United Way Donations

upschuck

That is so funny. I worked with a driver who was a cheerleader for United Way and volunteered a lot of his own time to try to get other to donate. Then he had a family tragedy and his son needed help. How much do you think United Way helped him? nada.
I suppose he doesn't volunteer anymore?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah, I don't do well with that kind of tactic.
Me neither. They came around with UW paperwork a few weeks ago...oh bb58....you want to give $2 a week like last year? Uh...I gave nothing a week last year...and I want to give the same amount this year! I ended up giving a 50 cent one time donation...but they didnt ask me for the money...wonder if it just comes out of my check?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
3104330.jpg

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I used to give One dollar,One Time(so the center manager would get an Attaboy for 100% participating) and a new center manager a few years ago acted insulted by my donation so i no longer give anything<shrug>

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Then he had a family tragedy and his son needed help. How much do you think United Way helped him? nada.

We had a story like that here, too. Driver donated regularly and then when HE needed help, the UW said he earned too much money to be eligible for anything. I guess they only help people on drugs "try" to get clean. I don't give them a penny.

Whargoul

My center manager called me into the office and sat me down ( I thought I was in trouble or something). Then he asked me to make a leadership donation to UW. I thought it was a pretty rotten tactic.

upschuck

My center manager called me into the office and sat me down ( I thought I was in trouble or something). Then he asked me to make a leadership donation to UW. I thought it was a pretty rotten tactic.
Management? To move up, you need to give to a variety of things. Otherwise, they get nothing with that tactic.

oldngray

nowhere special

UPS will try to sit you in the office with 2 or 3 management people and they will try to gang up on you to pressure you to give to United Way. All you need to do is say no and its a personal decision. You don't need to explain your reasons.

I had a brother who needed help from charities to pay his medical expenses. UW kicked in a few hundred dollars (a pittance compared to what was needed and only after a profane amount of paperwork) and still sends our entire family mail to this day reminding us to pay it forward. Ick.

I still donate through UPS, specifically to the now-partner of UW that actually gave us what we needed at the time. I can still look like a model human being to management and get a good % of my cash to where I want it. That subtracted from 100% = % selfishness. But that's for the thinking types to wade through.

What really irks me though is that their methods will make people associate negative feelings toward being charitable, which on the whole is counter-productive, short-sighted, and blatantly self-centered on UPS's part. Especially given the younger generation, who will be inheriting this earth and will remember their time at UPS if and when they achieve more disposable income.

UPS is essentially eliminating non-forced donations from the public's unconscious motivation, and with a 400% turnover rate the public at large may soon be mostly former UPS employees.

There is some hyperbole in there, but how much impact do 700,000+ disgruntled former employees annually have on charitable contributions on the whole? That's the population of Manhattan in ten years.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I used to give One dollar,One Time(so the center manager would get an Attaboy for 100% participating) and a new center manager a few years ago acted insulted by my donation so i no longer give anything<shrug>
Same here, long ago I pledged $1 and manager asked if I wanted to donate more, I said $1 was fine. It had been $1 for several years. There was a sort of awkward moment and the look I got was as though I donated $0. No thank you but an "alright, fine". Since being looked down upon to a degree, the next year it was $0.