Union problem with Moving positions in building

NYJetsfan87

are they having pt supervisors from other buildings come in incognito and work ?.....have your stewards check the ids of the ones in question....
Not from other buildings but part time supervisors throughout my building. The latest is the lying , cheating , tyrant full time supervisor pushed back all the start times for the few union members he has in the area. We start at 11 so from 11 to 11:45 there are about 10 supervisors only working. Then a handful of union members come in. I spoke to one of the part time supervisors that works in smalls sort and he’s scared of the fulltimer. He said the full timer is trying to becoming a manager and has to run really high numbers to get the spot. It’s complete BS. That’s no excuse to break the rules. The good news is the union and the BA are starting to go up there and look around. Technically speaking this full time supervisor should have been fired ten times over years ago for all his payroll problems alone. Forget the violent outbursts, threats and sexual harassment claims against him. Anyway it’s a start. The only problem is when the BA goes to the area the full time supervisor puts on a show and works more union people. Once the BA leaves he goes back to working mostly supervisors to make his high number and look good.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Not from other buildings but part time supervisors throughout my building. The latest is the lying , cheating , tyrant full time supervisor pushed back all the start times for the few union members he has in the area. We start at 11 so from 11 to 11:45 there are about 10 supervisors only working. Then a handful of union members come in. I spoke to one of the part time supervisors that works in smalls sort and he’s scared of the fulltimer. He said the full timer is trying to becoming a manager and has to run really high numbers to get the spot. It’s complete BS. That’s no excuse to break the rules. The good news is the union and the BA are starting to go up there and look around. Technically speaking this full time supervisor should have been fired ten times over years ago for all his payroll problems alone. Forget the violent outbursts, threats and sexual harassment claims against him. Anyway it’s a start. The only problem is when the BA goes to the area the full time supervisor puts on a show and works more union people. Once the BA leaves he goes back to working mostly supervisors to make his high number and look good.

You are giving too much credit to your full time (supervisor)...because he is going nowhere. Have you been looking around, Carol is cutting the fat, pretty soon there will be no redundant mid level management left. (Real High Numbers)..that is a good one..🤪

If you are correctly stating his moronic past behavior I know he will not be going anywhere except out the door. Let your Business Agent handle it and file harassment grievances when needed. 👹

Been with this Company to know that when you are confronted by a sociopath passing as management just ignore them and smile knowing full well that their days are numbered. 😎

NYJetsfan87

You are giving too much credit to your full time (supervisor)...because he is going nowhere. Have you been looking around, Carol is cutting the fat, pretty soon there will be no redundant mid level management left. (Real High Numbers)..that is a good one..🤪

If you are correctly stating his moronic past behavior I know he will not be going anywhere except out the door. Let your Business Agent handle it and file harassment grievances when needed. 👹

Been with this Company to know that when you are confronted by a sociopath passing as management just ignore them and smile knowing full well that their days are numbered. 😎
Thanks for the response. But it’s wishful thinking. Not only are they not going to fire him but there is talk they may make him a manager. Go figure , a manager that can’t read/write , doesn’t come to work half the time , leaves early when he does come to work and sleeps on the job. The entire building is in agreement this man should have been fired a long time ago. When I say the entire building that includes 99% of the management team too. Apparently when he’s not torturing union members he spends the rest of his 4 hour days making up stories and spreading false rumors about them to further his career. He also loves yelling at them and blaming them for things on the management radio that aren’t even their fault. Maybe it’s just my building ?? Because you seem to think this guys days are numbered and I think I can speak for my whole building and say we wish they were. But like I said from what I’m hearing they may promote him ?!!’ I don’t know if you know his history but after 20+ corporate complaints , countless grievances , sit downs with HR and security from both management and union I am starting to think this man’s untouchable.

Commercial Inside Release

@NYJetsfan87 as I've said in the past, management like you described is commonplace at Brown. All the remaining management that you deem tolerable, is actually the exception... And, probably has more to do with the quality of your community, than anything else -- (meaning they're more evolved, educated, civilized than most of America.)

Superteeth2478

Is this full-time supervisor who seems to be untouchable a member of many protected classes? For instance, is he a homosexual/bisexual/minority/missing limbs/transsexual/a female/old/a veteran/pregnant/you get the idea? Because we had a crazy lady that was the trifecta (bisexual minority woman) who terrorized employees and got away with it for a long time.

The Range

In too deep
How are other locals dealing with combo bids posted as "WAD"? Here, it seems certain people with work as directed bids are able to use their seniority for whatever position they desire, while others spin wheels and end up in a load. There is little congruity.

Its_a_me

Thank you for the response. I am the first to admit I wasn’t 100% aware of the rules. I never really needed to know the rules or needed the union until now. I never had to deal with the full time supervisor from the smalls sort area until recently. He’s a very bad person in general. I think the union needs to change the rules. I understand I agreed to a certain position. That being said nobody explained that to me. Neither management or the union. I got that information from this forum. In my opinion a part time employee in their 20’s with less then a year on the job shouldn’t have an easier job and job preference over someone with 25+ years on the job that’s in in the late 50’s.
1) One of the top rules in life...know what you are putting your signature on to commit to.

2) Second rule: no one is going to do the background work for you. The explanation is in the CBA. It is written for YOU to be able to read--on your own. Your mommy is not going to come and hold your hand and explain every aspect of a position. It comes down to one easily understood idea.

3) Third rule: get involved in protecting and knowing your own rights under a contract or be prepared to surrender them.

You are assigned where the company needs you. You don't get a choice. They can assign you to drive. They can assign you to do inside work. They can stick you in the trailers on a 100 degree day. You are the UAW jobs bank worker for UPS. That's where Hoffa got the idea from.

You gave away your seniority and all other rights for job selection to go from 17.5 hours guaranteed to 40 hours a week guaranteed.

But those 40 hours can be split such that no one in their right mind would work them (preload from 4-8am and driving 2-6 pm or how ever your building is split with shifts.). Every driver was very vocal about the position in my building before the contract was even voted on. It was at its best doing the same job for less money with no OT protections. They knew it was put in there to split the union in two and would create resentment that would not be sustainable in the future. It was often described in our building as the single guy in his early 20's that wants to work himself to death job.

Even then, the 22.3's in my building are quitting left and right. They are too scared to grieve anything (like not having a posted schedule for the next week or supervisors unloading their 1/2 full trucks between sorts). Upper management has made a quiet side deal with 3 of them (so they can be on-call instead of scheduled and get weekends off) that is about to get blown up by a 22.4's grievance about being forced in on a Saturday. 2 of the 3 have outside jobs and rarely work. I see them once or twice a week (I think when their off their other jobs and the 3 don't work Saturdays--at least not yet). They are afraid to make "waves."

It appears to me that you wanted to eat your cake and have it too. The very issue most young people have with Boomers (and older Gen X'ers).

I think it is very much fair that someone that agrees to work PT during one selected shift would not be constantly bumped from their job based on IF a 22.3 was assigned inside today. Say for example you work in a building without auto-scanner sorted packages and have to know zip codes to pull them into a trailer: you want me to remember those zip codes when a 22.3 bumped in and did that job for a month after peak or summer vacation season was over?

I appreciate the explanation.

Nope.

Contractually.... the company needs to post the jobs as "preferred" jobs, and be made available for the PT folks.

They could bid the position as part of a 22.3 bid job, but you would have to win a bid for it. File on supes working.

You don't even want to go there.

That's in the realm of an ADA accommodation, which you must request and be approved for.

You bid a specific 22.3 job.... and are in it until you bid out. Thats the way it works.
I have a similar position. My question is, can't they change the article 22.3 description at will? In my case they have 3xs and the steward says they can. For instance they changed it from M-friend to T-S with different start times. Said it was temporary through Xmas. That was 2 yrs ago. I have 28 yrs of service.

NYJetsfan87

1) One of the top rules in life...know what you are putting your signature on to commit to.

2) Second rule: no one is going to do the background work for you. The explanation is in the CBA. It is written for YOU to be able to read--on your own. Your mommy is not going to come and hold your hand and explain every aspect of a position. It comes down to one easily understood idea.

3) Third rule: get involved in protecting and knowing your own rights under a contract or be prepared to surrender them.

You are assigned where the company needs you. You don't get a choice. They can assign you to drive. They can assign you to do inside work. They can stick you in the trailers on a 100 degree day. You are the UAW jobs bank worker for UPS. That's where Hoffa got the idea from.

You gave away your seniority and all other rights for job selection to go from 17.5 hours guaranteed to 40 hours a week guaranteed.

But those 40 hours can be split such that no one in their right mind would work them (preload from 4-8am and driving 2-6 pm or how ever your building is split with shifts.). Every driver was very vocal about the position in my building before the contract was even voted on. It was at its best doing the same job for less money with no OT protections. They knew it was put in there to split the union in two and would create resentment that would not be sustainable in the future. It was often described in our building as the single guy in his early 20's that wants to work himself to death job.

Even then, the 22.3's in my building are quitting left and right. They are too scared to grieve anything (like not having a posted schedule for the next week or supervisors unloading their 1/2 full trucks between sorts). Upper management has made a quiet side deal with 3 of them (so they can be on-call instead of scheduled and get weekends off) that is about to get blown up by a 22.4's grievance about being forced in on a Saturday. 2 of the 3 have outside jobs and rarely work. I see them once or twice a week (I think when their off their other jobs and the 3 don't work Saturdays--at least not yet). They are afraid to make "waves."

It appears to me that you wanted to eat your cake and have it too. The very issue most young people have with Boomers (and older Gen X'ers).

I think it is very much fair that someone that agrees to work PT during one selected shift would not be constantly bumped from their job based on IF a 22.3 was assigned inside today. Say for example you work in a building without auto-scanner sorted packages and have to know zip codes to pull them into a trailer: you want me to remember those zip codes when a 22.3 bumped in and did that job for a month after peak or summer vacation season was over?
I appreciate the informative response. Yeah I get it. I can’t disagree I should have known what I signed up for. And I should know the rules a lot better . Since then I got my hands on a union book which wasn’t as easy as it sounds. And I have been learning it . Thanks again for taking the time to respond.