Union problem with Moving positions in building

NYJetsfan87

My union is in a bit of disarray right now. The shop steward with the most knowledge just stepped down and is actually out of work for the next month. On top of that the rest of my union is putting all their resources and time into saving a problematic employees job. While doing so they are ignoring pretty much every other problem we are having. I am an article 22.3 employee that works the twilight and night shifts. I have over 25 years of seniority. I am trying to get upstairs to the smalls sort area on the night shift. I’ll try and keep a real long and messed up story as short as possible. In the overnight smalls sort there are more management people working upstairs then union members. They literally have part time supervisors wearing street clothes that are supposed to be supervising throughout the building in the primary , outbounds , and sort aisle working non stop. And it’s not a secret it’s well known throughout the building. The full time supervisor is hardly ever at work and when he is he’s sleeping or hiding somewhere. He can never be found in the area. Rumor is he has so many management people working because he wants good numbers or something so he can become a manager. Not to mention he’s a compulsive liar that doesn’t know how to do anything. Some people in management even question if he even knows how to read. So before anyone says call corporate , call HR , call the union on him I can say all of that’s been done already many times by numerous people. This Fulltimer has corporate complaints against him from management, the union and even other departments. He’s been sat down by HR and security for countless payroll problems , violence in the work place , sexual harassment and pretty much every other infraction you can think of . So ..

Simple problem I just need a simple solution.

How can I get upstairs to smalls sort where I am entitled to be ? If the union is currently useless and the full timer can’t tell the truth and is never around ? Need some advice. Maybe I’ll send my hard earned union dues here instead of my local union.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
My union is in a bit of disarray right now. The shop steward with the most knowledge just stepped down and is actually out of work for the next month. On top of that the rest of my union is putting all their resources and time into saving a problematic employees job. While doing so they are ignoring pretty much every other problem we are having. I am an article 22.3 employee that works the twilight and night shifts. I have over 25 years of seniority. I am trying to get upstairs to the smalls sort area on the night shift. I’ll try and keep a real long and messed up story as short as possible. In the overnight smalls sort there are more management people working upstairs then union members. They literally have part time supervisors wearing street clothes that are supposed to be supervising throughout the building in the primary , outbounds , and sort aisle working non stop. And it’s not a secret it’s well known throughout the building. The full time supervisor is hardly ever at work and when he is he’s sleeping or hiding somewhere. He can never be found in the area. Rumor is he has so many management people working because he wants good numbers or something so he can become a manager. Not to mention he’s a compulsive liar that doesn’t know how to do anything. Some people in management even question if he even knows how to read. So before anyone says call corporate , call HR , call the union on him I can say all of that’s been done already many times by numerous people. This Fulltimer has corporate complaints against him from management, the union and even other departments. He’s been sat down by HR and security for countless payroll problems , violence in the work place , sexual harassment and pretty much every other infraction you can think of . So ..

How can I get upstairs to smalls sort where I am entitled to be ? If the union is currently useless and the full timer can’t tell the truth and is never around ? Need some advice. Maybe I’ll send my hard earned union dues here instead of my local union.
Grieve the supervisors working. Get some co workers to do the same. If your local doesn’t get a resolution then maybe it’s time to escalate to the next level. Grieve everyday and get paid til they stop doing it.

NYJetsfan87

Grieve the supervisors working. Get some co workers to do the same. If your local doesn’t get a resolution then maybe it’s time to escalate to the next level. Grieve everyday and get paid til they stop doing it.
I’m not assigned to the area so how can I go up there and grieve ? It’s not my assigned area. And once I am clocked out the tyrant full time supervisor says I have 15 minutes to clean in and clean out and vacate the building or I’ll be put on notice of discharge. That’s when he’s at work. He takes a lot of time off :)

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I’m not assigned to the area so how can I go up there and grieve ? It’s not my assigned area. And once I am clocked out the tyrant full time supervisor says I have 15 minutes to clean in and clean out and vacate the building or I’ll be put on notice of discharge. That’s when he’s at work. He takes a lot of time off :)
Then I suggest you supply what supplemental agreement you work under and @542thruNthru will be along sometime after 9AM NY time to see if you can bid preferred jobs in your building.

542thruNthru

Then I suggest you supply what supplemental agreement you work under and @542thruNthru will be along sometime after 9AM NY time to see if you can bid preferred jobs in your building.
source-15.gif

Don't act like you know my schedule! :)

Also preferred jobs is in the national article 22.4a

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Filing grievances is a process, that seems much simpler then it truly is. We’re just now getting Supervisor working grievances that go back to 2018 settled.

In the meantime you work as directed and file. We even file on supervisors that don’t have a name tag on.

As far as being moved to the small sort, unless it’s a bidded position there is no full proof obligation for them to accommodate you.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver

Article 3 section 7 says employees may file a grievance on supervisors working so why is it the stewards problem? You are a member, file a grievance.
Why do you think you are ENTITLED? Does your supplement allow for the movement or are you basing this on personal opinion? Why can't you go to the Union office and make a case instead of blaming the Union/ steward?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What does your 22.3 bid say?

Not what he wants it to say.

On top of that the rest of my union is putting all their resources and time into saving a problematic employees job.

Kind of what I thought.

How dare the Union waste their time trying to save someones job. They are "problematic" and should be fired.

They really should be focused on getting you to small sort where you belong.

Never mind the fact, you signed a 22.3 bid that gave a description of the jobs you were bidding....

NYJetsfan87

Not what he wants it to say.

Kind of what I thought.

How dare the Union waste their time trying to save someones job. They are "problematic" and should be fired.

They really should be focused on getting you to small sort where you belong.

Never mind the fact, you signed a 22.3 bid that gave a description of the jobs you were bidding....
Thank you for the response and time. Maybe I came off a bit selfish. Perhaps I didn’t explain my case the correct way. You’re right sir , I want the union to protect this problematic union brothers job as I would mine should I face the same consequences. I don’t have a problem with that. However , this “problematic “ employee “ has a lot of issues . He has physical fights with management and union folks , sells out his fellow union members and has been accused of damaging employees vehicles . So compared to him I’m a boy scout but can’t seem to get any assistance. Just my opinion . And I get it , different set of circumstances. I’m not here to criticize my union. I’m here for help. You’ve given me more time by responding to my question then my union has. And I appreciate it. I did sign up for a certain bid , you are also correct about that. But being that supervisors are working in smalls sort along with new hires or very low seniority members doesn’t that give me the right to bump them ?

NYJetsfan87

Article 3 section 7 says employees may file a grievance on supervisors working so why is it the stewards problem? You are a member, file a grievance.
Why do you think you are ENTITLED? Does your supplement allow for the movement or are you basing this on personal opinion? Why can't you go to the Union office and make a case instead of blaming the Union/ steward?
Maybe I didn’t explain it right. It’s not my personal opinion. If there are new hires and supervisors working in smalls sort , and I of an advanced age with 25+ years of seniority and a health condition albeit a minor one should continue to do the much harder and heavier job?

NYJetsfan87

Thanks for the time and response. I never directly blamed the shop steward. And maybe I’m wrong. All I know is I’m of an advanced age with a health condition , I have 25+ years of seniority and they have supervisors , new hires and low seniority employees working there. So something ain’t right. So if I can’t get an answer from my union then what the hell do I do you know ?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Thank you for the response and time. Maybe I came off a bit selfish. Perhaps I didn’t explain my case the correct way. You’re right sir , I want the union to protect this problematic union brothers job as I would mine should I face the same consequences. I don’t have a problem with that. However , this “problematic “ employee “ has a lot of issues . He has physical fights with management and union folks , sells out his fellow union members and has been accused of damaging employees vehicles . So compared to him I’m a boy scout but can’t seem to get any assistance. Just my opinion . And I get it , different set of circumstances. I’m not here to criticize my union. I’m here for help. You’ve given me more time by responding to my question then my union has.

I appreciate the explanation.

I did sign up for a certain bid , you are also correct about that. But being that supervisors are working in smalls sort along with new hires or very low seniority members doesn’t that give me the right to bump them ?

Nope.

Contractually.... the company needs to post the jobs as "preferred" jobs, and be made available for the PT folks.

They could bid the position as part of a 22.3 bid job, but you would have to win a bid for it. File on supes working.

Maybe I didn’t explain it right. It’s not my personal opinion. If there are new hires and supervisors working in smalls sort , and I of an advanced age with 25+ years of seniority and a health condition albeit a minor one should continue to do the much harder and heavier job?

You don't even want to go there.

That's in the realm of an ADA accommodation, which you must request and be approved for.

You bid a specific 22.3 job.... and are in it until you bid out. Thats the way it works.