United Way

tourists24

We give much more to charities outside of the UPS/UW Campaign.
It's just not that big a deal to me and my management appreciates the giving and support.
Of all the things that UPS does, this has got to be one of the best ... if not the best.
and there is nothing wrong with that if that is the way you enjoy it. I simply like to have a personal involvement in who and what I give to. I know the people in the organizations and deal with a minimal number of people that get my money. I stay as anonymous as possible and thats the way I like it. Other charities I give my time toward. Just my personal choice. Ive never liked the pressure and guilt tactics used at my center and want no part of it

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I don't like having my arm twisted every fall for a contribution. Why can't UPS just mail a contribution sheet and let us do the rest. We have close to 100% participation but nobody likes the high pressure sales pitch.

Also I'd like to see the United Way partnership opened up to include other charities.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't like having my arm twisted every fall for a contribution. Why can't UPS just mail a contribution sheet and let us do the rest. We have close to 100% participation but nobody likes the high pressure sales pitch.

Also I'd like to see the United Way partnership opened up to include other charities.

Donate online---you avoid the arm-twisting--simply fill out the donation form and turn in a copy to your mgt team.

If you have a charity that you would like to see added to the list simply call your local UW office.

I donate to UW as it allows me to make a much larger donation than I would be able to do in a single payment. UPS covers the administrative cost with their 15% match. This year I raised my donation to $2,600 to which UPS added $390. My donation goes to our local Hospice office as I like what they do for those nearing the ending of their lives.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our parking lot has "united way only" parking spots.The escalades and bmw's fit nicely.
Don't get me wrong,I support them although minimally.but I think we should have a choice
where our money goes.I'd give mine to the sally ann if I had a choice.

Unlike management, we do have a choice.

NY11725

The end of last year when one of the PT Supes came around looking for United Way signatures, I told him I can't this time around due to the reasons I gave him. He tried talking me into it as always and I said sorry no.

The next day or maybe 2 days later, my FT Manager came up to the pick off looking for my signature , and again, I had to explain myself , which is annoying......he eventually climbed back down....by the end of the week, his boss came up to me looking for my signature.....really? I really felt like telling him, you're the 3rd person I am saying no to, how many no's do you need to get the picture......

long story short....you're not obligated to donate if you don't want to. I normally just do 50 cents a week if I do decide to do it, but don't let them keep sending different people nagging you about it. Just stick to your answer

barnyard

KTM rider
The past several years, the UW movie that we watch has featured UPSers and how UW helped them when they needed it.

A couple of years ago, it was a guy from Virginia (Gunn center.) He was actually the feature 2 years in a row. The 1st year, his house burned down and UW helped him with that. The next year, he was involved in a shooting and was off work for way over a year. UW agencies helped him with rehab.

This year features a UPSer from Omaha that went for a bike ride and crashed. He is now a paraplegic and is doing rehab through a UW agency.

Every year, UPSers somewhere in your district are helped by UW. If you do not like UW, STFU, no one wants to hear it.

I have mentioned it before, but my family used the Ronald McDonald house for a month a few years ago. It is not a UW agency, but we talked to UW people while we were there. They wanted us to know how they could also help us.

It is really effen hard to express how much those people help when all your concentration is on your daughter.

So, if you are a hater, go somewhere else, this is not about that.

soberups

The next day or maybe 2 days later, my FT Manager came up to the pick off looking for my signature , and again, I had to explain myself , which is annoying......he eventually climbed back down....by the end of the week, his boss came up to me looking for my signature.....really? I really felt like telling him, you're the 3rd person I am saying no to, how many no's do you need to get the picture......

You just gave me an idea.

I have pretty much given up hope of ever getting my EDD fixed. There are streets that are way out of order, address ranges that are incorrect, bulk/dock stops that keep getting loaded on shelf 1, etc etc. I might as well be talking to a brick wall when I try to get this stuff corrected.

I'm going to make a written list of these problems...and the next time we renew our United Way donations, I will inform them that further donations on my part will be contingent upon them first correcting the problems I have listed. If they have time to badger me about donating, they have time to get their ass into the office and fix my EDD. I have given $10 per week for years now, if they cant or wont fix my EDD I will stop donating thru UPS and just cut United Way a $520 check to cover the entire year and mail it in myself. I cant wait until the next UW campaign!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I have pretty much given up hope of ever getting my EDD fixed. There are streets that are way out of order, address ranges that are incorrect, bulk/dock stops that keep getting loaded on shelf 1, etc etc. I might as well be talking to a brick wall when I try to get this stuff corrected.

I'm going to make a written list of these problems...and the next time we renew our United Way donations, I will inform them that further donations on my part will be contingent upon them first correcting the problems I have listed. If they have time to badger me about donating, they have time to get their ass into the office and fix my EDD. I have given $10 per week for years now, if they cant or wont fix my EDD I will stop donating thru UPS and just cut United Way a $520 check to cover the entire year and mail it in myself. I cant wait until the next UW campaign!!

You will not have to wait long since it started yesterday.

soberups

You will not have to wait long since it started yesterday.

It will be another week and a half for me-- Im still on vacation!

NY11725

I'm honestly touched that I inspired you. :wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sometimes, it is not about doing what is best for business, but what is best for the community.

This is one of those things. If you don't get that, don't post, just read.

Tears In The Rain, the guy quoted, was the OP who chose to start this negative thread about UW. If you don't like the topic maybe you shouldn't post.

The past several years, the UW movie that we watch has featured UPSers and how UW helped them when they needed it.

A couple of years ago, it was a guy from Virginia (Gunn center.) He was actually the feature 2 years in a row. The 1st year, his house burned down and UW helped him with that. The next year, he was involved in a shooting and was off work for way over a year. UW agencies helped him with rehab.

This year features a UPSer from Omaha that went for a bike ride and crashed. He is now a paraplegic and is doing rehab through a UW agency.

Every year, UPSers somewhere in your district are helped by UW. If you do not like UW, STFU, no one wants to hear it.

I have mentioned it before, but my family used the Ronald McDonald house for a month a few years ago. It is not a UW agency, but we talked to UW people while we were there. They wanted us to know how they could also help us.

It is really effen hard to express how much those people help when all your concentration is on your daughter.

So, if you are a hater, go somewhere else, this is not about that.

Again this isn't a United Way promotional thread.
If you are a hater of this type of thread, go somewhere else, this is not about that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just completed my online donation. I donated significantly less than this year's amount due to the fact that the company pushed our start time forward to 9:30, effectively taking 1 hour per week out of my paycheck. First time in a long time that I have not donated at the Leadership Level or higher.