UPS Bracing for Atlanta Winter Storm tomorrow - Feb 12, 2014

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The highways and interstates look like they are in good shape, they did a better job this time of keeping them clear. They told everybody to stay home today so the road crews could do their job. I doubt the feeder department moved much today, Thursday and Friday pickups will be heavy.

wkmac

Just came in from a walk and it's been snowing again for about an hour. Yeah, I know it's 1:30 am but with everyone asleep, I just enjoy a walk in such surreal quiet solitude. I've always found it truly peaceful.

Supervisor called earlier wanting to know if I would come in tomorrow (or I guess now it's today) and cover the Preload but he's not even sure yet if we are going to have a Preload. Normally I cover the Reload but the Preload mechanic can't make it in. Supervisor wanted to know if I could be there by 7 am and then wait for an 8 am conference call to decide if they would even run for the day. I just laughed and told him to call me back after the 8 am conference call decision and then we'd go from there. He doesn't think when in a state of panic which is most of the time.
:wink-very:

I then turned off my cell phone.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I just got off the phone with my supervisor, he is home and nobody in the office will pick up the phone. He said the division manager is the only one in our Hub, supposedly he bought a cot in and is keeping an eye on the building.:ohmy:

wkmac

Just got the word. We are rolling. Preload starting at 10:30 am and looking to dispatch around noon to 1 pm. Guess I'll head in shortly, maybe make enough OT today and tomorrow to save the option day. Worked an 18 hour shift the other week and saved the option day then and I'd rather keep a full hand for later in the year when I want to burn them for what I want to do.

10 day Atlanta forecast showing 70's by end of next week. Cue Nat King Cole.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
my management team got rooms close to the building and my center manager was at the building when i called in to tell them i couldnt make it out of the driveway. I am certain he and the other supervisors go rooms close to the building

rod

Retired 22 years
I just got off the phone with my supervisor, he is home and nobody in the office will pick up the phone. He said the division manager is the only one in our Hub, supposedly he bought a cot in and is keeping an eye on the building.:ohmy:

Maybe an exception could be made and he would be allowed to clean the toilets?

rod

Retired 22 years
If the Southern boys call it quits over one half inch of snow, shouldn't us Northerners get the day off when its 110 degrees out???

You would have to make that 90 around here. I don't recall ever seeing an actual 100 degree day here and certainly not 110. Maybe in southern Minnesota but not here.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Roswell is up and running. I'm one of about 30 that showed. Streets are fine and wet. Curfew for us is at 6. I got around 50 stops myself, all the trucks are loaded, just needed drivers.

Funniest thing I saw today was a guy blowing snow off his driveway with a leaf blower. Stopped and tried to take a pic but didn't want him getting pissed. Said it was a "Georgia snowblower".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Roswell is up and running. I'm one of about 30 that showed. Streets are fine and wet. Curfew for us is at 6. I got around 50 stops myself, all the trucks are loaded, just needed drivers.

Funniest thing I saw today was a guy blowing snow off his driveway with a leaf blower. Stopped and tried to take a pic but didn't want him getting pissed. Said it was a "Georgia snowblower".
If its a light fluffy snow I often just use a leaf blower to blow I off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have folks who do that for a dusting here. Annoying as hell.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
300,000 Georgians still without electricity as of this afternoon (Thursday)
It peaked at over 900,000 during the storm.

Our electricity went out 4 times ... the longest was 20 minutes. Just enough time to get all the generator going, cords laid out and everything plugged in.

We were lucky ... surrounded by people who got it much worse.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That is the worst when power goes out and its cold. We lost power here once in a summer storm, it was out for I think 3 wks. and it was like 80 every day. Really no problem, I wake up, its rote, I bathed in the lake, and cooked on the grill. And it was daylight til 10. But when its cold, whole different animal. Prayers for all with broken pipes, and $$ bills.