UPS Driver killed in Colorado Springs

Est.1998

There will be a massive cover up. Sad it happened but the family will never know the truth. 35 yr drivers wear the seatbelt always. I'm willing to bet it was cheap recap tires. Gotta save that $50.
A fellow driver in my group had a blow out and he told me the mechanic informed him the tire was a recap tire.

trickpony1

Our language says only front line tires (no recaps) will be on the steering axle of feeders.

Maybe pkg drivers need to pay a little closer attention to that during their pre-trip.

"What's a pre-trip?" you ask.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
We all know those seat belt sensors are defective. Idk how many times management has said that their report showed drivers driving without seatbelts clasped and were wrong. Heck, the drivers never knew it was an issue until the next day when management brought it up to them.
So as for the reported no seatbelts useage i say no deal.

I cant imagine an average 71 yr old person having the physical ability to maintain the pace and pounding that is required in this job to succeed except for either a strong stance on Art 37 or some other factor at play but maybe he was above average. Some people just dont age until really late in life.

We all know those seat belt sensors are defective. Idk how many times management has said that their report showed drivers driving without seatbelts clasped and were wrong. Heck, the drivers never knew it was an issue until the next day when management brought it up to them.
So as for the reported no seatbelts useage i say no deal.

I cant imagine an average 71 yr old person having the physical ability to maintain the pace and pounding that is required in this job to succeed except for either a strong stance on Art 37 or some other factor at play but maybe he was above average. Some people just dont age until really late in life.
Said he was driving a package car not delivering. Could have been an airport Feeder run or a 22.3 type of job. I don't know for a fact but just throwing out that possibility.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Screenshot_20200522-223310_Chrome.jpg

Steering tire looks bald and off the rim. Hmmmm.

Gotta get that stock price back up there dont we?
Get a life.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Those recap tires are dangerous, no idea why the company thought it was a good idea to purchase those. Thankfully we have not been getting them for awhile now.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
That's the Florida incident, right?

But this one we have no idea if it was also due to a front tire blowout or the Mr. Buckner succumbs to fatigue and went off the road

rod

Retired 22 years
Those recap tires are dangerous, no idea why the company thought it was a good idea to purchase those. Thankfully we have not been getting them for awhile now.
They have ran recaps for years. I remember having them on all 4 corners. I will say that a NEW pair of recaps on the BACK make great snow tires.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Those recap tires are dangerous, no idea why the company thought it was a good idea to purchase those.
Yeah, you know why.
The cost of consumables (tires, etc) in a company with 120,000ish drivers on the road is probably staggering.
Retreding saves millions of dollars, especially if they are retread over and over multiple times.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
They have ran recaps for years. I remember having them on all 4 corners. I will say that a NEW pair of recaps on the BACK make great snow tires.
They put steer tires on the rear of one of our mid sized pkg cars. Good luck with that.

I hated driving on retreaded tires on a country route for many reasons.
A few years back they had to change a new set of retreads on a country route vehicle 3 times to get a set that didnt shake the crap out of the driver while driving even lower speeds.

Cheap junk.

El Correcto

god is dead
I’ve had two blowouts happen on the highway going 60+. It’s like these tires aren’t rate for highway speeds, damn things were fine when I pulled out that morning.

rod

Retired 22 years
They put steer tires on the rear of one of our mid sized pkg cars. Good luck with that.

I hated driving on retreaded tires on a country route for many reasons.
A few years back they had to change a new set of retreads on a country route vehicle 3 times to get a set that didnt shake the crap out of the driver while driving even lower speeds.

Cheap junk.
So what is a "steer tire" ? I'm guessing it's a tire that has never been recapped? We call them "tires" and recapped tires we call ----------"recapped tires" or "recaps".

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
RIP Fellow UPSer.
Condolences to the family.
I'm like others on here ... I think the seatbelt failed.
I don't even back out of the garage with putting my seatbelt on ... feels naked to not have one on.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
We used Bandag in Georgia.
Supposively, they were safer than brand new tires.

Hot retreading involves the vulcanisation of a tire in a mold at a temperature of around 150 °C/302 °friend . The tread and the sidewall veneer of the tire are made up of non-vulcanised rubber compounds. The shape and tread of the tire are created in the heating press.

There are a couple of different methods in which retreads are produced. There is a hot method using a mold, and a cold method, in which pre-cured rubber is used.

In the hot method, raw rubber is laid to the prepared tire surface, after the old tread has been completely removed. As the hot, raw rubber is put onto this surface, it is covered and cured with a mold. As the rubber vulcanizes, it bonds with the old tire, creating a new tread.

The cold method is somewhat similar, yet a previously constructed tread band is added to the buffed tire and then bonded with the old tire.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

Recapped drive tires I am ok with but in my opinion steer tires should always be virgins.

Yeah, you know why.
The cost of consumables (tires, etc) in a company with 120,000ish drivers on the road is probably staggering.
Retreding saves millions of dollars, especially if they are retread over and over multiple times.

yes, that is the reason why, but this company always talks about safety BS until it’s time to open their wallet. Recapped steers, junk rental trailers with no brakes etc.

So what is a "steer tire" ? I'm guessing it's a tire that has never been recapped? We call them "tires" and recapped tires we call ----------"recapped tires" or "recaps".
Steers have a less aggressive treat than drives.