UPS and Automation

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Why can't other robots do that?
They wont spend money on robots to fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robots that fix broken robotsfix broken robots that some PT stup broke

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Basic income (digital $ they are printing....) . Assigned tasks.
(The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, often called the "bank bailout of 2008," was proposed by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, passed by the 110th United States Congress, and signed into law by President George W. Bush.) Basic income is here now.
Nope. Some war/famine/disease will thin the herd long before they pay.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Heard of apple? Heard of amazon? Money is fake, I'd say has been since the first bail out from obama. Eventually the world and society will let go of the notion that money is backed by something and at that point the fake idea of inflation will no longer exist and then money will be printed for basic income.
Are you :censored2:ing serious, dude? Holy :censored2: that was dumb.

Indecisi0n

Heard of apple? Heard of amazon? Money is fake, I'd say has been since the first bail out from obama. Eventually the world and society will let go of the notion that money is backed by something and at that point the fake idea of inflation will no longer exist and then money will be printed for basic income.
And 9/11 was done by our own government !

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I keep hearing that, yet every time I ask one simple question, I get a blank stare.

Where is the money going to come from if nobody has a job with income to tax because they have all been automated away?
I would assume the mass profits from companies not paying wages, those companies would be taxed so hard to flip the U.B.I. Although I’m just a dumb truck driver so what do I know

quad decade guy

Lol ok. This company will shed excess human components as soon as fiscally possible.
I agree with this statement.

Now, I watched a program on this very subject. The consensus was that MAYBE in 100 years AI could generate the intelligence of a monkey(chimp whatever). They also illustrated that in the end, you can't predict what a monkey is ultimately going to do. That's where the real problems begin....
Guys like you make me laugh. You do literally zero research and spread all this fearmongering bull*.
Automation is going to happen but not on a scale that you guys think.

For example: Automated irreg trains=miserable failure. Ours circulate the building. They happen to travel across, along vehicle paths. The problem is they have to be tightly monitored to get them out of jams. So what's the point? I see humans chasing after them and workers waiting for them to arrive vs. used to be manned and then the driver unloaded it....

For example: Our Automotive is inside the building. You circulate a path in and out, these trains follow similar paths. Ok. Say you have a set....you meet the train head on. The train can only go forward as you can't back a set either(I know a little but not much). This happened to me last night. The part time sup finally payed attention after about 15 seconds of me honking. He still didn't really grasp the situation without me doing a lot of gesturing.

Point is: why doesn't the driver just ride with the train? And what productivity is it for a person to monitor a "driverless" vehicle.

There are so many variables to consider going down any road or interstate. Driving doesn't happen in a sterile vacuum.

If driverless lanes are created with foolproof barriers, driverless vehicles can be used to some degree. What about breakdowns? Can you imagine the cost of such lanes?

Pilotless aircraft? Ubers? Sheer folly. The 737 Max was basically automated. It was/is a miserable failure. Drones? OMG.

Somewhere in the future? Probably.

But if AI gets to where it is totally autonomous, why would it need us? It would look around and say "what's the point to all this"?

Anyone reading this has little to worry about. In their lifetime or many others.

I am a pilot. Have my own plane. Will I get on a totally autonomous jetliner? No freaking way.

Over70irregs

Now, I watched a program on this very subject. The consensus was that MAYBE in 100 years AI could generate the intelligence of a monkey(chimp whatever). They also illustrated that in the end, you can't predict what a monkey is ultimately going to do. That's where the real problems begin....

For example: Automated irreg trains=miserable failure. Ours circulate the building. They happen to travel across, along vehicle paths. The problem is they have to be tightly monitored to get them out of jams. So what's the point? I see humans chasing after them and workers waiting for them to arrive vs. used to be manned and then the driver unloaded it....

For example: Our Automotive is inside the building. You circulate a path in and out, these trains follow similar paths. Ok. Say you have a set....you meet the train head on. The train can only go forward as you can't back a set either(I know a little but not much). This happened to me last night. The part time sup finally payed attention after about 15 seconds of me honking. He still didn't really grasp the situation without me doing a lot of gesturing.

Point is: why doesn't the driver just ride with the train? And what productivity is it for a person to monitor a "driverless" vehicle.

There are so many variables to consider going down any road or interstate. Driving doesn't happen in a sterile vacuum.

If driverless lanes are created with foolproof barriers, driverless vehicles can be used to some degree. What about breakdowns? Can you imagine the cost of such lanes?

Pilotless aircraft? Ubers? Sheer folly. The 737 Max was basically automated. It was/is a miserable failure. Drones? OMG.

Somewhere in the future? Probably.

But if AI gets to where it is totally autonomous, why would it need us? It would look around and say "what's the point to all this"?

Anyone reading this has little to worry about. In their lifetime or many others.

I am a pilot. Have my own plane. Will I get on a totally autonomous jetliner? No freaking way.
Had multiple parked cars hit in center this month. Radar on vehicles......

imsolazy

How long will it take for UPS to eventually automate the majority of its jobs away? 15 years? 25? 30? I have been researching some pretty amazing things in regards to automation and what is on the horizon. The drone delivery system is small and useless, for now. Self-driving cars/trucks still carry too much liability. But the kinks will eventually be worked out by the coders and programmers. As soon as enough money has changed hands in D.C, legislation will come down allowing a complete and affordable rollout of self-driving vehicles. I think the first major cut will be feeders/sleeper teams. It will start with the long haul operations out West. A driver will roll along to monitor the system and operate near point A and point B. Next I think the company will attempt to roll out a system of robotics to load vehicles. The one job I can see hanging on for the long haul is package delivery. There are still too many variables in running a route efficiently, pick ups, diverting to deliver air, call tags, etc. This company is brutal when it comes to downsizing, even to its own detriment (PVDs). I hope the Teamsters see the writing on the wall and include strong enough language to protect our jobs.
I think when the Teamsters see the writing on the wall it will be too late and they will come up with a subpar contract and tell everyone how lucky they are to have a job.