UPS Chief Executive Gets Raise

Channahon

In this God awful economy of the last 5 years, any CEO who can keep their company afloat, is worth their weight in gold. The stock was down under $40 dollars a couple years back and is now over $70. For the shareholders and employees a good thing. JMO

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Chan, I gotta agree, at least to some extent.

And any way you cut it, 10 million is small potatoes to others that do much less, but yet receive 10 R 100 times what he got.

One last thought. I do find it interesting how the BOD approves this increase. That same BOD, where many of the members are leaders in other businesses. Those people too get great increases in income, when one hand washes the other. I keep hearing this is not how its done, but how else can you explain how all these top management keep taking millions from companies that are "not making any money".

Of course, the union and the gooberment both do the same thing, so again, the middle class gets the screw from both sides and top.

d

upsgrunt

What did Scott do that was so cutting edge and genius? We were a delivery company 100 years ago, and we do the exact same thing today- nothing has changed. He did axe the safe driving awards and the Christmas turkeys and squeezed more blood out of our time studies; is that that what makes him a hero in the "good ole boys club"?

Besides raising rates, which has been done every year for the last 100, and cutbacks and take-aways, what other decisions could the CEO of UPS make to please shareholders, and when does it get to the point when there is nothing left to take away and there are no more cuts that can be made? It just makes it harder on the next guy who must try to outdo the one before him at the expense of the people below him.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Backlasher, there is a way to prove whether the COD was certified funds or not. Ask your manager to secure an image of the address label that was on the first COD. Yes, it can be done. This will show whether certified funds were requested or not.

Did the DIAD prompt you to accept certified funds only?

As far as the second COD, why would you deliver an empty box and collect money on it if you suspected COD fraud on the part of the shipper? You should have brought the pkg back to the center and expressed your concerns to your mgt team.

If UPS does find you liable you do not have to pay the full amount--you can elect to have the money withdrawn weekly until the balance is paid in full. For a COD that large they may ask for $25/week but may go as high as $50/week.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if he can get image of label. I've been on different routes daily and splits of multiple routes so it's hard to recall exactly but I now the diad will prompt if $ order/cashier. It also says under C.O.D. amount if it is so I don't see how I missed it. Been dealing with alot of C.O.D.'s in small getto stores all over our centers area's. Another driver was on route after me and delivered the 2nd C.O.D. One of our manegers had told me about the situation with it. I asked for the follow up paper on it so I could aproach Customer on my personal time sence I don't know how long till I'm back on that route and that's when manager informed me of customer paying it on 2nd C.O.D. and we couldn't ask him to pay it twice. He said he was trying to get contact with shipper to work it out so I hope it gets cleared. The shipper shouldn't of went around UPS to get payment cause they just screwed this matter up.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Besides raising rates, which has been done every year for the last 100
I believe that statement to be totally false. I know of several years that the rates have not gone up.
Back
IF the information you have is correct, then you must get with the union and have them stop the deductions from your pay. The company can only deduct it if you sign the forms for them to do so. They can not just do it because they want to. I would also ask for a timely return of all moneys held out up till now.
Ball is in your court, its up to you to make it move.
Also, use great care in your dealings with the customer, as you are dealing with a company issue. Just because you are not on the clock, does not remove any liability should the conversation turn ugly. You still represent UPS in this matter. Act accordingly.

d

Not sure about the last 100 but I do believe rates have increased every year for at least the last 40 years. Want to cut costs? The question should be if we have less drivers, less districts and regions resulting in less staff and the reason is a down economy and more efficiency, why hasn't the Board of Directors shrinked in size?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have been to a BOD meeting. AT the time, the majority if not all came within the ranks of UPS.

I also believe that the actual number of board members is determined by the set up of the corp rules. I might be wrong, but I dont think so.

They just dont add or subtract board members as they see fit.

d

Danny,
I do not know if you own stock but, I do and used to get a perspectus each year to vote for the board which has a bio on all members. Last I looked most were not Upsers. I'm sure somebody out there can post the info.

curiousbrain

I could be mistaken, but it's not really the job of the BOD to come from within the ranks of a company and represent the interest of the hourly employees; they are the diplomats and ambassadors of a large corporation like UPS, behind the scenes. Scott Davis, I'm sure, gets more press than they do, but how much of what he (or the company, for that matter) does began as a dialogue started by one of the board members?

That's not to say I don't find some of their compensation distasteful, but I certainly don't expect to see a board populated by hourlies from 30 years ago - they wouldn't have many business relationships to exploit in a global economy.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I do not know if you own stock but, I do and used to get a perspectus each year to vote for the board which has a bio on all members. Last I looked most were not Upsers. I'm sure somebody out there can post the info.
I used to own quite a bit. But there is other stocks that I have bought that has performed better long term.

As for as the members, if you will kindly look, the number on the board has stayed the same over the years I had stock. The face and background has changed, but the numbers have remained the same.

The diverse background of the board does open doors for business opportunity as others have suggested. And it does bring expertise that we normally would have had to pay for in the past. So its not all a bad thing.

d

satellitedriver

Sounds like you still have hopes of joining management!! Good Luck!!!
Never had that hope,slick.
I was offered that position in 1986 and my DM offered to write my acceptance letter for me.
I declined and stayed a driver, for my own reasons.
This thread is about CEO pay.
Maybe I am a Forrest Gump,
because I have always been in the right position, for the wrong reasons.
As Trp would say,
I bet a dollar to a donut hole that no other member of Brown Cafe has gotten drunk with a CEO from England that sat on the same board with the former UPS CEO.
A great evening of animated -( drunken)-conversation occurred between us.
He was in America promoting a venturi water mixing system. that he paid 1.5 million dollars for the patent.
I spent my time with him pointing out the flaws in engineering and application of his plans.
Mr.Ken,
people with money, and management power, mean nothing to me.
I choose to mange my own life, not others.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would be willing to bet that Davis will wind up taking a pay cut....right before the start of 2013 contract negotiations. Another raise would make the old "we are poor" argument a bit tough to sell. Of course, whatever he might give up at that time will probably be restored to him after an agreement is signed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am not educated enough in the ways of corporate finance to offer an opinion on whether or not Davis is fairly paid. What is quite clear to me, however, is that Davis is running the company in the same way that Robert MacNamara ran the Vietnam War....from thousands of miles away, relying on irrelevant metrics and computer data, and with no concept whatsoever of what is actually happening on the ground.

Something tells me that Davis has probably never even set foot in an actual package center, unless of course his handlers and minders went there ahead of time and made sure everything looked nice and neat and pretty for his visit. The truth of what actually goes on in the day-to-day operation of the average center is probably just a bit too ugly for him to handle.

packageguy

I just can not believe 10.7 million, for a person who never delivered a package. We must remember this at our next contract , we are the front line. When they need sales leads it's us drivers not there half ass sales staff. We get them in the door. We are in all elements of weather. I bet you his plate on the car says thanks ups.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
He should get a huge raise after all he is paid under daily.

Anyone who can sit in a corner office in atlanta and know better then anyone else how to run a route in any part of the world should be getting paid a lot more then 10.7 million per year.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I just can not believe 10.7 million, for a person who never delivered a package. We must remember this at our next contract , we are the front line. When they need sales leads it's us drivers not there half ass sales staff. We get them in the door. We are in all elements of weather. I bet you his plate on the car says thanks ups.

I bet we could raise 10 million to watch him be a driver for a month, I would pay money to see that, anyone else?