Universal Rule Book

satellitedriver

I'm reading about all the different questions concerning our jobs.(off area luunh, proper procedures on how to record packages and etc etc etc) I would think UPS would be a better company if they would publish a company wide rules, regulations and procedure book that we can refer to if we have any dispuites. I'm getting conflicting instructions daily from Center managers, Stupidvisors, OMS clerks and even P/T Sups. I understand that they are making the rules up as they go, partly because they dont have a clue of whats going on. If I had a $1.00 for everytime a customer told me the other driver or centers do it or I dont care what the center manager said I'm instructing you to! I would be a rich man. UPS customer service and employee relations are falling apart and I blame promotion of ignorance. UPS and I need uniformity not only in procedure but with UPS, customer and employee relations which a Rules and Regulation book would promote. What does everyone else think?
I still have mine.
"PACKAGE DELIVERY AND PICKUP METHODS DESCRIPTION"
(excerpt section 340 of m900-003)
January 1983 Edition.
This Tome explains every action a driver should take from pre-trip to punch out. In the old days, every one of the delivery methods were ingrained into a driver during the 30 day approval period.
After spending any time on a pkg car, you know what the rules are.
If your sup tells you to do it a different way, work as instructed.
All the rules are written, either by the contract or by company policy.
Try talking to your Sup's for clarification, on any grey area.
PAX

I used to get customer complaints for not DR' ing wine (adult sig. reg.) Because the regular driver does...A couple drivers got about 3 months off signing for packages. (of course with no pay)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
please post it here page by page

The "340" methods are interesting reading, if you can get a copy of them at work, then do it. They are copyrighted material, so unfortunately, they can't be posted on here. Somebody used to have them posted on a file sharing site on the internet, but I don't know if they are still available.

BCFan

Scratch sup told me about 2 1/2 yrs ago the 340 was available on upsers.com he actually printed me out a copy it was a thick ream of paper when completed.... gotta tell y'all if you were gonna remember all that stuff you would need to be more like a robot than a human...too much horse:censored2: for the aveage person to retain....lotsocrap for the task of delivering a box of coffee or a sexy nightie:thumbup1: BC (not Bing Crosby)

UPS Lifer

There are a lot of handbooks out there on how to do your job including the contract.

If you have good common sense you will be fine.

Rule of thumb: When in doubt use common sense.

Most of the methods come from observations of best practices that our employees follow to get the job done.

Example: Driver Release methods were developed and refined by observation of drivers and good common sense.

Channahon

I'm reading about all the different questions concerning our jobs.(off area luunh, proper procedures on how to record packages and etc etc etc) I would think UPS would be a better company if they would publish a company wide rules, regulations and procedure book that we can refer to if we have any dispuites. I'm getting conflicting instructions daily from Center managers, Stupidvisors?, OMS clerks and even P/T Sups. I understand that they are making the rules up as they go, partly because they dont have a clue of whats going on. If I had a $1.00 for everytime a customer told me the other driver or centers do it or I dont care what the center manager said I'm instructing you to! I would be a rich man. UPS customer service and employee relations are falling apart and I blame promotion of ignorance. UPS and I need uniformity not only in procedure but with UPS, customer and employee relations which a Rules and Regulation book would promote. What does everyone else think?

There are methods and procedures for all job positions at UPS, that are used for training and consistency within the organization. Ask your management team or IE for a copy of the methods.

I've managed both union and non union employees, and my choice of work groups are union employees. Much easier to manage and accountability for union and management at UPS via the contract.

HazMatMan

Sorry
its lost 8 of 10
my typo

When the Yanks were losing and 14 1/2 games out everyone said they were dead.. They gained some ground and are still as of today out of it.. Mets hit a losing streak and are still 2 games in first place... Sorry 804, Yanks still have a lot of catching up to do...Will they make it interesting?? Will Boston fold??? Only time will tell... Will the Mets slump end this weekend in the Bronx?? Probably..lol..........

There are a lot of handbooks out there on how to do your job including the contract.

If you have good common sense you will be fine.

Rule of thumb: When in doubt use common sense.

Most of the methods come from observations of best practices that our employees follow to get the job done.

Example: Driver Release methods were developed and refined by observation of drivers and good common sense.

Common sense, good point, some people will try to do everything by "The Book" and throw common sense out the window.:sad:

Braveheart

I'm reading about all the different questions concerning our jobs.(off area luunh, proper procedures on how to record packages and etc etc etc) I would think UPS would be a better company if they would publish a company wide rules, regulations and procedure book that we can refer to if we have any dispuites. I'm getting conflicting instructions daily from Center managers, Stupidvisors, OMS clerks and even P/T Sups. I understand that they are making the rules up as they go, partly because they dont have a clue of whats going on. If I had a $1.00 for everytime a customer told me the other driver or centers do it or I dont care what the center manager said I'm instructing you to! I would be a rich man. UPS customer service and employee relations are falling apart and I blame promotion of ignorance. UPS and I need uniformity not only in procedure but with UPS, customer and employee relations which a Rules and Regulation book would promote. What does everyone else think?
They do not want an actual rule book. Then we would be able to actually hold them to it. Like the one where you can't bump him, he does not know the other route on monday and then on tuesday you go blind because well they have amnesia and it will change again the next day too. Different day, different set of rules. THERE IS LITTLE TO NO ETHICS OR HONESTY IN MY CENTER!

HazMatMan

Game one-- Mets 2 Yanks zippo..........Roger showing signs of old age.....He was huffing and puffing from the first pitch....
Game two-- Yanks 11 Mets 8..... Rivera very shaky in 9th inning.. Beltran, Why on earth did you swing at the first pitch?? nonetheless, Yanks win...

HazMatMan

Game two-- Yanks 11 Mets 8..... Rivera very shaky in 9th inning.. Beltran, Why on earth did you swing at the first pitch?? nonetheless, Yanks win...

Game three- Yanks 8 Mets 2. Did not watch the game or see highlights yet. Season series tied 3 games apiece....I know this has nothing to do with UPS so sue me...lol

DS

Fenderbender
Hey local 804 and hazmatman...please start your own thread
in life after brown if you want to talk sports.