UPS and biodiesel

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The FedEx driver at my first bulk stop showed up while I was delivering in a new "hybrid" diesel-electric truck.
I dont see hybrids being a good choice for UPS, but what about running biodiesel in our fleet? We could easily run a "B20" mixture (20% biodiesel, 80% petroleum) in our fleet year around, with no warranty or maintainence issues at all. It would be neat to have "powered by biodiesel" stickers on both sides of the truck as advertising for the green crowd, in addition to having real enviornmental benefits and reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
I'm not talking about used cooking oil here; I'm talking about genuine diesel fuel made from renewables. I personally have been running pure biodiesel in my car for two years and 25,000 miles with no issues at all ( although in the winter I blend down to 50% when it gets cold.)
If UPS is willing to invest in Nascar and horse racing sponsorship...what about making a nod to the "green" crown by using biodiesel?

pretzel_man

The FedEx driver at my first bulk stop showed up while I was delivering in a new "hybrid" diesel-electric truck.
I dont see hybrids being a good choice for UPS, but what about running biodiesel in our fleet? We could easily run a "B20" mixture (20% biodiesel, 80% petroleum) in our fleet year around, with no warranty or maintainence issues at all. It would be neat to have "powered by biodiesel" stickers on both sides of the truck as advertising for the green crowd, in addition to having real enviornmental benefits and reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
I'm not talking about used cooking oil here; I'm talking about genuine diesel fuel made from renewables. I personally have been running pure biodiesel in my car for two years and 25,000 miles with no issues at all ( although in the winter I blend down to 50% when it gets cold.)
If UPS is willing to invest in Nascar and horse racing sponsorship...what about making a nod to the "green" crown by using biodiesel?

Sober:

Not sure about biodiesel, but UPS has the largest "green" fleet in the industry.

We have Hybrid electric vehicles, Propane vehicles, compressed natural gas, and a few electric vehicles.

Here is some information:
http://pressroom.ups.com/mediakits/factsheet/0,2305,879,00.html

I learned about UPS' sustainability program about 7 years ago. This was before it was in the news daily. I was proud that UPS was working on this back then.

President Bush took the time to learn more last year. You can see that in the link above.

Again, I'm not sure about BioDiesel, but I think UPS has done well in this area.

Robert Hall is our corporate manager over this. He's a great guy. Shoot him an email with your thought. I bet he will answer you back.

P-Man

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have been running an LPG fleet out of the Atlanta Hub for years. And I see a lot of the newer hybrids on I-20 everyday when I drive home. I still remember those engines a long time ago that UPS was trying to develop that would run off gas, diesel, and I think LPG. I believe that UPS introduced the air dams on our Feeder fleet as well. Our company has always led the transportation industry on new technology.

soberups

Sober:

Robert Hall is our corporate manager over this. He's a great guy. Shoot him an email with your thought. I bet he will answer you back.

P-Man
Do you have his email address?
We used to have a couple of CNG cars, but there are limited fueling locations for CNG here, and I seem to remember the mechanics had a hard time keeping them running.
I'm glad to hear that we have hybrid and electric vehicles. I didnt know that.

pretzel_man

Do you have his email address?
We used to have a couple of CNG cars, but there are limited fueling locations for CNG here, and I seem to remember the mechanics had a hard time keeping them running.
I'm glad to hear that we have hybrid and electric vehicles. I didnt know that.

Sober:

I'll send you a PM.

P-Man

reydluap

Here in Iowa, all the UPS diesel package cars run on Biodiesel. That's the only type of diesel fuel you can buy. Fuel mileage drops a couple of miles per gallon.

Paul

Big Babooba

Automotive is planning to make us all eat beans and stick hoses you know where. The methane collected over the course of a year will power a package car for one day.:sick:

satellitedriver

Automotive is planning to make us all eat beans and stick hoses you know where. The methane collected over the course of a year will power a package car for one day.:sick:
I've got a great recipe for 4 bean Mexican soup.
For insurance reasons, I wear a Tee shirt that says" No Smoking within 25 feet".
Give me a match and some roller skates and I would not need a package car.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Does anyone remember the engine that was supposed to run on its old motor oil?
The things never did work right , blew smoke like crazy , and smelled awlful.:happy-very:

soberups

If I know I'm getting a safety or production ride, I will have my wife make her famous bean soup with minced garlic and sauteed onions the night before. There is something quite amusing about seeing a sup with his head hanging out the open window on a 20-degree day in January.:devil3:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A little off subject here but is there a car that you can buy that can run on batteries alone? If not, what would be the biggest hangup for a car company to start making and selling these types of vehicles, especially for a daily to work and back car.

satellitedriver

A little off subject here but is there a car that you can buy that can run on batteries alone? If not, what would be the biggest hangup for a car company to start making and selling these types of vehicles, especially for a daily to work and back car.
The hang up is battery technology. Once that problem is solved, it will be feasible.

Mike Hawk

You could probably find one, but they are impractical. You need to charge them like you need to gas up your car now, but charging stations are less common and charging takes a lot more time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
couldnt they make a car that you could use for daily, around town driving, then be able to plug in at your house at night for a charge. Im sure for a cross country trip they would be a bad idea.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Chevrolet is planning on producing a car called the Volt in 2010 that will be both gas and electric and the electric will have a range of 40 miles, which is not much but may be ideal for the in-town commute. However, the sticker of nearly $30,000 may put it out of reach for most initially but, as with all technology, advances will lower that price.

BTW, all of the gas stations here in town finally crossed the $4/gal mark yesterday. They had been stuck on $3.99 for 1-2 weeks and it seemed like they were all waiting for the other to make the move to $4. Diesel is as high as $4.94. I am heading down to Rhode Island and Connecticut this weekend to see family and will be curious to see what they are paying there.

rod

Retired 22 years
And then there is Ethanol- the biggest waste of taxpayer money going at the moment (not counting the war)

Dutch Dawg

..... I still remember those engines a long time ago that UPS was trying to develop that would run off gas, diesel, and I think LPG.....

Shhhheeee...that's something many would just as soon forget.
After dropping BIG $$$ on this project, didn't someone drop the ball during the certification process, causing the program to be aborted? Or are we talking about something else here?