Union Politics - UPS Pilots Union has called for a strike vote!

rod

Retired 22 years
I know that the chance of a strike is pretty low.. but what happens if there is one? I have heard the term, "strike pay" (somewhere) .. is that applicable to this situation? For who?

Wasn't even enough to begin to cover beer expenses for the 2 weeks

Packmule

I was excited to hear that at least there are still unions with testicles. The UPS pilots union has been in negotiations for 4 years and finally have grown fed up with corporate greed.

Unlike hall and Junior who took the first offer from greedy UPS, this union is threatening to strike in order to get what their members rightfully have earned.

I wonder what awful and hall and are saying on the other end? Yeah the pilots union are making them look gutless and stupid.

In case they do strike, I wonder if these two cowards will honor their strike just like they honored ours in 1997?

We all know that the two are in bed with UPS!

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2015/09/09/ups-pilots-union-calls-for-strike-vote.html
If we walk out for a day, we can kiss the bottom twenty percent of our employees good bye.

10 point

I'm not sure UPS is going to want to give on this issue given they are in the midst of lawsuits from the IPA and the husband of the 1st officer from flight 1354 that crashed in Birmingham, both plaintiffs citing fatigue as the cause of the accident.
Yeah, safety first...remember?

(Unless it costs you $$$.)

Then defer, delay, litigate.

Strike Strike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How many of you have actually talked to pilots. After the strike in '97 I drove to the airport to pick up packages in the morning. While I had that shift I came into contact with quite a few pilots and, believe me they think of drivers as second class citizens. They don't get it that if we didn't pick up the air pkgs, they wouldn't have a job. They act like premadonnas and you wouldn't believe how much they get paid. Considering what they think of drivers, you'd be a fool to honor their picket line. As for them honoring ours, they were basically forced to do so.

542thruNthru

How many of you have actually talked to pilots. After the strike in '97 I drove to the airport to pick up packages in the morning. While I had that shift I came into contact with quite a few pilots and, believe me they think of drivers as second class citizens. They don't get it that if we didn't pick up the air pkgs, they wouldn't have a job. They act like premadonnas and you wouldn't believe how much they get paid. Considering what they think of drivers, you'd be a fool to honor their picket line. As for them honoring ours, they were basically forced to do so.

A ton of PT workers would say the same thing about Drivers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The same way some feeder drivers think of package drivers as second class citizens and the same way some package drivers think of PTers as second class citizens.

Their seems to be an unwritten pecking order at UPS.

Pilots > Feeder Drivers > Package Drivers > PTers

I have taken many a naps in the pilots lounge in Louky and was never asked to leave.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sun Country Airline pilots (here in Mn.) just settled their long drawn out contract. I think negotiation have been going on for 5 years also. Their beginning pilots will now start at $48 an hour compared to $30. Also a senior pilot will be getting $208 an hour by the end of the 5 year contract.

Gear

Parts on Order
The same way some feeder drivers think of package drivers as second class citizens and the same way some package drivers think of PTers as second class citizens.

Their seems to be an unwritten pecking order at UPS.

Pilots > Feeder Drivers > Package Drivers > PTers

I have taken many a naps in the pilots lounge in Louky and was never asked to leave.

What about the mechanics? See, mechanics are even thought of when considering the pecking order.

"What about me Bub?" I hear alot of I's and me's, during my working hours. Everyone thinks their the best. "Im the best around, nothing is ever going to take me down." I like to think all UPS employees sing that in their heads while on the clock.

Gear

Parts on Order

To be fair, a pilot has a license to fly a plane. A package car driver has same license as a 16 year old girl. Ya, I just said that.

Gear

Parts on Order
Its a class C license. No need to add, Non CDL. She couldnt drive past 12am, I guess that would be the difference. Package car drivers arent required to have a special license, lets not pretend they do.