UPS Answers your Questions - What Will 22.4's Do On Sat and Sun

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Speaking at the 2017 Investors Conference, UPS Chief Information Officer Juan Perez discussed technology’s critical role in transforming the company’s physical assets into the world’s most integrated and smartest logistics network.All this technology generates a stockpile of rich data. Data that is opening more opportunities not just to become more efficient, but also to create a far richer customer experience.

Our approach is part of a virtuous cycle. As we build technology to support operational improvements, that same technology helps us create new services and capabilities. We call it our “Innovation Cycle.” As an example, implementation of operational technologies like Package Flow Technology has helped us develop a variety of new customer-focused solutions, including Package Intercepts, UPS Access Point, UPS My Choice and Follow My Delivery.

Now, let’s talk for a few minutes about efficiency. It’s one of the most important words in our vocabulary. The continued growth in e-commerce has changed the dynamics of our last-mile deliveries. We’re balancing the business stops – where we pick up or deliver multiple packages – with residential stops where the density is lower. A greater proportion of residential stops means fewer packages per stop, less density and in the absence of other factors, lower productivity.

Technology is helping us address the constant changes and demands of e-commerce.

Solutions like Synchronized Delivery – which uses technology to analyze packages in the network in real time and then notifies shippers when to release shipments – improves delivery density.
Speech Details

By The Way it Also Lowers Cost To Have A 22.4 Deliver It!!!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yet they have 22.4’s right now in the form of 4 year progression drivers which are working Saturdays now due to low seniority. The same lower paid drivers in progression work during the week, which supposedly, UPS could afford to alleviate overtime off top rate drivers by putting more routes on the road, yet they don’t.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Um why? No need for a pt staff. Would save money.
Um, because putting the truck on the road alone for the day has costs as soon as it leaves the hub, drive time to area, gas, insurance, maintence whether they deliver 10 or 100 stops. (I won’t even go into the driving protections they don’t have, which why wouldn’t you include them in it if you didn’t plan on abusing them)

Secondly, they’ll make over $10 more than their part time counterparts.

Third, when they get off work from the previous 12 hour driving day, they won’t be able to drive the next day due to not having a 10 hr reset, so they’d effectively be useless unless you did nothing but have them start with regular drivers. They are guaranteed 8 hours for showing up, so what happens when preload is down, regular drivers are leaving, and said 22.4 driver can’t drive due to no reset.

22.4s will be doing preload and running routes saturday and sunday. Watch.

22.4's are doing Saturday sort then driving here. About 150 packages per car on 30% of our weekday routes. They'll sometimes work a few days on the belt. Some I don't even see anymore. I assume they either do the airport in the morning and EAMs or both, or out doing routes and should be in a permanent package car position.

We just had a little less than a quarter of our package drivers retire in the last six months so things are even more borked up now than they were six months ago.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm sure someone has the math figured out or that wouldn't have put this in the contract.
You’d think that, yet UPS continues to not look at drivers in progression as money savers to abuse, it’s all about hours, top or progression doesn’t matter it seems.

You’d think that, yet UPS continues to not look at drivers in progression as money savers to abuse, it’s all about hours, top or progression doesn’t matter it seems.
It's all about stops per car and that's a big part of the problem with us getting out of the building late. Let's give a buk route that picks up a ton of pieces an extra section of home stops so he gets back to the building late.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's all about stops per car and that's a big part of the problem with us getting out of the building late. Let's give a buk route that picks up a ton of pieces an extra section of home stops so he gets back to the building late.
Flavor of the month, these past couple of months have been brutal. We have guys bumping 60 by 5 on Friday. It’s arrogant of UPS to piss the hourlies off in the middle of a contract vote.

It’s also why I think many are just voting this down because it’s like an animal backed in the corner at this point. We know if we don’t bite the hand it’s just going to keep beating us while saying “good dog, good dog”

Flavor of the month, these past couple of months have been brutal. We have guys bumping 60 by 5 on Friday. It’s arrogant of UPS to piss the hourlies off in the middle of a contract vote.

It’s also why I think many are just voting this down because it’s like an animal backed in the corner at this point. We know if we don’t bite the hand it’s just going to keep beating us while saying “good dog, good dog”
Treating people like human beings would give the company a much better return on production but unfortunately nobody on top recognizes it.