United Way

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
what is the point of the company making such a big deal over this charity?
it doesn't help our profits any, it doesn't improve our daily lives, so why the big deal? bragging rights??

also, why United Way? why not the Annie Casey Foundation, a charity founded by our own founder, Jim Casey?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
what is the point of the company making such a big deal over this charity?
it doesn't help our profits any, it doesn't improve our daily lives, so why the big deal? bragging rights??

also, why United Way? why not the Annie Casey Foundation, a charity founded by our own founder, Jim Casey?

It's good publicity and PR.
UPS has Community Involvement as one of it's Mission Statements.
UW is as good a charity as any when it comes to National recognition.
I have supported UW for over 25 years and have no regrets.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
It's good publicity and PR.
UPS has Community Involvement as one of it's Mission Statements.
UW is as good a charity as any when it comes to National recognition.
I have supported UW for over 25 years and have no regrets.

have you ever met anyone who shipped through us because of our charity?

DS

Fenderbender
Our parking lot has "united way only" parking spots.The escalades and bmw's fit nicely.
Don't get me wrong,I support them although minimally.but I think we should have a choice
where our money goes.I'd give mine to the sally ann if I had a choice.

U

uber

I make a little over $800 a month. I should look into getting something out of United Way instead of giving them anything.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It happens to be the same number who ship with UPS because:
1) UPS sponsors a NASCAR team
2) UPS sponsors Westbrook in golf
3) UPS uses Teamster represented employees
4) UPS holds back Management compensation for over a year and pays it as MIP and RSUs
5) UPS uses vehicles without 3 point seat belt systems
6) UPS provides health plan benefits to their employees

People who use UPS, do so because it provides a service that has value for the price offered.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I will.

So what % does your management cohorts pitch in?

Usually 100% participation and an average of around $300.
Most of the supervisors make less than drivers so that brings the average amount donated down.
We usually increase the amount by 3% over the previous year's amount donated.

I personally donate around $1100 - 1200 each year.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In 2005 i had a gentleman approach me ,he told me he was a UPS driver from New Orleans that was forced to leave due to Hurricane Katrina and was staying with family in the Atlanta area. He had contacted United Way and was told he was ineligible for any assistance,and that kinda soured me on every giving anything to United Way again. There was space in our center and he worked 2 part time shifts until he was able to go back home

beentheredonethat

Yes.

Although definitely not part of their total reason. The fact that we presented our contribution to United Way, and the Annie Casey Foundation made a big impact on our proposal to a very large (90 Million) dollar shipper. This customer had a core belief in helping out others, they were very appreciative of getting involved with another company that shared these values.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I dont give through UPS.... I go to my local charities and deal with them directly

We give much more to charities outside of the UPS/UW Campaign.
It's just not that big a deal to me and my management appreciates the giving and support.
Of all the things that UPS does, this has got to be one of the best ... if not the best.