Union Wins! Hostess Out of Business

brett636

I've read that Hostess product sales were on the decline as consumers chose more healthier products to eat. In fact a lot of their key products were the epitome of unhealthy eating like twinkies, ho hos, ding dongs, and the rest. That being said, these products didn't have to die if the unions would have just made the necessary concessions as they were told they had to or they were out of a job. These workers, like so many other unionized workers, have voted themselves out of a job because of a mentality that these companies have vaults full of money that they just need to open up when this simply isn't the case. The money wasn't there, and they were told this multiple times, but they didn't care. Now I guess they can collect their 2 years worth of unemployment and maybe if they are lucky they can get to go to work at a non union workplace where they will see how the rest of the world gets by.

brett636

Did the Teamsters recommend taking the deal?

From what I have read their teamsters employees narrowly approved a deal to give concessions back to the company. The union that did not was the Bakery and confectionary workers union which refused to go off strike.

rod

Retired 22 years
I ate a Twinkie about 2 years ago just because I wondered if they were still as good as I remembered from my youth. To be honest after the first bite I told myself "Crap- I don't need to do that again- ever". Its really sad for alot of people and its just more ammunition for the union haters of America. All that is being talked about is that "bad union who put Hostess out of business". There are many more circumstances envolved that just the union. I'm sure the "Twinkie union situation" will come up at a lot of future contract negotiations and company pep rallys

rod

Retired 22 years
I've read that Hostess product sales were on the decline as consumers chose more healthier products to eat. In fact a lot of their key products were the epitome of unhealthy eating like twinkies, ho hos, ding dongs, and the rest. That being said, these products didn't have to die if the unions would have just made the necessary concessions as they were told they had to or they were out of a job. These workers, like so many other union workers, have voted themselves out of a job because of a mentality that these companies have vaults full of money that they just need to open up when this simply isn't the case. The money wasn't there, and they were told this multiple times, but they didn't care. Now I guess they can collect their 2 years worth of unemployment and maybe if they are lucky they can get to go to work at a non union workplace where they will see how the rest of the world gets by.

Just watch in the next few months how much money suddenly appears to pay off the golden parachutes of the big wigs.

wkmac

Brett,

Do the union employees decide what product lines are going to market? Did Hostess shift it's marketing and product R&D to the factory floor and into the hands of the union employees?

I've never had my manager come to me an tell me it's my job now to create marketing and product schemes in order to grow the company business. I'm damn lucky these days if I have a manager that knows the difference between a motor, VFD and clipper lacing!

wkmac

I ate a Twinkie about 2 years ago just because I wondered if they were still as good as I remembered from my youth. To be honest after the first bite I told myself "Crap- I don't need to do that again- ever". Its really sad for alot of people and its just more ammunition for the union haters of America. All that is being talked about is that "bad union who put Hostess out of business". There are many more circumstances envolved that just the union. I'm sure the "Twinkie union situation" will come up at a lot of future contract negotiations and company pep rallys

Seems on some level Brett already has the talking points.

brett636

Brett,

Do the union employees decide what product lines are going to market? Did Hostess shift it's marketing and product R&D to the factory floor and into the hands of the union employees?

I've never had my manager come to me an tell me it's my job now to create marketing and product schemes in order to grow the company business. I'm damn lucky these days if I have a manager that knows the difference between a motor, VFD and clipper lacing!

All that is a moot point at this stage in the game. The company was bleeding money, it told its workers this and they didn't take it seriously. Now they are out of a job because of it.

wkmac

All that is a moot point at this stage in the game. The company was bleeding money, it told its workers this and they didn't take it seriously. Now they are out of a job because of it.

A guess a coroner can say the same thing about the dead body laying on his/her table too. Why learn the details as we might find the truth.

brett636

Seems on some level Brett already has the talking points.

If you want to call the truth "talking points" so be it. I'd imagine that snack food market is not one of huge margins, and in fact they are probably slim margins which have gotten slimmer over the years. The employees could have given their company a little breathing room to get back to good financial health, but they decided against it. Now 18,500 workers are out of a job.

brett636

A guess a coroner can say the same thing about the dead body laying on his/her table too. Why learn the details as we might find the truth.

Maybe if the patient had accepted the doctors recommendations for treatment they wouldn't be dead on the table to begin with.

wkmac

If you want to call the truth "talking points" so be it. I'd imagine that snack food market is not one of huge margins, and in fact they are probably slim margins which have gotten slimmer over the years. The employees could have given their company a little breathing room to get back to good financial health, but they decided against it. Now 18,500 workers are out of a job.

I'm inclined to agree but I'd like to know why the Teamsters came to one conclusion and the bakery union came to another. Did they see or know something we do not or were they just hard heads? I'd like facts to determine and not getting my talking points from one side.

bbsam

Staff member
Really? An industry selling processed surgar and fat and food "stuff" doesn't run on huge profit margins? C'mon brett.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Try one deep fried. Ill eat about 20 if given the chance.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Fat Cat Union Bosses, "LET THEM EAT CAKE!"

It is instructive to see the fat-cat salaries that the union bosses receive. The March 2012 LM-2, the annual filing required by the Department of Labor for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union reveals that union bosses collectively received more than $3 million in compensation. The secretary treasurer takes down a whopping $196, 627 while the president rakes in $210,672. Hey, the Big Labor execs have their dough, so why should they sweat, a month before Christmas, about 18,500 employees going jobless? Perhaps they should adopt a new slogan for their union: Let ‘em eat cake.

This is from the left-wing liberal newspaper - The Washington Post.
Ding dongs - Big Labor strikes again - Right Turn - The Washington Post