Union Meeting Participation

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Another guy and myself had an idea to bring a member to each meeting beginning in January. Explain to that member that it was his job to bring someone else to the next one, and that the person they brought would do the same, yada, yada, yada. We had 8 members at our last meeting. It’s a disgrace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another guy and myself had an idea to bring a member to each meeting beginning in January. Explain to that member that it was his job to bring someone else to the next one, and that the person they brought would do the same, yada, yada, yada. We had 8 members at our last meeting. It’s a disgrace.

I have heard of locals that will give a credit ($50-100) toward a new member's initiation fee if he/she attends at least one union meeting.

We had our most recent meeting this past Thursday evening at 7:30 pm. We usually have them every 3rd month (our local rotates them through 3 locations) at 11 am on a Saturday. The thought behind the time change was to try to increase member participation-----weekends are busy and an evening meeting would allow other non-UPS members to attend after getting off work.

The meeting was supposed to start at 7:30 but did not as we did not yet have a quorum (15 members). It wasn't until one of our business agents called a member at his house to ask him to come to the meeting that we were finally able to start upon his arrival, which was just after 8.

During the wait, we talked about why participation in the union was at an all time low. Varied opinions were offered but the consensus was that the younger members do not get involved as they feel that the union has nothing to offer them. We discussed the reluctance on the union's part to use social media to keep the younger members involved.

We also argued whether Sean O'Brien was fired or simply reassigned.

Once the meeting began, the trustees rushed through their various reports and there was little to nothing of actual substance accomplished before the meeting was quickly adjourned.

Truth be told, it was a waste of time for all involved and an indicator of why participation is at an all time low.
Week day 7:30 pm. How is that a good time for a meeting if everyone one in package is out from 8 to 10:30 at night.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Another guy and myself had an idea to bring a member to each meeting beginning in January. Explain to that member that it was his job to bring someone else to the next one, and that the person they brought would do the same, yada, yada, yada.

That's always a good idea.

Week day 7:30 pm. How is that a good time for a meeting if everyone one in package is out from 8 to 10:30 at night.

Members have to want to come. It takes personal sacrifice, and doesn't matter

what day or time it is. My Local has tried it all. We've settled in on Sunday mornings.

Even devout religious obligations, can be set aside.... 1 day a month.

-Bug-

what day or time it is. My Local has tried it all. We've settled in on Sunday mornings.

-Bug-
Still should be a better time.

Gimme Danger

251 does Sunday at 10am. It seems to work the most, but members need to a good reason to want to go. It wasn't the case 4+ years ago, but the right effort and message by leadership has worked. Maybe even @wide load would agree.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
251 does Sunday at 10am. It seems to work the most, but members need to a good reason to want to go. It wasn't the case 4+ years ago, but the right effort and message by leadership has worked. Maybe even @wide load would agree.
I see similar numbers in attendance but different faces. Sunday is a good day. I can’t believe some locals would do a weekday at 7:30. That means zero UPS drivers can make it. Lol

oldngray

nowhere special

-Bug-

My local also had meeting on Sunday mornings. It seemed to be the best time when few if any people would be working. On weekdays there are people working pretty much around the clock. Don't complain there aren't any part timers at meetings if they are busy working Twilight for example.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our meetings are Sunday mornings, as to not interfere with the most important thing in most everyone's life, NFL football. For that reason alone I'll never attend another meeting. Nevermind the fact that working nights, I'd have to wake up for a meeting when I'm supposed to be sleeping and drive two hours each way. Not happening.

Sunday afternoons would work best, but of course NFL football is king to most of the sports dummies lives. Also, our hub has a day sort Sundays, so that wouldn't help UPS Teamsters in that regard. Sun AM meetings have nothing to do with revolving around family life or anything, though.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Most of our drivers (at least in the 2 of 4 centers I see every day), are in the building between 7 and 8. There are some past 8-9 but only a handful. Regardless, it's a good 45 minute to 1 hour drive to the union hall from our hub, so that 7:30pm weeknight meeting would be a waste.

Most of our drivers (at least in the 2 of 4 centers I see every day), are in the building between 7 and 8. There are some past 8-9 but only a handful. Regardless, it's a good 45 minute to 1 hour drive to the union hall from our hub, so that 7:30pm weeknight meeting would be a waste.
Not in 177. Guys in some bldgs are punching out around 9 to 1030 at night. It's nice to see you guys are not getting killed. 177 is going crazy over this and the company just keeps paying out the 9.5s instead of putting in routes.

tourists24

I do hope that you are funding your 401K.

Mine just passed the $200K mark. I plan on increasing my contribution to 20% on the 1st of the year to take advantage of my last 6 months on the payroll.
Just out of curiosity how much extra do you hope to make with that extra kick to 20%?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Seems some here don’t realize that the new ups keeps drivers away from their life from 7 till 8 ....5 days a week. Let’s push our quality of life down and spend even less time with our family we never see to support a corrupt union that myself and the majority of America voted out. I guess Canadian teamsters have a huge turnout