UPS Driver killed in Colorado Springs

rod

Retired 22 years
We used Bandag in Georgia.
Supposively, they were safer than brand new tires.

Hot retreading involves the vulcanisation of a tire in a mold at a temperature of around 150 °C/302 °friend . The tread and the sidewall veneer of the tire are made up of non-vulcanised rubber compounds. The shape and tread of the tire are created in the heating press.

There are a couple of different methods in which retreads are produced. There is a hot method using a mold, and a cold method, in which pre-cured rubber is used.

In the hot method, raw rubber is laid to the prepared tire surface, after the old tread has been completely removed. As the hot, raw rubber is put onto this surface, it is covered and cured with a mold. As the rubber vulcanizes, it bonds with the old tire, creating a new tread.

The cold method is somewhat similar, yet a previously constructed tread band is added to the buffed tire and then bonded with the old tire.
I didn't realize there were cold rethreads. The only thing we have here is hot. Where my dad worked in the 60's had a retread business next door. They always had their garage doors open and you could watch them make the rethreads.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
So what is a "steer tire" ? I'm guessing it's a tire that has never been recapped? We call them "tires" and recapped tires we call ----------"recapped tires" or "recaps".
Tread pattern is the major difference.
Aggressive tread for the rear tires and basically grooved tread patterns for the front.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
We used Bandag in Georgia.
Supposively, they were safer than brand new tires.

Hot retreading involves the vulcanisation of a tire in a mold at a temperature of around 150 °C/302 °friend . The tread and the sidewall veneer of the tire are made up of non-vulcanised rubber compounds. The shape and tread of the tire are created in the heating press.

There are a couple of different methods in which retreads are produced. There is a hot method using a mold, and a cold method, in which pre-cured rubber is used.

In the hot method, raw rubber is laid to the prepared tire surface, after the old tread has been completely removed. As the hot, raw rubber is put onto this surface, it is covered and cured with a mold. As the rubber vulcanizes, it bonds with the old tire, creating a new tread.

The cold method is somewhat similar, yet a previously constructed tread band is added to the buffed tire and then bonded with the old tire.
Symbolized by Vulcan Man in Birmingham, AL?

Djalu-Roo

Telematics did show that his seatbelt was on. The truck rolled on the passenger side, so guessing that the seatbelt failed somehow? He was a great guy, a friend to everyone and always smiling. One of the best.

rod

Retired 22 years
Tread pattern is the major difference.
Aggressive tread fro the rear tires and basically grooved tread patterns for the front.
Anything with an aggressive tread around here is called either a mud tire or snow tire. You very seldom see them now days. With all the front wheel drive cars people run a "year around" style of tire--or drive 4 wheel / all wheel drive stuff.

Djalu-Roo

I used to park trucks on night sort and my first week I never used the seatbelt because it helped me save some time.
Got called into the office and was informed they have sensors that tell them when the trucks move without a seatbelt engaged and that they knew it was me and to stop.
If they can tell that just for a guy parking on night sort there's no way this guy was cruising down the highway with no seatbelt on.
Telematics did show his seatbelt on, although I am not sure why the initial police report said he wasn't wearing it, unless it failed somehow? Don was part of our safety committee and always gave out great tips. Always smiling, willing to lend a hand to anyone, and just an all-around great brother in brown. He is missed.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Did UPS go back to running recaps on the front? If they did -how stupid is that. That wasn't allowed for most of my career.
They did years ago.
Screenshot_20200523-003541_Chrome.jpg

The rear duals have the aggressive tread pattern.
The front tires (when legal) have a much smoother circumference that is grooved, not aggressive.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Telematics did show his seatbelt on, although I am not sure why the initial police report said he wasn't wearing it, unless it failed somehow? Don was part of our safety committee and always gave out great tips. Always smiling, willing to lend a hand to anyone, and just an all-around great brother in brown. He is missed.
When we first got telematics some guys would just fasten the seat belt behind them and leave it that way all day.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
When we first got telematics some guys would just fasten the seat belt behind them and leave it that way all day.
And ours got hauled into the office for a talk with because it shows the seatbelts clasped and unclasped.
How do you deliver stops with your seatbelt showing clasped all day and never unclasped?
Pretty dumb move on the driver's part.
The job isnt that hard.

Djalu-Roo

R I P

yas, FXG also have drivers his age still delivering

Hopefully, they can prove that it was a seatbelt buckle failure. Telematics?

Front tire blowout to make it roll over? Or was that another incident?
Said he was driving a package car not delivering. Could have been an airport Feeder run or a 22.3 type of job. I don't know for a fact but just throwing out that possibility.
Said he was driving a package car not delivering. Could have been an airport Feeder run or a 22.3 type of job. I don't know for a fact but just throwing out that possibility.

He was a package car driver, 41 years driving. He had just finished his route and was heading back into the building when the accident happened. Telematics shows his seatbelt was on, knowing Don I cannot imagine that he wasn't wearing it.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Or he tried to get out of the truck after it rolled over and unclasped it then?
Cops shouldn't release info they dont know is accurate.

DriverNerd

So what is a "steer tire" ? I'm guessing it's a tire that has never been recapped? We call them "tires" and recapped tires we call ----------"recapped tires" or "recaps".

Steer tires are the tires intended for steering. The fronts. What they are talking about is making sure the front tires are not retreads as then they have a much lower chance of blowout. A rear tire blowing is scary and loud, but usually manageable (if duallys). A front blowout is a much more dangerous.

Drive tires are the wheels driven off the engine. Rear tires in a rear driver vehicle. Virgin tires are tires never retreaded.

oldngray

nowhere special
Steer tires are the tires intended for steering. The fronts. What they are talking about is making sure the front tires are not retreads as then they have a much lower chance of blowout. A rear tire blowing is scary and loud, but usually manageable (if duallys). A front blowout is a much more dangerous.

Drive tires are the wheels driven off the engine. Rear tires in a rear driver vehicle. Virgin tires are tires never retreaded.
UPS used to only put recaps on rear but they did start putting them on front (steering) tires. Not a good idea but they were legally allowed to do it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
why is everyone talking about tires? speculation?

okay , it's all speculation at this point.

seatbelt failure?
or driver fatigue at 9pm and he went off road?
another vehicle cut him off?
an animal ran out in road ?
he wasn't wearing a seatbelt?
mechanical failure?
tire failure?
heart failure ?
stroke?