Unreal

To those of you who continue to go home 3-4 times a week unpaid even though you've been asked to come to work and insist on your 8 hours I've got some bad news for you. Our full pension credit hours will be increasing from 1,800 hrs to 2,000 hrs shortly. That's after going from 1,600 hrs to 1,800 hrs the beginning of this year. You're the ones to blame ...
Tell me,those of you who consistently go home at least 3 times a week and can't make your 1,800 hrs,how do you plan on making the 2,000?!! I'm going to have a hard time myself going home the 1-2 times a month I was going home! Oh yeah,not to mention you've made it so easy for them to eliminate routes. A lot of you are the same ones who have been cover drivers for 4,5 or 6 years and cry you can't get a route. Looks like you will be career cover drivers now! Good job!
Glad I've only got about 10 years to go. Then you can have my route!

satellitedriver

This makes no sense to me,can anyone explain what YKWIA is trying to say?
I do not know.
Pension credits are a matter of contract.
Next contract is in 2013.
I already have 2,000 hrs and it is only the 1st week of Nov.
Hell, I can't beg off a day.
A full time driver going home 3-4 days a week?
I could only wish.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I do not know.
I could only wish.
We have a couple of drivers that go home at least once a week if not several times, even now. :dont_know:I have no idea how that get enough hours in to get pension credit, especially since those drivers rarely work more than 8 hrs when they do work.

PS. I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks.
:bigsmile2:

Griff

Most of these people don't even realize there is an hour requirement for pension credit. They are clueless to the contract and union matters, usually management suck ups and bonus babies that pull this charade. We have a collection of people who go home multiple times a week without pay. About 8-10 people out of a center of 75. They use their sick and personal days within the first month they reroll. Most of them use their kids and family as an excuse, heard all the crap stories over the years.

"Man, I do it for my kids...I gotta get home."
"I run around all day like a wide receiver with a box so I can get home, only the kids suffer if I stay out all night."

Same old song from the bonus babies. Simple answer is we have a bunch of drivers who do NOT want to work and can't do the job the proper way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I do not know.
I could only wish.
I'm sure it is a contract matter in Central States, but not everywhere else. In my local the plan actuaries can make changes to the pension any time they need to address an issue like underfunding and it's probably the same way in all the plans that aren't run by the company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sure it is a contract matter in Central States, but not everywhere else. In my local the plan actuaries can make changes to the pension any time they need to address an issue like underfunding and it's probably the same way in all the plans that aren't run by the company.

The NYS Teamsters Pension Plan is underfunded and the actuaries have taken steps to remedy this; however, I don't think they have the authority to change the number of hours needed to receive pension credit.

We had a retiree who was one of those who loved to take days off without pay--she was quite shocked when she wasn't able to retire when she thought she would be eligible to.

Also, for those drivers who have their hours worked augmented by guarantee hours in order to get your 8, keep in mind that the guarantee hours do not count toward the hours needed for pension credit. We have a couple of drivers who fall in to this category.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I take days off all the time. As of my last paycheck I am over 1800 hours and we still have 7 weeks to go until the end of the year.

You have to take all kinds of time off to have this affect you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think the union is attempting to take steps to halt this activity. Whether its right or wrong, I think that is what the union is up to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think the union is attempting to take steps to halt this activity. Whether its right or wrong, I think that is what the union is up to.

I don't have a problem with FTers going home as it lets the casuals work. What I do have a problem with is mgt allowing them to take "dead days" when they still have days on the books. I think we should have to use all of our personal and sick days before we are allowed to take "dead days". This was an issue this past Friday when one of our drivers, who only works 3-4 days per week, was upset because she was forced to work when the driver who was supposed to cover her area called in sick to take his daughter to the doctor's office. She wanted the day off to run some errands before heading to Florida for a week. This wouldn't have been an issue if she had been forced to take all of her personal and sick days before being allowed to take "dead days".

I had 2079 hours in 2010. If they do increase the hours to 2000 I may have to work a little more OT to make sure I get my hours. I certainly won't be taking any "dead days".

Slightly disagreeing with you Upstate, we have sign up sheets each week for days off "If Available". We take these days, I have, as a "If I get it off great, if not no big deal" kind of thing. We can keep our three optional days for when it`s something we absolutely have to have off.

Do we have guys who take off every week? Sure. Most are either single guys or ones prepping for retirement . To each his own as there`s plenty of work for everyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have had issues where drivers who go home on a regular basis yet still have days left have been given a paid day off over someone who rarely takes time off.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The NYS Teamsters Pension Plan is underfunded and the actuaries have taken steps to remedy this; however, I don't think they have the authority to change the number of hours needed to receive pension credit.

We had a retiree who was one of those who loved to take days off without pay--she was quite shocked when she wasn't able to retire when she thought she would be eligible to.

Also, for those drivers who have their hours worked augmented by guarantee hours in order to get your 8, keep in mind that the guarantee hours do not count toward the hours needed for pension credit. We have a couple of drivers who fall in to this category.

I think they probably do have that authority. If your fund is like ours the only aspect that is a contract issue is how much the company contributes per each hour worked. Everything else (vesting, early retirement options, pension credits, payout multiples, etc) is handled by the plan administrators in conjunction with the local leadership.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We have 2 guys who do this every week. One guy runs and guns all day that he does work. Will not help other drivers. Also, is the biggest crier ever. He looks at you like" look what are they trying to kill me". Then he is done at 5pm. The other will be off Jan- April. Gives PT cover work during slow period. Works maybe 3 x's a week-average. I don't know how they do it

We have had issues where drivers who go home on a regular basis yet still have days left have been given a paid day off over someone who rarely takes time off.

When you have drivers requesting these days off what is the deciding factor? If Mr. Always off has more seniority than Mr. Rarely off, would he still get that day?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When you have drivers requesting these days off what is the deciding factor? If Mr. Always off has more seniority than Mr. Rarely off, would he still get that day?
This is one of the things that irritates me about mgt giving these days. It's ALWAYS the same guys that get the days off. It rarely ever gets down to me and then when I need a day I have to call in sick. (Not always the case but the majority of the time it is.)