-1952.Investigated numerous times for "strong arm' tactics in organization attempts but never charged or convicted of a crime.
2.Dave Beck 1952-1957. Charged and convicted of larceny and income tax violations.Jailed in 1958.
3.In 1958, the teamsters were thrown out of the AFL-CIO.
4.James Hoffa 1957-1971. Charged and convicted of juty tampering and fraud.Jailed for 13 years.
5.Fitzsimmons 1971-1981. Under his leadership was forced to give up control of the Central State Pension Fund to the Goverment due to allegations of Mafia control of the fund.Rumors that he was involved in the disappearence of Jimmy Hoffa.
6. Roy Williams 1981-1982. Convicted of bribing a U.S. Senator.
7. Jackie Presser 1982-1989. Indicted in 1985 for embezzling union funds and giving crime figures "no show"jobs. A known government informa.
8. William Mc Carthy 1989-1991. Settled a federal racketeering suit that accused teamster union officals of allowing know criminal figures to control and exploit the union.
9. Ron Carey 1991-1997 The "reform candidate".Indicted for illegal campaign fund raising.
10. James Hoffa Jr. 1997-
Note: During most of the 1990's, the union was under the control and supervision of the U.S. goverment due to it's past history of association with criminal elements.
It is ashame that a company of high integrity,honest hard working people both hourly and management,recoginized as one of the most admired in the world,a leader in it's industry,is held captive by a union who's past leaders have walked on the dark side of the street.
My comments:
How can you pay dues(increased recently under questionable vote and circumstances) and let them handle your future pension fund and health benefits without suspicion and accountablility. How can you not get involved and change the way things are done at your union.
You will see a good example of how things are done at your union based on the bully and name calling answers the posters on this board will submit to this and other posts that call attention to the :censored2: poor leadership you have paid and continue to pay dearly for. "whatever it takes"

W

wkmac

Ir1937,
Damn You! I wasn't going to talk about this :censored2: and enjoy my Sunday and the race but this one must be answered IMO. The reason the union is messed up is because good people aren't invovled. They don't go to the union halls for strike votes, contract meeting etc. In many respects, the radicals have a large sway with this union because they are the active parties and the local union officials see those folks as being the backbone (activist)of the union. First off, Jim Casey is the one who invited in the union in the first place, so get mad at him and secondly, UPS not the union handed me an application form when I was going through my processing before being hired and "THEY" not the union give me a long and rather convincing speech about the importance of being in the union and having a voice in the contract. So are you saying everything UPS told me about being in the union was a lie? To this day I still take that very serious. Appears from your post above that the union was just a crooked then as you imply it is now. I'm not a Carey fan "AT ALL" but he was found innocent of all charges so maybe he'll go down as the first union leader who never went to jail! Talk about ironic! HELL NO I do not like what I see at all but the IBT by federal labor law has authority to conduct union business at UPS on behalf of it's employees so we're stuck with that like it or not. IMO, dropping out is just giving the keys over to the radicals. And the more radical they will get because they have nothing to lose. Now if you're into Hegelian Dialectics then this may be exactly what you're after and I can't help but wonder if some at UPS might be playing this dangerous game. There are level headed members out there and there were some at the conference call yesterday at our local. Several stood up and made some very good and very honest comments and there was no shouting down and the local leadership gave them complete respect and allowed them to speak openly and freely. IMO speaks highly of our local leadership and it also showed the level headedness of those present including many union stewards. If you want, we can bailout but Federal law allows the union to stay and we must all abide by those areas that law protects until the union is removed by provisions provided by law. Our bailing out further empowers and solidifies the radicals control of the union IMO and will only further damage the workplace especially those who only want to come to work and do their job. If you want to remove the union, then what in return do you offer? Opps! Can't do that because that violates federal law also. If UPS union members vote to de-certify they do so under total blind faith that the company will provide benefits and pay that are equal to or better than what we currently have. In order for us to believe this, a relationship of trust and faith must be established and although there are fine examples of this on the local workplace level, at the same time there is a huge distrust of those above the local workplace. Even local management itself distrusts the powers that be above. Yes, we do hear and remember your comments when you slip up and speak when you shouldn't! I consider UPS a great company but I'm also very realistic as well. The current situation with the contract is probably more about huge egos and big shotism on both sides than about getting a good contract that works for everyone and I truly believe that. If they really wanted us to have a good contract, those clowns should hit the bars and golf courses, allow us workers and supervisors in there and I'll bet the bunch of us could work out a deal that not only benefits all but sets the stage for UPS' greatest era of all and I believe that too! Be careful what you ask for because you might get it and the final results might not be what you wanted in the first place.

mac

Now excuse me while I depart, go enjoy the race along with some adult beverages and forget about the stupidity that surrounds me!

M

michael

lr1937

Some very valid points. Playing the devils advocate though where else are the UPS teamsters going to go? To the company? Although it would probably benefit them, they are just as uncertain about the company as they are of the union. They have a lot at risk and are going to be doubtful of the company as well. In a strange sort of way I feel for the good UPS teamsters. They seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Michael

L

lr1937

Damn You! I wasn't going to talk about this :censored2: and enjoy my Sunday and the race but this one must be answered IMO. The reason the union is messed up is because good people aren't invovled. They don't go to the union halls for strike votes, contract meeting etc. In many respects, the radicals have a large sway with this union because they are the active parties and the local union officials see those folks as being the backbone (activist)of the union.

My point was for the good people at ups to get involved with what is happening with their union leadership. To many good people stand back and let the negative employees influence the union leadership. If the majority of the membership was involved the leadrship would improve because of their involvement.
I hope you enjoy the race.