UPS Career

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Bleedin, I thought you are in NYC; you guys must wait many years to get into FT?

To the OP: being located in a major urban hub should help. Myself, it took me only a year (actually slightly less: hired 9/3/02, began driver orientation 9/1/03, although my seniority date wasn't until 10/13, after the minimum one year wait in my local a newly hired hub worker has to wait to change classifications). My experiences aren't typical, but I noticed several things in your post that are similar to me. I also served as a helper during peak (and liked it a lot). My attitude and outlook towards UPS was focused more on what could be-career opportunities and the such-rather than the tough conditions I faced then. Let it be known that you want to be a driver; talk to your center team about your desires, and ask them often what you can do to better your chances.

Most important, be known as a good worker, and show a willingness and eagerness to offer help I other areas if you are doing good in yours.If my pull was well under control on the boxline and my bins were clean, my supes would ask me to go help on the slide or on another pull that needed help. Yes, that "wasn't my job" per se, ad it was annoying having to hustle and catch up on my pull when I returned, but I did it without complaint. Hence, my supes taught me how to drive a manual, as I did not know how, and I was in driving class one year after getting hired. Unless you work in a small hub, you don't have to wait 5-10 years to become a driver. Just recognize it isn't all about "putting in the time until you earned it". Let em know you want this, because not many do inside the operation, believe it or not.
no, I'm not in NYC....i'm out on long island. The nyc guys are driving FT (so I've heard) within two years.....