Union VS. Non-Union

sx2700

Banned
Union vs non-union, what a conversation starter this is. The context alone automatically stirs up an emotion or two. It's like America Vs China in the olympics, or Cardinals Vs Cubs, or better yet UPS Vs Fed Ex. Which makes my next point. Anyone out there know if there is truely an aggressive campaign against Fed Ex to unionize them. If this were to happen we would all make out like fat cats, including fed ex. Price wouldn't be near the factor it is, and we would kill them on service. Wait a minute, we already kill them on service, it's just some fail to realize it when fed ex walks in and cuts our legs off on price. I know of some accounts where fed ex actually looses money just to take money from us. Those no good such and such and so and so's. LOL Ha ha ha. :wink2:

I wonder if your whole post is facetious? How does UPS kill FedEx on service? I order a package from McMaster in Illinois and they ship FedEx I receive it the next day but it is 3 days via UPS......just one example.

LuvWV

I am Positive she is an OMS! The point to my post is be thankful for being union. At least our raise is more than .4 cents. She has no one to help fight her battles with the company.

tyugar

Union members can be the boss of other members. Ever hear of a foreman? Why can't the center managers be foremans instead of supervisors? This could put them on the same page as their subordinates and still be held accountable by the non-union management above them.

I see your point now. However, UPS want's PT-Sups to be aggitated, stressed, ect so that they can push these emotions onto workers in order to increase productivity rather than quality. When you spoke of the word "foreman" I associated it with expert of a trade rather than labor (there is a difference). Just about any decent UPS employee who has been doing their job for a year or so could assume the role of a "foreman" which is why it is more typical for a trade union to employ foreman.

Capt_Matt

ADDIL
I wonder if your whole post is facetious? How does UPS kill FedEx on service? I order a package from McMaster in Illinois and they ship FedEx I receive it the next day but it is 3 days via UPS......just one example.

For all we know you could have order one on a friday and took 3 days to get there since it was the weekend and the other you order on a tuesday and it got there the next day. Where ever there might be!

J

JonFrum

I am a union clerk. We have a non union counter clerk in our center. She has worked there almost 10 years and makes just over $11.00 hour. When she had the chance to go union 2 contracts ago she was told if she did they would do away with her job and just divide it between the other 2 union clerks. . .

The National Labor Relations Act lists a variety of things employers are prohibited from doing and saying. Threatening job loss, or retaliation, for joining a union is an Unfair Labor Practice and charges should have been filed with the nearest NLRB regional office.
http://www.nlrb.gov

J

JonFrum

My supe and i were having a conversation about how the supe's not being in the union and the hourlys being create a clear division in the 'team'. He agreed that we all should be covered by the Union and if he could he would. It just seems that it creates a two sided coin to a one sided job. Do you guys like the division or do you feel that it is necessary for the job? Just curious. :happy2:

Normally the National Labor Relations Act does not allow supervisors to be union members because they have the power to hire and fire (or at least to recommend who gets hired and fired.) In limited cases, some supervisors could join together among themselves and form a union of their own.

But in UPS' case, supes have very little managerial power and some (many?) routinely do bargaining unit work in flagrant violation of The Contract. I believe someone should file to have UPS supes, as a class (or at least in certain buildings) declared non-management employees, and thus bargaining unit members, just like the rest of us. This case would be based on the idea that UPS is perpetrating a fraud by misclassifing certain lead hands as supes.

It's just like how FedEx misclassifies certain employees as "independent contractors" in order to evade taxes and other laws. It's a ruse, a ploy, a subterfuge, a scam. UPS enthusiastically agrees that FedEx is guilty. Let's just apply that same logic to UPS' claim that its working foremen are supes and therefore ineligible for bargaining unit membership. Think of all the union jobs and dues and initiation fees and all the pension and health & welfare contributions UPS is denying the Teamsters and us.

I wonder if the case could apply to past misclassification as well, not just to the present and future.

Originally Posted by sx2700
I wonder if your whole post is facetious? How does UPS kill FedEx on service? I order a package from McMaster in Illinois and they ship FedEx I receive it the next day but it is 3 days via UPS......just one example

For all we know you could have order one on a friday and took 3 days to get there since it was the weekend and the other you order on a tuesday and it got there the next day. Where ever there might be!
Comparing apples and oranges. The fed Ex package in this example is an air package the UPS package is ground. I'm betting the Fed Ex is also higher.
Now try comparing Fed Ex ground to UPS ground.

sx2700

Banned

Nice....I see your frontal lobotomy has worked out well for you. Keep your head in the sand.

sx2700

Banned
Comparing apples and oranges. The fed Ex package in this example is an air package the UPS package is ground. I'm betting the Fed Ex is also higher.
Now try comparing Fed Ex ground to UPS ground.

There are a number of threads on this forum where people are complaining about UPS service lacking lately, so I give you a prime example and you guys are going to come up with any asinine reason to discredit it. The fact is that for whatever reason the shipper chooses FedEx over UPS and they pay the freight no matter how large or small my order is. If your pride gets hurt that easily then you're in for a long haul.

broncobros1

Union members can be the boss of other members. Ever hear of a foreman? Why can't the center managers be foremans instead of supervisors? This could put them on the same page as their subordinates and still be held accountable by the non-union management above them.
Maybe you should start your own company....? You sound like your very intelligent!

There are a number of threads on this forum where people are complaining about UPS service lacking lately, so I give you a prime example and you guys are going to come up with any asinine reason to discredit it. The fact is that for whatever reason the shipper chooses FedEx over UPS and they pay the freight no matter how large or small my order is. If your pride gets hurt that easily then you're in for a long haul.
So it is asinine to expect you to use the facts of a matter of time in transit and price of services when comparing UPS to FedEx? The fact is shippers can give their customers faster service for about about the same cost by using FedEx than by using UPS. Especially if the shipper is a large company that gets huge discounts from FedEx. I do not deny that UPS's quality of service has declined in recent years but your comparison discredits it's self by not using the same criteria for service.
In the end what matters to the receiver is how quick they can get their package, what matters to the shipper is how little they have to pay to get the package delivered. Reliability is a crap shoot with any carrier, our record is just the best out there, but ya gotta pay for it.
Don't flatter yourself, to hurt my pride you have to attack MY service to MY customers.

Post the tracking number you are refering to. That would be the only way your accusations would be valid. Many people think they were getting something overnight and three or four days later we deliver it because it was sent ground.

Channahon

I just ordered a Wii family fun package from Walmart.com where you get a bundled offer of the Wii unit itself, games, extra controllers, chargers, choice of 4 games. Walmart has a great customer tracking site, and sends emails when the items were shipped.

The UPS package originated in NY, on 7-31 and on 8-1 the package went through Bufallo and is at CACH with a deliver date of 8-4. Very impressive time in transit for a ground shipment to Illinois.

The Wii itself was delivered by Fedex Home on Saturday 8-2 and was shipped locally with next day delivery So my grandson will be thrilled on Monday, with such quick time in transit from both carriers.

And the shipping charges were $30 total. Well worth it, not to run around trying to locate a Wii or wait for another shipment to arrive at retail stores.

Just thought I would share, I think both UPS and FedEx do a great job delivering on time.

filthpig

My supe and i were having a conversation about how the supe's not being in the union and the hourlys being create a clear division in the 'team'. He agreed that we all should be covered by the Union and if he could he would. It just seems that it creates a two sided coin to a one sided job. Do you guys like the division or do you feel that it is necessary for the job? Just curious. :happy2:
Salaried management isn't in unions. Period.

filthpig

I agree with Channahon on the service issue. Both companies do outstanding jobs in the area of service. I'm not really sure how it cam up though.
As far as getting offended when someone criticizes the service I provide? Yep, I do, because I work very hard to provide my customers with the highest level of service available. So pucker up buttercup and smooch my butt-cheeks.

LKLND3380

If a non union person in this case a clerk decides to join the union, she wont retain the job because of the lack of seniority she would go to the bottom of the list. the only way i see her keeping the job is if the other clerks turn down the counter job.
i think he said the non union clerk make a bit over $11 a hour.

The original post said this non union clerk has been there 11 years... If the clerk joins the union they would go by start date and would have 11 years seniority. 11 years and ONLY making 11 per hour is a joke...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Yeah but OMS in my building SIT in an AIR CONDITIONED office all summer and it's HEATED in the winter... How much would you pay to have air conditioning all summer?

OMS up here barely make 40k in their 8 hour days, and they aren't new hires- veterans. Plus, their jobs suck. It's a different type of suck, admittedly.
Anyway, I'll take 23.12 over A/C, thanks. :funny:

New Englander

Ah scooby 4 percent is 44 cents as less pointed out not 4 cents. OmS's and sups are management and are not paid by the hour. P/Ter are paid for 5.5 hours and earn overtime if they work more. Your numbers don't add up.

Are part-time sups paid by the hour in regards to OT? Thank you.