Ups driver/brown trucks

rod

Retired 22 years
These newer trucks are easy to drive. Not like the old days.
I hope you have THICK skin and can take harassment and all the petty crap that comes with being a driver. A good sense of humor helps and the ability to zone buttholes out.

Brownwind

Got a question for them new/senior drivers is it worth driving them brown trucks is it scary if I haven’t drove a truck like that before? I’m really thinking when I get my time in and a spot opens up to put in for it .but them brown trucks scare me.
At first it’s a lot to manage and a little scary if your not completely engaged in your job. The advice given to me my first time in a 1000 was to steer the front and the truck will follow.
Good news is the newer truck is just like driving a car. Focus is key. Leave your phone in your bag and don’t be distracted. Two weeks you’ll be able to shake the nerves. Then it’s Cha Ching after thirty days.

Angler87!

It's annoying to get used to them but as long as you have the persistance/patience to dgaf and really look out for your surroundings (getting out and looking mutiple times is very helpful for building your perception) then you can learn as you go. a few weeks is all it takes but the company will not give you that time if you screw up in that time period.

I think a lot of the older guys forget how hard it is to drive these things off the bat like imagine going in one day and your seat height was 2 feet higher or lower and the mirrors were moved somewhere else and out of adjustment and that I feel comes pretty close to mimicking some of the issues newer drivers have early on in terms of driving perception issues
These newer trucks are easy to drive. Not like the old days.
But I mean about backing up though