UPS and Automation

Seymour Packages

Will we still have RPCDs in 20 years? Or will it be an Amazon-esque, fly by night delivery service that has lost all respect? Top pay $25 an hour. Never say never.

Kuroh

Just your friendly neighborhood merchant.
With how often things break and don't get fixed, I highly doubt they would be willing to spend the money to do so when it would be cheaper to have a part-timer do it.

Anthropomorphic Cow

When they can get a self driving car to work in heavy rain/snow/fog I’ll start getting worried. But even then, how is it going to know that the branch it sees is okay to brush against the vehicle, and isn’t a solid obstacle. Talk all you want about the pace of technological change there are concrete obstacles to self driving for anything other than divide highway type things.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
I saw , in one of the newly built hubs, automatic irregular carts trains being moved in the hub without a driver . The lead unit , (the engine) had a blue light that scanned ahead, presumably for objects. It was a bit on the slow side but it didn’t stop to talk to everyone it encountered either.

Staydryitsraining

Increasing money supply by printing more lowers its value.
Heard of apple? Heard of amazon? Money is fake, I'd say has been since the first bail out from obama. Eventually the world and society will let go of the notion that money is backed by something and at that point the fake idea of inflation will no longer exist and then money will be printed for basic income.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
With how often things break and don't get fixed, I highly doubt they would be willing to spend the money to do so when it would be cheaper to have a part-timer do it.
Is that all, stranga’?

polyp

I saw , in one of the newly built hubs, automatic irregular carts trains being moved in the hub without a driver . The lead unit , (the engine) had a blue light that scanned ahead, presumably for objects. It was a bit on the slow side but it didn’t stop to talk to everyone it encountered either.
Ours went away after running into a parked package car.

Over70irregs

I keep hearing that, yet every time I ask one simple question, I get a blank stare.

Where is the money going to come from if nobody has a job with income to tax because they have all been automated away?
Basic income (digital $ they are printing....) . Assigned tasks.

Over70irregs

Heard of apple? Heard of amazon? Money is fake, I'd say has been since the first bail out from obama. Eventually the world and society will let go of the notion that money is backed by something and at that point the fake idea of inflation will no longer exist and then money will be printed for basic income.
(The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, often called the "bank bailout of 2008," was proposed by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, passed by the 110th United States Congress, and signed into law by President George W. Bush.) Basic income is here now.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
We have 4 in our building. Complete junk . They break constantly, always need maintenance. But hey , it eliminated 4 pt irreg tram drivers !!! Now they pay outside technicians $$$$ to come out 3 times a week & service these pos’.

Indecisi0n

How long will it take for UPS to eventually automate the majority of its jobs away? 15 years? 25? 30? I have been researching some pretty amazing things in regards to automation and what is on the horizon. The drone delivery system is small and useless, for now. Self-driving cars/trucks still carry too much liability. But the kinks will eventually be worked out by the coders and programmers. As soon as enough money has changed hands in D.C, legislation will come down allowing a complete and affordable rollout of self-driving vehicles. I think the first major cut will be feeders/sleeper teams. It will start with the long haul operations out West. A driver will roll along to monitor the system and operate near point A and point B. Next I think the company will attempt to roll out a system of robotics to load vehicles. The one job I can see hanging on for the long haul is package delivery. There are still too many variables in running a route efficiently, pick ups, diverting to deliver air, call tags, etc. This company is brutal when it comes to downsizing, even to its own detriment (PVDs). I hope the Teamsters see the writing on the wall and include strong enough language to protect our jobs.
Guys like you make me laugh. You do literally zero research and spread all this fearmongering bull:censored2:.
Automation is going to happen but not on a scale that you guys think.