UPS Employees Fired for Stealing Grand Theft Auto IV

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our buddy sober up thinks these thief's need health insurance and a larger starting wage.
When I got hired as a part timer in 1987, the job paid 3x the minimum wage. There were 15 other people who applied for my job. UPS did a background check on me. They checked my references and made me pee in a cup. I got the job because I was the best qualified out of those 15 applicants.
Today....no background checks or drug screens are done. The only requirement for PT employment is a pulse. UPS is in direct competition with McDonalds for qualified help. So yes...I think that a better starting wage and benefit package would reduce theft by attracting a better class of employee. You get what you pay for.

N

NWUPSER

When I was in the HUB we had a guy that got fired for making phone calls to his family in another country. We were on the Twilight shift and he would sneak into the center offices during break and after the shift to make his calls.

stringerman85

When I got hired as a part timer in 1987, the job paid 3x the minimum wage. There were 15 other people who applied for my job. UPS did a background check on me. They checked my references and made me pee in a cup. I got the job because I was the best qualified out of those 15 applicants.
Today....no background checks or drug screens are done. The only requirement for PT employment is a pulse. UPS is in direct competition with McDonalds for qualified help. So yes...I think that a better starting wage and benefit package would reduce theft by attracting a better class of employee. You get what you pay for.

Good point

john346

No more Brown!
It just supports my theory that stupid is everywhere, and bags of common sense are guarded. I'm stoked that these morons got canned, hopefully they took the games away from them as well so they'll only be able to do the obvious thing with their thumbs while off.

sx2700

Banned

A little off topic but this is what happens when crappy contracts get signed. Full time guys don't care about part timers and part timers don't seem to care about their future. This contract hosed the part timers, the next contract will hose the full timers. They will keep chipping away at you until your coveted UPS job won't be anything to be desired. I know from experience, my full time job was a strong union job 20 years ago but today it is little more than a joke because the older guys looking at retirement had the votes and were only concerned with themselves and weren't looking at the future of the company therefore voting in less than desirable contracts. Just something to think about, sorry to hi-jack the thread.

I can not imagine a person jeopardizing a career over a cell phone or an electronic game.

To a part timer making a buck or two above minimum wage, this is far from being their career.

Like someone else said, you get what you pay for. If UPS wants cheap labor, then they get what comes with it.

JustTired

free at last.......
I know from experience, my full time job was a strong union job 20 years ago but today it is little more than a joke because the older guys looking at retirement had the votes and were only concerned with themselves and weren't looking at the future of the company therefore voting in less than desirable contracts.

That's the problem with the whole country today. Everyone is only concerned for themselves with no regard for the future. They want money and they want it now. To heck with everything and everyone else. This is the mindset of Wall Street, Corporate America and (due to trickledown economics) the American worker.

Nothing will change until there's nothing left to change.

The action in the "Grand Theft Auto" game will become more of a reality if this mindset continues.

UPS Lifer

To a part timer making a buck or two above minimum wage, this is far from being their career.

Like someone else said, you get what you pay for. If UPS wants cheap labor, then they get what comes with it.

So does that make it OK to be a thief? It almost sounds like you are justifying it? Are You???

A thief is a thief is a thief. It does not matter how much you make...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

... Full time guys don't care about part timers and part timers don't seem to care about their future. This contract hosed the part timers, the next contract will hose the full timers...

As was stated above, very few part-timers look to UPS as their career; as such, the contract does, rightly so, take care of the full-timers for whom this job is a career. As for your prediction for the next contract, the trend will continue, as it should. Most of us were part-timers at one point (I was not as I was hired off the street in 1989 to drive) so we have been where you are but now we are full-time and depend upon this job to support ourselves and our families and to put our kids through college and to prepare for our retirement.

The one change that I would like to see for part-timers is the option of either working for the prevailing wage and benefits or, for those employees still covered by their parents' insurance, the option of receiving a higher wage w/o benefits. These employees would most likely be in college and are working here for some spending money and tuition reimbursement.

LKLND3380

A video game can't be worth as much as a career.

UPS employees with sticky fingers were allegedly busted for stealing pre-released copies of Grand Theft Auto IV, says Ars Technica. A UPS worker told the site that at least three employees were shown the door after the company found empty GTA IV shipping boxes.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/f...thefts-/?icid=100214839x1200959001x1200033508

I am willing to bet these people were not planning on a career with UPS.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
We had one driver fired for stealing baseball cards (when they were the rage). He would cut open the bottom of the "Upper Deck" brand card box and take a few out. Like they wouldn't notice?? Crazy!

LKLND3380

Good. Thieves should be fired.

This morning I got in my P7 and found an old, beat up cellphone in my cup holder. I thought that maybe somebody had lost their phone. I tried to turn it on, I figured I could go to its address book and call "home" and maybe find its owner. It never would come on, so I took the battery out to see what was wrong with it. The memory chip was gone. Somebody had stole a new cell phone in the Hub and upgraded themselves to a new phone. I gave it to my OMS, she said they would just send it out to Overgoods.:angry:

We had three or four guys in the unload grab some phones.

The way they caught the guys is the unloaders took their SIM cards and placed it in the phone. The cellular company traced the electronic serial number of the phones to the cell number using it. Then they found the accounts happened to be UPS workers where the empty boxes were found.

LKLND3380

Believe it or not there are people out there getting a job at UPS just for the reason of stealing. And we all know UPS hardly ever presses charges, which means no criminal record.

I have heard of atleast one person being brought up on charges ONLY becuase one of my co-workers was called in for jury duty.

LKLND3380

That's the problem with the whole country today. Everyone is only concerned for themselves with no regard for the future. They want money and they want it now. To heck with everything and everyone else. This is the mindset of Wall Street, Corporate America and (due to trickledown economics) the American worker.

Nothing will change until there's nothing left to change.

The action in the "Grand Theft Auto" game will become more of a reality if this mindset continues.

I heard on the news earlier today that people are drilling holes into gas tanks and stealing gas from others....:whiteflag:

moreluck

golden ticket member
That doesn't surprise me....look at all the freeways going dark from thieves stealing the copper wiring. One good thing, if they are not too good at it, they are getting electrocuted......saves the taxpayer !!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A little off topic but this is what happens when crappy contracts get signed. Full time guys don't care about part timers and part timers don't seem to care about their future. .
It isnt off-topic at all. This is why I have voted "no" on every contract since 1992.
My motives are actually selfish. I want to retire from this company, but I look to the future and see a UPS where 25% of the workforce is making 70K a year, and the other 75% are part-timers making minimum wage. At some point, if this trend is allowed to continue, UPS is going to make a contract offer directly to the part-timers....something along the lines of "we will give you a $1 an hour raise and a $3000 signing bonus in exchange for elimination of the pension." Guess what...to a 19 year old, that sounds like a pretty good deal, and if the voting majority of the bargaining unit is barely above minimum wage, why will they give a damn about us highly paid full timers at all?

UPS Lifer

PassYouBy, Did IE invent that?:happy-very:

If IE invented it ... it wouldn't work and it would come with a manual that is 4 inches thick! They would find something in that manual that would justify how you screwed it up. OH! Then you would have to get on a conference call to tell the DM what you were going to do to fix it!