Unskilled Labor

bbsam

Staff member
Why the assumption that all unskilled labor pays less than all unskilled labor? Most UPS drivers make a lot more money than school teachers with degrees and probably close to three times what a social worker makes.

DontThrowPackages

So are Pilots unskilled labor or are they glorified video game players? There are lots of kids who are great at flight simulator and we only need to look at 9/11 to know it doesn't take long to learn how to fly a plane.

Serf

How would you account for those drivers such as myself who do possess a degree(s)?

Good point. A few things. Smart for investing/obtaining an Education. And whether or not you decided to pursue a career in your major is totally up to you. I think you're one of the employees here that has a level head judging by your posts.

Serf

So if you're a driver with a degree, you aren't skilled labor, you're underemployed...
If you are a Class A or B driver you would be flirting with the idea of being skilled labor. If you have a degree and still choose to drive you must have a unique set of circumstances.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good point. A few things. Smart for investing/obtaining an Education. And whether or not you decided to pursue a career in your major is totally up to you. I think you're one of the employees here that has a level head judging by your posts.

Thanks. I tried to use my degree---sent out more resumes than I care to remember during my last 6 months in the Air Force---with not even one response. Called a friend when I got back home. He worked here and told me I should apply. 25 years later I am still here.

Serf

Curious about this as I fall into this category as well.

I really shouldn't care because this whole argument is ridiculous anyways but we have quite a few guys at my sta who have degrees or certificates.

I have a BA in History. And I also perform unskilled labor. I own a small buisness where I also perform unskilled labor and services. When I apply for a position that requires a degree only then will I be performing skilled labor, or better known as marketable skill set.

yadig

Hi everyone! Im the new guy here. Im a 17 year RTD with express and have really enjoyed this forum for sometime. We are having a difficult time at my ramp keeping pt RTD's. It seems as soon as someone gets trained they are gone the next month. Its comical! The running joke around here is get your CDL with FedEx and land a good job with walmart, ups freight, fedex freight etc... Thats the main truck lines I've notice there flocking to. I would leave but with so many pt drivers leaving OT has been plentiful! Have y'all noticed this going on at other ramps?

Serf

Thanks. I tried to use my degree---sent out more resumes than I care to remember during my last 6 months in the Air Force---with not even one response. Called a friend when I got back home. He worked here and told me I should apply. 25 years later I am still here.
I knew it, level headed and a vet. Same here got home 3 years ago, stale economy, no luck with the degree so I went our and created something for myself.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have a BA in History. And I also perform unskilled labor. I own a small buisness where I also perform unskilled labor and services. When I apply for a position that requires a degree only then will I be performing skilled labor, or better known as marketable skill set.

Your fault you got a useless degree. Are you one of those ex-government employees suckling at the government teat? While I respect the military, you are a former or present government employee, which are exactly the folks the GOP like to rail against. I'm so glad that the lousy economy forced you into being a boot-strapping entrepreneur. And, yes, a shuttle driver is pretty unskilled.

Serf

Hi everyone! Im the new guy here. Im a 17 year RTD with express and have really enjoyed this forum for sometime. We are having a difficult time at my ramp keeping pt RTD's. It seems as soon as someone gets trained they are gone the next month. Its comical! The running joke around here is get your CDL with FedEx and land a good job with walmart, ups freight, fedex freight etc... Thats the main truck lines I've notice there flocking to. I would leave but with so many pt drivers leaving OT has been plentiful! Have y'all noticed this going on at other ramps?
Yes, here in the metropolitan area I see it nightly. We have couriers who have left to drive and are making great hours. And several others who joke openly about sending their app in to UPS and just "waiting it out". Think about it 17.22 starting courier pay here, $18 for RTD, $26-34.00 at UPS freight and OT.

Serf

Your fault you got a useless degree. I'm so glad that the lousy economy forced you into being a boot-strapping entrepreneur. And, yes, a shuttle driver is pretty unskilled.

Your mad because you know what I am talking about it true. It wasn't useless when I thought I was going to pursue a career in teaching History. I am glad you find joy in our economic situation and the hardships I have endured. You sound like a hell of a guy. Shuttle Driving and bulk stops are pretty unskilled. And there's nothing wrong with that. Fedex gives me supplemental income, dental, and 401k. The pride in cultivating your own business, working for yourself, and never having to live paycheck to paycheck is a nice peace of mind.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Don't they have to sign contracts saying that they will stay in position a certain length of time or pay FedEx back for the training?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you are a Class A or B driver you would be flirting with the idea of being skilled labor. If you have a degree and still choose to drive you must have a unique set of circumstances.

A degree is mostly just a piece of paper these days, unless it's in an in-demand field. A Class A CDL driver is also classified as unskilled labor by most companies, which seems fairly amazing. I have a Class A, and while it isn't rocket science work, it is most definitely a job that requires a high level of skill. I also have a degree, and I'm one of those people who could never work inside an office all day. That's what attracted me to FedEx in the first place.