UPS 401k match?

yadadamean116

Says the people without one. Do you have any idea how much money you would have to have in a 401k for a $3000/mo. payout for the rest of your life?
I would rather take a lump sum. I’ll invest it my way and carry it over to family after I pass. There’s a reason companies are moving away from pensions. Most go bankrupt. I’ll take a 15% 401k match any day

beatupbrown

I gave up on the full-time pension long ago. When I was still busting ba…at UPS I was saving 22% in my 401k.

Then I left the big brown on a med discharge, I was scared shi… less.

After few years I invested everything I had wiped out my 401k, all monies to be had, I invested real-estate in a big booming city after the 2008 crash great timing.

My personality I grab on like a pit bull never let go to its done, that can be good and bad mostly good.

My advice do not believe on the pension to be there no matter they say, take your money slam into 401k index funds very simple live below your means.

I would say the pension at UPS is on the chopping blocks not if just when?

I am wondering about taking the part time lump sum buy another rental?

If I get 1500 to 2k a month from the pension I will be surprised doubt it will happen.

My current income per month is good that can change but not much.

Elvis

Forty and out
Teamster/UPS 401K has no matching. Other UPS 401Ks match. Management, pilots and others (I think there are 4 non-Teamster) all have matching. You get a pension. I get $60,542 a year, my wife will get 2/3 of that when I die. Have over $900,000 in 401K, UPS stock and Vanguard Roth's. Have taken $390,000 out of the 401K. Paid off house on lake worth $600,000. I did inherit $25,000 when my mother died, other than that just me. Advice: Save at least 10%, more when you can. Also, just get married once.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Teamster/UPS 401K has no matching. Other UPS 401Ks match. Management, pilots and others (I think there are 4 non-Teamster) all have matching. You get a pension. I get $60,542 a year, my wife will get 2/3 of that when I die. Have over $900,000 in 401K, UPS stock and Vanguard Roth's. Have taken $390,000 out of the 401K. Paid off house on lake worth $600,000. I did inherit $25,000 when my mother died, other than that just me. Advice: Save at least 10%, more when you can. Also, just get married once.

Sounds like you have your financial house in order. The only thing I may have done differently would have been to drop the survivor benefit from the pension and used the extra money to purchase a term life policy; however, with your assets, you probably would not have needed to do that.

The Driver

I drive.
Also, just get married once.

Absolutely. Or not at all if you're not completely comfortable with possibly losing a huge portion of your income and wealth.

Also, if you insist on buying a brand new car... do that only once and keep the damn thing maintained for 15 years. Freaking depreciation...