Union Meeting Participation

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
word to you non-management folks

meetings are only useful for several things:
1. getting ready for something big - so for example if there was something serious going on or about to (a strike), that would be worth running meetings over
2. socializing - the benefits here should be obvious, it's easier to join the union if you get some free food out of it and it's easier to talk to a steward if you're socialized to them

having a monthly meeting just to bitch and whine about normal management harassment is a gigantic waste of time

1. getting ready for something big - so for example if there was something serious going on or about to (a strike), that would be worth running meetings over
2. socializing - the benefits here should be obvious, it's easier to join the union if you get some free food out of it and it's easier to talk to a steward if you're socialized to them

having a monthly meeting just to bitch and whine about normal management harassment is a gigantic waste of time
You are incorrect.

The benefits of having a monthly meeting is to keep the members informed and unified

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
You are incorrect.

The benefits of having a monthly meeting is to keep the members informed and unified
that's why nobody :censored2:ing shows up to them right, because of how unified and informed they are?

giphy.gif

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I don't know about out of NY. But, here we have a vote called the constitutional convention on Nov 7th. It has the same if no vote counts as a yes vote. This will end any union in NY alone. Why hasn't the Teamster's mentioned this? Do they want it to fail? Hope NY'ers out there votes NO. It is on the back of the ballet. Another sneaky move by the state government and Unions

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know about out of NY. But, here we have a vote called the constitutional convention on Nov 7th. It has the same if no vote counts as a yes vote. This will end any union in NY alone. Why hasn't the Teamster's mentioned this? Do they want it to fail? Hope NY'ers out there votes NO. It is on the back of the ballet. Another sneaky move by the state government and Unions

Our BA talked for about 5 minutes on this and urged everyone in attendance to vote no.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
. I had a 1025 start time and with the rain i got back to the building at 830. Tuesdays eliminate most of the feeder department.
See you Sunday, November 12 at 10am then. You feeder guys can fill the place up. Lots of food to be served for the Packers/Bears game.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I always have to laugh....

When a low level management person comments on internal Union issues.

I hate to burst your bubble;

But, Local monthly meetings are required by the IBT constitution.

Get over the fact.... it's not all about UPS.

-Bug-

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Lol!!! The IE guy that does nothing but look at words and numbers on paper that mean nothing to us is telling us our constitution is just words on paper!! Yep, that's intelligent.
yes, that is what happened congrats you can read, maybe next time you'll actually come up with something better than an observation with LOL thrown into it

Similar to pcms and safety rides when the supervisors drive after a whole day of them reading words off of a page.
sweety you're not breaking my heart with that quip just fyi, i couldn't care less what your sup does to fill their day

22.34life

U wanna talk to ur b.a,come to the meeting,u wanna find out the status of ur grievance,come to the meeting,wanna bitch about the local,come to the meeting.

BigBrown1234

Teamsters are currently only around 1.2 million nationwide. National Right To Work will be the nail in the coffin for the Teamsters.

Original Teamster Leadership shed blood in order to improve working conditions.

Current Union officers have failed to evolve with organizing and unionizing the new power holders of this type of blue collar work. Teamsters are fading away with the original decade old companies they started with.

Union leadership out of fear of losing an election has decided to keep the union membership ignorant to the mission of the Teamsters. 99% of my fellow Teamsters I work with don’t have the slightest clue who our officers are.

Union membership at my local refuse to attend meetings because union leadership refuse to recognize any ideas the members have, and even bully them into just being quiet.

Not including the entire membership in decisions and educating them on what all the positions do will insure that no one is able to hold them to any type of accountability or standards.

I don’t know any member that actually knows what the Unions officers job descriptions are. No one has a copy of the by-laws. And if you request the by-laws, Union officers try to harass you. Not to mention Union leadership only follow the bylaws if it’s convenient for them. Union leadership interpret the by-laws to their discretion. (Complaining to the JC or International is a waste of time because they comprise of the same individuals.)

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver

General membership meetings are supposed to notify the members of the business of the Local Union, not a bitch session about a specific Company. That has to be done on the side before or after the meeting. The meeting should go over negotiations in process and finished, update local and national politics and policies, organizing drives, financial state of the Local, awards and court dealing of the Local, major purchases by the Local, etc. Most Locals do doughnuts or subs to encourage participation.

BigBrown1234

GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

That’s not what the by-laws state.

If that was the case they wouldn’t call it a “GENERAL MEMBERSHIP” meeting. They would not include all the members and require a quorum.

This is the time when we ask questions and delegate our expectations to the Union Leadership.

Under “New Business” you have the right to question and make new motions. (This is clearly explained under Roberts Rules of Order )