UPS Bracing for Atlanta Winter Storm tomorrow - Feb 12, 2014

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Stop over at Scratch's house. Rumor has It, he has some good home brew!:beersmiley:

I'm concerned about my first batch of brew, it will be ruined if the power goes out since it needs to stay at room temp for the yeast to do its thing. I made it ten days ago, it takes 14 days to finish the first step. At that point its flat, you have to bottle it and add a little sugar for it to carbonate. Then it takes 2 to 3 weeks to be ready to drink. Its a long process, I already have a Sam Adams clone recipe to try for the next batch.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
While Atlanta isn't as big of a city as New York, LA, or Chicago, it is a regional transportation hub. With the airport and roads closing down, it makes a big impact that will take a while to recover from. Its hilly around here, not flat like other places.

True. They could shut this part of PA down, and nobody would notice.

And, on my last route, I had a 1500 foot 'hill' to get over to get on area.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
While Atlanta isn't as big of a city as New York, LA, or Chicago, it is a regional transportation hub. With the airport and roads closing down, it makes a big impact that will take a while to recover from. Its hilly around here, not flat like other places.
That is the crux of the problem for tractor-trailers it seems.
They can't make it and wind up sideways across the road or another tractor-trailer tries to squeeze by and can't make it and 3 lanes and emergency lanes are blocked and everyone is backed up.

It seems most the wrecks this morning involved tractor-trailers ... of course, we only see what the TV shows us.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Hey you guys in Atlanta are really having a tough time of it... It is even problematic for us in the west doing business with Bank of America in Atlanta on Peachtree rd.

My response this morning from them: "Our office is currently closed due to severe weather conditions. If you need immediate assistance please contact" ......

Even though our Southern California temps will be 75/52 Hi/low we're are still affected by the Atlanta weather. :devil3:

In all seriousness our thoughts are with you and please be careful while riding this thing out.

I'm concerned about my first batch of brew, it will be ruined if the power goes out since it needs to stay at room temp for the yeast to do its thing. I made it ten days ago, it takes 14 days to finish the first step. At that point its flat, you have to bottle it and add a little sugar for it to carbonate. Then it takes 2 to 3 weeks to be ready to drink. Its a long process, I already have a Sam Adams clone recipe to try for the next batch.
You may have to snuggle with your beer and not your wife! Priorities man!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
DOT cameras are all iced over so the TV stations can't use them to show traffic or wrecks. I've haven't seen that before.

We are about a third of the way through the projected length of the winter storm.

East and south of scratch and me is getting the worst of it.
I have 3 trees down that I can see ... none over the driveway or utility lines.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why cant they just man up and say.....UPS is closed today. We want to keep our employees safe and not be a risk to the public. Safety first??
UPS closing? Yeah that doesn't happen.....except the one time the building's power was down. There was a PC with a fuel leak parked on my line this morning.....literally had a five foot puddle of diesel on the floor. center manager's solution? Unload the truck and open the some of the bay doors before we all pass out from the fumes. That puddle was still there when I clocked out hours later...I guess they were waiting for Aquaman to come clean it up. Safety first!

Looking at an inch of ice and 3-4" of snow in top of that, here. We're staying home.

I'm not Miss Cleo but, I got a feeling the company Facebook/Twitter is going to be flooded with angry messages from people who didn't get their Shari's Berries or Pro Flowers on Friday. Annee and Seini will have their hands full. : (

How many smart alec employees will retort to the cries of "My Valentines Day was ruined" by suggesting what sexual acts they should have just done instead?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
wow, the Traffic Camera showing I-20 west at Fulton Industrial Blvd shows an utterly deserted Interstate. Glad to see noone is stuck there again

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Seriously all you southern folks, I wish you all the best in getting through this mess. No more busting your chops, and I promise to never bitch about heat and humidity in the summer.

Good luck!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We're getting 2 waves of snow in the next 48 hours here. Part of my state is only looking like 3-6 inches but my part of the state is lookin' like over a foot.

I'm getting seriously tired of trying to deliver around huge snowbanks and people who haven't cleared their walkways/driveways from 2 storms ago.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hopefully ice is over 1/4 - 1/2 inch around Atlanta.
About 250,000 without power with 125,000 still out.
Waiting on snow to come through during the night and see what it is like in the light of a new day.
I have a feeling UPS will try to dispatch around 10:30 tomorrow.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
UPS closing? Yeah that doesn't happen.....except the one time the building's power was down. There was a PC with a fuel leak parked on my line this morning.....literally had a five foot puddle of diesel on the floor. center manager's solution? Unload the truck and open the some of the bay doors before we all pass out from the fumes. That puddle was still there when I clocked out hours later...I guess they were waiting for Aquaman to come clean it up. Safety first!
I heard Corporate Office employees were told not to report to work. If true then it's proof that UPS closes when weather gets bad.

Re-Raise

I heard Corporate Office employees were told not to report to work. If true then it's proof that UPS closes when weather gets bad.
Good luck to you guys down south, ice is no joke. I respect your management for making the right decision and keeping you safe. At least where you are, it will melt soon.

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Waiting on snow to come through during the night and see what it is like in the light of a new day.

you got it. My supervisor called and said Preload was starting at 0900 and our start time was 1100. Unless the temperature magically raises about 20 degrees between now and then i'll miss tomorrow as well. My driveway and street are sheets of ice. i have no desire to be a Superman

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I remember once when I was a kid we got 1.5-2 inches of ice. I have still never seen anything like it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its snowing again and my driveway and street are iced up. A 27 mile drive to work and a 11:00 start time isn't going to happen with me. Its supposed to hit 40 degrees tomorrow afternoon, I hope the streets clear off.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Its snowing again and my driveway and street are iced up. A 27 mile drive to work and a 11:00 start time isn't going to happen with me. Its supposed to hit 40 degrees tomorrow afternoon, I hope the streets clear off.
I'm wondering just how bad this is going to affect the rest of us. Are we going to get slammed early next week with all the back up?