UPS experimenting with delivery drones, set to challenge Amazon's Prime Air

Returntosender

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/03/ups-experimenting-with-delivery-drones/?ncid=rss_truncated
12-3-2013_UPS_air.jpg

QKRSTKR

I sure can see driver follow ups going thru the roof. Just follow the drone. Pretty simple. That or will the drone leave a info notice? This just seems stupid. Don't throw packages or drop from more than 30ft in the air. Maybe we can just load small airplanes and have neighborhood drop zoned. Just doesn't seem very efficient.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That's a fake picture. Someone (poorly) photoshopped an amazon drone picture to replace an amazon logo with a ups logo and to hide the amazon arrow/smile logo on the other side. Here is the original real photo:

amazon1.jpg

alwaysoverallowed

All it takes is one crashing on a a little kid. Bye bye drones!!
This is the main reason it isn't feisable. That and the first time one of them dropped off a package in the hood the drone would be missing. Also I do not plan on expecting the unexpected when I have an accident with one of these. Quick someone come up with a ten point commentary on drone operation. I'll start...count 1,2,3 when the drone in front of you has taken off. Would it then be look left, right, left, up, down, left, right, then up A, B, select, start?

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I think eventually some kind of automated service will catch up to us, we drivers. Whether its automated trucks crapping packages at the top of driveways or pick up centers UPS will find away to get rid of the most expensive cost they have. It probably won't be for another 10 years and I'll be long since retired . I really feel for the rest coming behind us as this island of a middle class job disappears.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think eventually some kind of automated service will catch up to us, we drivers. Whether its automated trucks crapping packages at the top of driveways or pick up centers UPS will find away to get rid of the most expensive cost they have. It probably won't be for another 10 years and I'll be long since retired . I really feel for the rest coming behind us as this island of a middle class job disappears.

UPS will find a way to cut their labor costs by implementing a two-tiered wage system in 2018. New drivers will start off at a lower wage, have a longer progression and a lower top out rate. They will also pay for a portion of their healthcare.

FedEx Ground will be a major player in 2018 thus forcing UPS and the Union to work together to ensure we remain competitive and financially viable.

MassWineGuy

What UPS should really be researching is how to jam the signals of the Amazon drones. or how to ram their drones with the UPS drones. I think the whole drone delivery idea will last about 10 minutes after it begins. And I'm sure the Teamsters won't just sit idley by and watch driver jobs vanish.