UPS driver runs over a dog.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Only one person I ever met has said she was ugly. She is a white doberman, and the love of my life. Shes scary looking at first, because most people have never seen a blue eyed white doby. She has been my blessing in life, aside of course from my children and grandchildren. And she is huge, 100 pds, not an inch of fat. She listens, watches TV, helps me clean, no kidding. If I start dusting, she starts tucking blankets in the couch, pushing stuff over to the trash can, she is a hoot.

There is a fawn colored Doberman on my route that probably weighs in at around 100. She runs loose on the property, with one of those "invisible fence" collars to keep her from running away. She is literally up inside the truck and trying to get into my lap before I even get the park brake set. Very sweet dog, she is basically a gigantic toungue with a 100 doberman attached to it. I call her "needle nose" because she has a bad habit of trying to stick her big wet sniffing nose onto my butt while I walk to the door with the package. She can be a bit much to deal with when her paws are all muddy, but when a 100 lb Doberman jumps up on you to give you kisses its a problem you just learn to be grateful for.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There is a fawn colored Doberman on my route that probably weighs in at around 100. She runs loose on the property, with one of those "invisible fence" collars to keep her from running away. She is literally up inside the truck and trying to get into my lap before I even get the park brake set. Very sweet dog, she is basically a gigantic toungue with a 100 doberman attached to it. I call her "needle nose" because she has a bad habit of trying to stick her big wet sniffing nose onto my butt while I walk to the door with the package. She can be a bit much to deal with when her paws are all muddy, but when a 100 lb Doberman jumps up on you to give you kisses its a problem you just learn to be grateful for.
Amen to that. I thought she was a fawn when I said "yes I will take her", the day she was born she was rescued from a druggy fighting family. when she opened her eyes, she was a white, and the rescue called and said come see her, you probably wont want her. I said no I still want her, I said I would and I am. her Daddy I found on facebook, his name was cocaine. her brother got brought back the day after adoption coz "the cats didnt like him" I was working and I sent my husband to get her. I finally told them She is 4 months old, I need her now. The judge told the rescue to let her go as he would not give them back to the convicted fighting family. I had my husband on the way in seconds.
She, like the fawn you describe loves faces. Bluebelle is not satisfied with her greeting til she has totally kissed your eyes, your nose and your face, she is a face dog. Since 4 mths of age she knows nothing but the warnth and love of a family. Travelling, grandkids, they climb all over and have tried to ride her, which I do not condone, but she likes it. They are too little to know better, and she has never growled or snipped at anyone but me.

I tried to rescue a mastiff from the middle of a busy highway, got him to safety and called a rescue. Washed my hand and went on with my day. His collar which I grabbed to get him out of the road had rotted flesh all over it, embedded in his neck. She still smelled it when I got home and would not come near me, growled at me when I tried to touch her. Took her cute little butt into my husbands room, and wouldnt "talk" to me til the next day. At which time I told her, the doggy was in the road, I didnt hurt it, he was already hurt. Mommy saved him. He didnt have a good mommy and daddy to keep him out of the road. Road being the key word as she knows road is bad. Most people do not understand this attatchment to animals, some do. Those who do will understand. I wish I could rescue more.

Nolimitz

What is there to discuss from this video? Any animal in the street is the owners liability. If U have 2000 lb bull that gets loose in the road
not True in all areas. Here in Idaho where there is "open range" if you hit or kill cattle on the road you are 100% at fault.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'm sure the first comment from management will be, " What if that was a child."

I thought the same thing as well. The driver did an automatic turn around to see what that sound was. I'm sure he / she didnt see it, just heard it. If I were in their shoes, I wouldve been sick to death of worry that it was a child I just ran over. Hopeful that it was only a branch or toy in the street, only to come across the dog.

The person filming was doing so with a carmea phone off a security cam play back, obviously. I can help but love the other dogs reaction otherwords. He's like " you jerk! Run over my buddy will yea! *chases big brown truck* ".

iruhnman630

I'm sure the first comment from management will be, " What if that was a child."
Yup, I heard that one while sitting in the office that day.

Driver may have been going a little too fast (we are not CSI video experts) but I'm not sure it would've made a difference. Telematics had me at 18 mph in a 25 zone yet it was still ruled avoidable, later overturned to unavoidable after much outrage.

eta: When I asked my on-car supe the next day during the follow-up ride what my speed was on telematics, I was so pissed about the avoidable ruling the car didn't exceed 10 mph in a resi street the rest of the day. He didn't say a word.

slantnosechevy

I wish I could rescue more.

Rescued quite a few over the years. Some were strays I found on area. Found them all homes. I've been on the same route long enough to see some of them be happy grow old and pass. I remember seeing a car about 1/4 mile ahead and the passenger throw 18x18 box out the window into the ditch. It was a narrow two lane heavily traveled and it was 5pm. Stopped big brown and walked down the ditch. Cars honking and people pissed. I picked up the box and it had 4 Newfoundland pups maybe 6 weeks old. As I walked up to the road I showed all the people the pups. Now I'm all of a sudden the hero. Now I'm getting the thumbs up. As cars pulled up they asked if they could have one. Gave them all away in 5 min. Watched two grow up. One rode in the cab of a tow truck everyday happy as hell. Wasn't much room in that cab.

stoni24

What is there to discuss from this video? Any animal in the street is the owners liability. If U have 2000 lb bull that gets loose in the road
not True in all areas. Here in Idaho where there is "open range" if you hit or kill cattle on the road you are 100% at fault.
so in an "open range" in Idaho. Let's say a ranchers livestock is hit by a motorist and 2 or 3 people get killed.... Would a ranchers lawyer advise him to claim the animal? I doubt it

djkre8r

I had a dog do this exact same thing EXCEPT it was at dusk and the black lab pup came out of a wooded area running fast. I saw it at the last moment. I was tore up because I was thinking like management would - what if it was a kid? I was shaking so bad. Luckily it died instantly. I made my delivery on that street and had to come back by (dead end street). I slowed down to make darn sure it was not alive. I love animals. If it was alive I was going to have to do something. I didn't go from house to house to locate the owner because it was in a bad section of town and it was getting darker. I went to the end of the street, pulled over, and called it in. The next day the owner called and said I had ran over their dog not once but several times (back and forth). Wish we had telematics back then! I still hate that it happened but, the dog should have been restrained.

Integrity

Binge Poster
That is a standard looking resi area. I think it would be a stretch to assume it's anything more than 25mph. Completely unmarked road. The driver was probably going the 25mph....no more than 30mph. But, honestly, whether the driver 'cared' or not is irrelevant. I love dogs as much as the next guy, but the driver going 25mph or 100mph doesn't change the fact that the owner is responsible for their dogs staying out of the street...ESPECIALLY if there are leash laws.
LongTimeComing,

I am sure that both the speed and the speed limit can be be obtained.

I don't think it benefits anyone to guess something about these 2 facts.

I don't deny that owners are responsible to follow the laws including dog leash laws however accidents do happen.

Dogs accidently get out of a house or yard for a number of reasons besides blatent irresponsibility.

Small children also accidently get out of their house or yard on occassion this is very unfortunate.

Saying that the driver going 25mph or 100mph doesn't matter is a completely false statement.

Anyone who knows anything about the relationship between the rate of speed and stopping distance I'm sure would support this.

I think the sensitive nature of this incident has prevented you and several others in this discusssion thread from being truly honest and objective about this incident.

Sincerely,
I

Ms.PacMan

I ran over a bulldog with my rear duals. The owner said she was scratching and whining at the door to go out (heard the truck no doubt long before the owner did) and took off around the house at top speed. I think she couldn't slow herself down before she got to the street. I felt the bump and my first thought was "please be a rock, please be a rock", but I could then see her in my mirrors. Very sad and I hope never to run over another animal.

djkre8r

What about those dogs that CHASE the truck? What do you do? The owners sometimes just watch and never call the dogs. Just the other day a dog was chasing my wife's car and she freaked out. I told her that the dog obviously does it to everyone and to keep going. I've had one chase me and run beside me at almost 30mph for a long way.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I've hit 2 dumb dogs, neither resulted in fatal injuries for said canines
We had a supervisor 20+ yrs. ago, that when he was informed of a dog vs. pkg. car incident. His 1st question , "Is the dog dead ? "....your reply "yes"...his next comment "good"....dogs running loose in residential areas or rural areas are accidents waiting to happen

brown bomber

brown bomber
perhaps you should play games w/ the dogs....I had one that would chase along the pkg. car (on a rural route)...I would gently nudge the dog to the right, until it ran into a streetside mailbox, or fell into the drainage culvert....after a few weeks of training this dog basically quit the chase

After a while we have all run over a dog or two. It's part of the job. Some of "US" cry ( like me or I did on April 28th like a bitch of some year that I won't say) and some just roll with it. It's part of the job we don't want it to happen but it does. God bless.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry to say that I have run over a dozen or so dogs the last 28 years. Most of them were in the street chasing me, the owners did not bother to obey the local leash laws. I am an animal lover and I can remember just about every one of them, even a few of their names. Knock on wood, its been about four years since I have killed one. I think it stinks that the company will now charge a driver with an accident when a dog runs out in front of a package car, thats just wrong.

I'm sorry to say that I have run over a dozen or so dogs the last 28 years. Most of them were in the street chasing me, the owners did not bother to obey the local leash laws. I am an animal lover and I can remember just about every one of them, even a few of their names. Knock on wood, its been about four years since I have killed one. I think it stinks that the company will now charge a driver with an accident when a dog runs out in front of a package car, thats just wrong.
I can truly say I'm sorry you had to deal with this. I have lived t also and I FEEL your pain. You didn't do it on purpose and Jesus knows it. Carry on you are a good man and you took those wheels in a way God appreciates.

stoni24

Why do most want to bite at the tires in rural driveways? I've watched some and it's like they can't stand the large spinning lug nuts and tires. Usually not even vicious dogs either. Most are dogs that friendly as I walk off a package. Then when I start the pc they go crazy?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
My background; I have 2 dogs-both huskies. Both are trained, 1 to "good citizen" and 1 trained up to "therapy dog" level. My wife actually takes it to work some days at the hospital. My take on what happened- "Natural selection!"

#1 FACT. Watch the video, the video shakes therefore is not a "static camera." someone is standing there holding it. WHY??? Because there is a "history" of dogs running out into the street, chasing trucks and the "camera man" knew this. Why else would someone be standing there "filming." This is a setup and I pray the higher-ups realize this.

But it ultimately comes down to economics. $20K lawsuit that costs $30K to defend. Lawyer gets $7K while the "injured party" gets $13,000 as UPS "saves" $10,000. What do you think the bean counters are going to dictate happen?

Ladies and gentlemen; right, wrong or indifferent. This is why we, as drivers, must be so perfect at what we do!!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
When I turn onto a street and see dogs I treat that street slightly differently than when I turn onto the street and see children. Though I slow down at the sight of animals, I slow WAY down when there are kids. Take no chances. When have you ever seen children circling your truck biting at the tires and chasing your vehicle? Kids are kids and dogs are dogs. UPS cannot correlate the 2 though they try every time after an animal strike. This all because at some point some one with an expensive dog did not take responsibility for the animal and a poor UPS driver ran over it.