UPS 401k match?

BrownAnalyst

Company matches of 6-8% are considered generous. 15%? Unheard of.
It will be reality for lots of management folks who are in the same pension plan as me.
Pension will freeze Jan 1st 2023.. but starting then they will match 16% for first 4 years and 18% rest of the years when you put in 6%. Transferring the risk of growing pension on themselves to 401k and you.

Mo19072

They don’t match. But with Pension, 401K and social security you should be ok. Contribute as much as you can when circumstances allow it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Says the people without one. Do you have any idea how much money you would have to have in a 401k for a $3000/mo. payout for the rest of your life?
A whole lot less than what I would have in my 401k if the money went into my 401k instead of my pension fund. 25k+ per year would add up real fast in that 401k.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ummm, I retired at 49. If I make it to 79 that's $1,548,000. So to replace my pension, I'd have to have that $1.5mil on top of what's already in my 401k. Probably more than you think...
Ummm wrong.

1) you’d have that 1.5 million at 49 so if you died at 50 your family would still get it.

2) you wouldn’t need 1.5 million because that money should continue to grow and work for you for those 30 years. If you had 1.5 million you could make only 3.5% per year and pay what your pension pays AND THIS IS THE GOOD PART. Never touch that 1.5 million. It would all still be there at 79.