Union Meeting Participation

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had our most recent meeting this past Thursday evening at 7:30 pm. We usually have them every 3rd month (our local rotates them through 3 locations) at 11 am on a Saturday. The thought behind the time change was to try to increase member participation-----weekends are busy and an evening meeting would allow other non-UPS members to attend after getting off work.

The meeting was supposed to start at 7:30 but did not as we did not yet have a quorum (15 members). It wasn't until one of our business agents called a member at his house to ask him to come to the meeting that we were finally able to start upon his arrival, which was just after 8.

During the wait, we talked about why participation in the union was at an all time low. Varied opinions were offered but the consensus was that the younger members do not get involved as they feel that the union has nothing to offer them. We discussed the reluctance on the union's part to use social media to keep the younger members involved.

We also argued whether Sean O'Brien was fired or simply reassigned.

Once the meeting began, the trustees rushed through their various reports and there was little to nothing of actual substance accomplished before the meeting was quickly adjourned.

Truth be told, it was a waste of time for all involved and an indicator of why participation is at an all time low.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There were 22 attending my locals meeting last Tuesday. Sad.

More pizza for me though!

We actually joked about having to serve food in order for people to show up.

We did talk briefly about PVD's and when I asked if we should start saving money in case of a possible work stoppage I was told that that was a decision to be made at the national level.

A

Article 3

We had our most recent meeting this past Thursday evening at 7:30 pm. We usually have them every 3rd month (our local rotates them through 3 locations) at 11 am on a Saturday. The thought behind the time change was to try to increase member participation-----weekends are busy and an evening meeting would allow other non-UPS members to attend after getting off work.

The meeting was supposed to start at 7:30 but did not as we did not yet have a quorum (15 members). It wasn't until one of our business agents called a member at his house to ask him to come to the meeting that we were finally able to start upon his arrival, which was just after 8.

During the wait, we talked about why participation in the union was at an all time low. Varied opinions were offered but the consensus was that the younger members do not get involved as they feel that the union has nothing to offer them. We discussed the reluctance on the union's part to use social media to keep the younger members involved.

We also argued whether Sean O'Brien was fired or simply reassigned.

Once the meeting began, the trustees rushed through their various reports and there was little to nothing of actual substance accomplished before the meeting was quickly adjourned.

Truth be told, it was a waste of time for all involved and an indicator of why participation is at an all time low.
Maybe if a BA would voluntarily show up at our buildings once a month (or a year+) to meet members the members would show up at the hall once a month.

There's other issues in other locals that keep union loyalty suppressed. It's not all the same for everyone.

For example:
We haven't had steward's training for twenty years although stewards repeatedly ask for it.
The sec/treas' remark (recently) was "well we're planning training after the football season is over (spring?) or by the end of the year".

Really? So realistically, they don't give a flying flip about training stewards because the losers don't have any skin in the game. They could care less.

And when the stewards are down on the local the membership will be too.

Got a good local that cares about members and stewards? Be thankful because it's not the case across the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We have annual steward seminars in my local. I attended them for about 10 straight years as there was always something new to learn.
Had to give up being a union steward when I became a satellite driver.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We actually joked about having to serve food in order for people to show up.

We did talk briefly about PVD's and when I asked if we should start saving money in case of a possible work stoppage I was told that that was a decision to be made at the national level.

Work stoppage for what? The union is a joke. They lost all credibility with the last 2 contracts of give a ways. The pension is half of what was promised. Only thing left is the health insurance. It will be the next target for UPS to decrease money to the Union. They are 76% of all payments. That isn't fair. Hoffa has all but ended it. Full circle. Hoffa started it

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My 4,600+ member local holds their monthly meeting on the first Thursday of the month that at 7pm, nine months out the year, going dark May thru August.

We too struggle to have a quorum, achieving it only because we count the 12 officers and agents on the podium.

Very little of substance is ever disseminated at these meetings, with ongoing joke being the BA reports usually being a one word presentation, "progress".

It has always been my contention that a degree of "fellowship" needs to be injected into these meeting in order to increase attendance.

I grew up in a union household and remember vividly the brotherhood my father shared with his coworkers.
They had picnics, bowling/softball/golf leagues, went fishing together, and congregated at each other's house regularly play cards, horseshoes, etc.
When one person had a problem, or needed help, they rallied around one another.
That rarely seems to be the case with the vast majority of our members these days.

When we get back to these roots, maybe one day we can again to start act collectively for the betterment of us all.

So Dave, rather than declaring your last meeting a waste of time, maybe it could be viewed as a starting point instead?

3 done 3 to go

A projection is not a promise.

Our retirees lost on average about $1K/month.
We got a rumor floating around not just the retirees will lose the 30%. Everyone across the board will. So, there may be drivers for 40 plus yrs. Or, till their bodies finally say it can't do it anymore.

A

Article 3

We have annual steward seminars in my local. I attended them for about 10 straight years as there was always something new to learn.
Had to give up being a union steward when I became a satellite driver.
Annual. Nice.
It's been 20 yes here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We got a rumor floating around not just the retirees will lose the 30%. Everyone across the board will. So, there may be drivers for 40 plus yrs. Or, till their bodies finally say it can't do it anymore.

Nope.

18 and 29% respectively.

That will not change unless we have to revisit this.

I did ask our BA at the meeting how long it would be before we would see any improvements and he said that the cuts were based on a 30 year projection. We are currently at 44% funded. This would remain steady for a few years before dipping ever so slightly as more baby boomers retire. It will then slowly improve as we shed the orphans and old timers.

He said that if were not for the provisions for those over 75 and 80 that the cuts would have not have been nearly as deep as they make up nearly 1/3 of our current retirees.

3 done 3 to go

Nope.

18 and 29% respectively.

That will not change unless we have to revisit this.

I did ask our BA at the meeting how long it would be before we would see any improvements and he said that the cuts were based on a 30 year projection. We are currently at 44% funded. This would remain steady for a few years before dipping ever so slightly as more baby boomers retire. It will then slowly improve as we shed the orphans and old timers.

He said that if were not for the provisions for those over 75 and 80 that the cuts would have not have been nearly as deep as they make up nearly 1/3 of our current retirees.

I have lost all faith. On what they say. Our local has totally lied on every issue we have. I'm not holding my breath.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have lost all faith. On what they say. Our local has totally lied on every issue we have. I'm not holding my breath.

I do hope that you are funding your 401K.

Mine just passed the $200K mark. I plan on increasing my contribution to 20% on the 1st of the year to take advantage of my last 6 months on the payroll.

3 done 3 to go

I do hope that you are funding your 401K.

Mine just passed the $200K mark. I plan on increasing my contribution to 20% on the 1st of the year to take advantage of my last 6 months on the payroll.

I just turned 50. Got 5 yrs w 34 yrs at that point. But, with these cuts. I maybe a lifer. I will just take the full time air route. Next bid or so. Just 8 an hr lower pay.

Gimme Danger

Our local regularly has 200+ members attend on typically the last Sunday of the month. Meetings are about 2 hours with all the reports, always very informative. BA reports, organizing, political action, strikes, charity events, guest speakers etc.
The local has a big social media presence and sends out blast text messages to members who sign up.

The local used to be a joke with little substance and little participation.