Ups employees

tim100

Can anyone explain to me why our feeder employees are so concerned with how much time it takes another driver to complete a run?? I personally have had senior and junior drivers comment on both how fast and how slow I have done jobs, what gives? why dont drivers mind their own business.....

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Can anyone explain to me why our feeder employees are so concerned with how much time it takes another driver to complete a run?? I personally have had senior and junior drivers comment on both how fast and how slow I have done jobs, what gives? why dont drivers mind their own business.....

you didn't know it's a Sin to burn up jobs?:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

....unfortunately this is not just a feeder issue.

raceanoncr

Well, OK. I WILL mind my own business. My run IS my business and I'll run it the way I was taught and in accordance with company procedures. I don't care HOW you run it...fast or slow. That's YOUR business and if you can live with yourself and be comfortable you're doing the right thing, then knock yourself out!

Remember, though, if you are burning the run up, are you running safely? We have drivers here (remember, I say, HERE!!!) that do the same thing. You know what? Most of them can't even get to the one year safe driving milestone. Can you?

We have one driver here (notice the "HERE" again?) that burns everything he gets on, well more than him but I'll just use him for an example. Already this year, he's dropped two trailers in the yard. Why? Cuz he's "Got to get going. They'll be on my case if I get out of the gate late". Hmmm....I think picking up the trailer, checking for damage, hooking it back up then filling out accident paperwork, kinda made you late too.

Do you run like this? I'm not accusing you of doing it but from what I have witnessed and by your being sensitive to others opinions of you, it appears you are. And if so, looks like you're gonna hafta live with it or do things the right way to get them off your back.

upssup

Feeders have too much time on their hands and CB radio's we see it here all the time, they act like a bunch of old hens, always worried about what everyone else is doing. I wish everyone would just worry about their own job!

Feeders have too much time on their hands and CB radio's we see it here all the time, they act like a bunch of old hens, always worried about what everyone else is doing. I wish everyone would just worry about their own job!

From the mouth of someone wishing they were in feeder.

raceanoncr

Yeah, that's right. We have too much time on our hands. And those CB radios!!! Oh, my!!! How disgusting!!!!!

And "wish everyone would just worry about their own job!". Wouldn't that be nice? Wouldn't it be nice if door supes could close the door on time? Do their job? Wouldn't it be nice if door supes could write the correct seal number down? Do their job? Wouldn't it be nice if door supes would write the correct trailer numbers down on the seal control? Do their job? Wouldn't it be nice if feeder supes could dispatch? Do their job? Wouldn't it be nice...oh, never mind.

I ain't gonna win the Powerball, get prettier, get younger, richer (well, maybe. This company's working on that for me). This company ain't gonna change it's ways for the better, either so I guess I'll just hafta stick my face in YOUR business!!!!

Geez, what a moronic statement!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
The nature of our operation requires us to have "time on our hands".

tim100

just a follow-up.... I didnt mean to sound like an 11 hour trip in 8... I mean we have guys who bitch and complain if the dispatch is 8.5 and youre done in 8 on a friday... I just dont get it?

8up

with all the chat in regards to the contract, how do you define "employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest."
i talked with a former feeder driver who always drove at 2 -3 mph below the posted speed limit, he explained that it accounted for any error in the speedometer. of course this same former feeder driver could tell you how much he was paid by the minute.
**an easy check of mph would be at 60 mph, the mile markers go by at a rate of one every 60 seconds**
anyway, back to the original statement, how do you define it?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
just a follow-up.... I didnt mean to sound like an 11 hour trip in 8... I mean we have guys who bitch and complain if the dispatch is 8.5 and youre done in 8 on a friday... I just dont get it?

It's called working the system baby!

"Riding the Bull? Come..on Happy!"

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I have been accused of being too fast in every job I have done for the company. On the other hand I am also known for being a methods man. Go figure.

I myself try to work the job with blinders on as to what others are doing. I am friendly to everyone but I am there to make money not friends, so pleasing my bosses is much more important to me then pleasing my co-workers.

In fact, I try not to be too close to any of my co-workers now. I value my job too much to have it threatened by any petty nonsense that can unfortunately arise when you allow people to get too close.

My advice is not to work the spare list but to bid on an assigned route. People will still judge you if your fast but at least they won't feel your "burning up" their bid. They will just think you are a fool for burning up your own.

bluehdmc

Human nature that: a: someone is getting more OT
b: someone has an easier job

People forget when your pointing the finger at someone else you have 3 pointing back at yourself.

I've done jobs as a spare and have another driver tell me the guy who usually does the job gets there an hour later or whatever. I don't understand how, unless he drives 25mph in a 55 mph zone. I just follow the directions given and do the job. If they ask me when I come in the gate, "Reason for the delay?"
I reply, "that's how long it took".

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They know how long it takes to do a job. I don't think a "slacker" is really fooling anyone. Like Jimmy James, I try to work w/blinders, just do the job to the best of my ability.

My job is a 12 hour day if you do it 'by the book.' I figure if you don't want that many hours, don't cover it.