UPS Feeder vs FedEx Freight Linehaul

BottomFeeder909

I was recently told by a friend about UPS feeder positions which I had never heard about until recently. I had only heard of UPS package delivery drivers (package vans) paying well (over $30/hr). I currently work at FedEx Freight in the Denver, CO area and am now convinced to consider a position at UPS as a feeder driver. I am trying to find out if FedEx Freight road driver (not city driver) or UPS feeder driver (essentially the same job: building sets, pulling them to adjacent service centers, etc.) would be the most profitable job overall. If anyone can give as much accurate information as possible to compare these positions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have applied to UPS feeder and have interviewed/had orientation with an HR supervisor (who honestly didn't seem like she knew a whole lot about the position - rough numbers, etc.)

What I know:

FedEx Freight road driver:

Pay: Paid per mile with flat rate pay for non-driving tasks and hourly pay for delays and running containers to/from rail yard. Flat rates: 1/2 hour for each hook. 1/2 hour for each drop. 1/4 hour for each fuel. 1/4 hour for hooking up to already hooked sets (tractor-only). I believe 1/4 hour for chaining up.
My Specific Center: Cap pay (tier 4/4th year) for drivers after 3 years from starting with either the city or the road is currently $28.83/hr and $0.6832 CPM. Use the hourly rate to figure out flat rate pay.
Common Annual Gross Numbers: Capped drivers are making between $70k - $140k/year. It varies greatly upon bid (most senior drivers have first pick on bids and vacation requests) and availability/desire to work on Saturdays. Making above $115k in a year seems to be more rare. I personally know someone well on his way to make $110k for the year (I saw his pay stub this week) averaging 60 hour weeks (he runs from Denver, CO to Wamsutter, WY. Also, I'm basing his hours/week on the time he enters the yard for work to when he leaves the yard to go home). This driver claims to have seen someone pull mid 130's for a year. I know a driver from Grand Junction, CO (their drivers cap at the same pay as our drivers) that made $87k in his first year (demand for drivers in that area caused him and other new drivers to start at top of payscale).
Benefits: 1. 401k with match (first 3% matched 1:1. Next 3% matched 2:1, so if you contribute 6%, they match with 4.5%.
2. Paternity leave: 2 weeks off paid.
3. Vacation hours: Accrue rate of 1 week/year after 3 months probation. 2 weeks/year after 1 year. 3 weeks/year after 7 years. 4 weeks/year after 15 years.
4. Sick hours: 1 week/year.
5. Health, dental, vision (costs me $30/week for the cheaper plans for me, my spouse and two children - I know this isn't a whole lot of information)
6. No union dues.
7. Some kind of pension that I need to get more information on (I've heard it's relatively weak)
Things one needs to know: Linehaul/road drivers with little seniority seem to only get a couple of runs per week. Often times, they can take extra runs on the weekend, they can run containers for the hourly pay noted above, or work a city driver shift if work is available. These new drivers often say they make as much as they did in the city with significantly less hours. No ridiculous/ancient appearance policies - you're mostly expected to wear uniform properly.

UPS Feeder driver (per hand out and verbal conversation with HR supervisor this week):

Pay: $28.50/hr to start with cap pay at roughly $37.50/hr (give or take $0.50/hr according to HR sup).
Union dues: $250 initial fee (paid by withdrawing $25/week from paycheck). After that fee is paid, dues are $65.50/month.
Benefits: How does pension, paternity leave and vacation/sick hours work with UPS? How much do people tend to pay per week or month for medical, dental and vision with UPS?
Things one needs to know: I would really like to know about any caveats of the position. I'm well aware that is mostly a night shift position and may require bouncing from days to nights before enough seniority is attained (as is with FedEx freight and any company employing linehaul drivers). This isn't a seasonal position but I am curious as to what the possibility is for layoffs? Is there other work that a feeder driver may do such as "yard-shifting" if a run isn't available? Does this alternate work pay differently? Also, somewhere when I was applying online it was implied that the work is UP TO 50 hours/week (is there some kind of hours limitation?).

I had sent the HR supervisor with UPS an e-mail containing some of these questions but she has yet to answer. Thank you so much for any contribution to this conversation.

Edit: I suspect that there is likely more opportunity for higher gross numbers per year with FedEx Freight because the pay model doesn't discourage drivers from working over 40 hours/week (they don't have to worry about overtime).

However, I feel that one MAY make more per hour with the UPS feeder position. Is it common for feeder drivers to work 60 hour weeks?
TLDR

Inevitable

Yes I worked at the Henderson building. I started off P&D and then went Linehaul and they were only using me once a week , therefore I left, among other reasons. I was making more as a city driver over there, but I started at 4am in the city so got more hours than your average P&D driver. I definitely miss the schedule I had there as well as working the city. Linehaul sucked though but some guys can stick it out and it works for them. At UPS , at least in Denver, we have set start times every week, none of that on call bull:censored2:.

UPS is a union job so payscale is all laid out in the contract. That being said, Denver is currently paying Feeder drivers in progression 28.50 , so you would stay at 28.50 every year without a raise until you top out after 3 years. However, that 28.50 was originally temporary and is under no circumstances guaranteed. In other words, they could make you go through the actual progression starting off at 21 then 23, 24, 28.50, to top pay if they want to. It’s a union job, so what is in the contract is ultimately what we agreed to; I’d recommend looking at the contract.

You are paid the same rate when you hostle or do any work with the exception of mileage which is paid at the mileage rates with delay time and extra work paid at overtime rate I believe. I would say you can expect 60 hours, but with the mass hiring they’ve done recently, I am hesitant to say so. 50 for sure I think but only guaranteed 40. Better then FedEx where you’re guaranteed nothing.

Thank you so much for the information. I think new road drivers have been kept busier in the past 1-2 years or so (we recently became labelled a "super hub" out of a total of 4 I believe for the country due to increased freight volumes running to/from and through the center - though volumes seemed to have dropped this summer) though definitely not guaranteed 40 - a huge plus.

What exactly is the cap pay for feeder drivers now - I just want to ensure the HR supervisor isn't too far off.

How can I see the contract?

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
Feeder665, does UPS have paid paternity leave separate from vacation/sick days? I didn't know what you meant by state paternity - I'm assuming you have a law in your state concerning paid paternity leave?

Thank you everyone for contributing so much to the topic.

To be honest it was personal sick days / vacation, and state pay. Nothing officially through the company. As far as I know the company in my area does not offer any paid leave. Sorry for the confusion.

There is a link to the current master contract (does not include local supplements / riders) somewhere on this site. If not check out upsrising.com I believe they have a copy of the master contract.

Hope this helps!

Inevitable

So what is convincing you to consider leaving?

Seemingly better contribution to my finances overall - it's obviously not 100% conclusive at this point which is why I'm asking about all the details of working with UPS. I definitely need to get a better idea as to how seniority/bids/available work will play out with FedEx Freight linehaul vs UPS feeder.

Knowing exactly what the "top rate" is for feeder drivers right now would definitely help as it is not spelled out in the contract as far as I can tell (definitely wonky in my opinion though I assume there is reason for this).

I know of linehaul/road drivers in FedEx Freight making 100-120k in 60 hour weeks though I need to feel this out better. With 60 hour weeks, at $37/hr (HR said $37.50/hr give or take $0.50) a feeder driver would gross $134,680 (assuming they worked every week). I have heard of linehaul drivers in FedEx Freight making this amount but I think that involved working closer to the 70 hour limit most weeks.

Medical, dental and vision with FedEx Freight is costing me (for a spouse and two children) $30/week = ~$130/month. With UPS, it would be free and, as far as I have heard, the co-pays and deductibles are better (though I would like more information/experience on this if anyone has any).

UPS union dues in Denver are, per HR, $65.50/month. I would save $64.50/month with UPS after figuring the difference in insurance costs and union dues.

Though, FedEx Freight does offer up to 4.5% of 401k match at 6% employee contributions, and if someone was pulling in $100k/year, I would miss out on $4,500/year with UPS. However, from what I've heard, UPS has a superior retirement plan which, I would assume, will AT LEAST make up for that 4.5% loss in employer match.

I don't see anything about it in the contract but the UPS HR supervisor said something about $20k/year in tuition assistance - which I am interested in. FedEx Freight offers $5k/year for full-timers I believe.

UPS also seems to offer more sick and vacation days - it seems that this depends on the locality. I have been reading about personal leave that accumulates with UPS as well. What is this? FedEx Freight only offers sick and vacation days - though they do offer 2 weeks paid paternity leave (a great plus).

In summary: It seems better short-term and long-term overall pay/hr, likely to make more per year, better medical, dental and health insurance, and likely better retirement though I'm not 100% conclusive on this overall comparison.

Can someone tell me what the "top rate" of pay is for UPS feeder and package car?

Thank you again!

Uploaded/attached is the 8-1-2018 - 7-31-2023 UPS national master contract.

Attachments

• National Master United Parcel Service Agreement - Contract.pdf
    519.6 KB · Views: 252

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Im at 37.19 right now. I only pull single trailers. There is no tuition reimbursement for full time union employees.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
Top rate for package in my area is $37.19/ hr. Top rate feeder is 37.89/hr right now. Goes up $0.75/hr Aug 1st. If you see my original post we get $3.45hr total raise over the next 4 years of the current contract so top pay will be 41.34/hr in 2022

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
We have National, Regional, and Local contracts as well as local Feeder work rules so the best and most accurate answers to your questions would be to contact Local 455 and ask to speak to the Feeder Business Agent as well as asking him/her for the number of a Steward in Feeders. I have personal contacts in California, Utah, Nevada and New Mexico but not Colorado yet sorry.

Teamsters Local 455

FWIW I do have a friend in Management at FedEx Freight here in Phoenix and she would encourage you to go to UPS no question. She was former UPS management in Chicago too.

I was recently told by a friend about UPS feeder positions which I had never heard about until recently. I had only heard of UPS package delivery drivers (package vans) paying well (over $30/hr). I currently work at FedEx Freight in the Denver, CO area and am now convinced to consider a position at UPS as a feeder driver. I am trying to find out if FedEx Freight road driver (not city driver) or UPS feeder driver (essentially the same job: building sets, pulling them to adjacent service centers, etc.) would be the most profitable job overall. If anyone can give as much accurate information as possible to compare these positions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have applied to UPS feeder and have interviewed/had orientation with an HR supervisor (who honestly didn't seem like she knew a whole lot about the position - rough numbers, etc.)

What I know:

FedEx Freight road driver:

Pay: Paid per mile with flat rate pay for non-driving tasks and hourly pay for delays and running containers to/from rail yard. Flat rates: 1/2 hour for each hook. 1/2 hour for each drop. 1/4 hour for each fuel. 1/4 hour for hooking up to already hooked sets (tractor-only). I believe 1/4 hour for chaining up.
My Specific Center: Cap pay (tier 4/4th year) for drivers after 3 years from starting with either the city or the road is currently $28.83/hr and $0.6832 CPM. Use the hourly rate to figure out flat rate pay.
Common Annual Gross Numbers: Capped drivers are making between $70k - $140k/year. It varies greatly upon bid (most senior drivers have first pick on bids and vacation requests) and availability/desire to work on Saturdays. Making above $115k in a year seems to be more rare. I personally know someone well on his way to make $110k for the year (I saw his pay stub this week) averaging 60 hour weeks (he runs from Denver, CO to Wamsutter, WY. Also, I'm basing his hours/week on the time he enters the yard for work to when he leaves the yard to go home). This driver claims to have seen someone pull mid 130's for a year. I know a driver from Grand Junction, CO (their drivers cap at the same pay as our drivers) that made $87k in his first year (demand for drivers in that area caused him and other new drivers to start at top of payscale).
Benefits: 1. 401k with match (first 3% matched 1:1. Next 3% matched 2:1, so if you contribute 6%, they match with 4.5%.
2. Paternity leave: 2 weeks off paid.
3. Vacation hours: Accrue rate of 1 week/year after 3 months probation. 2 weeks/year after 1 year. 3 weeks/year after 7 years. 4 weeks/year after 15 years.
4. Sick hours: 1 week/year.
5. Health, dental, vision (costs me $30/week for the cheaper plans for me, my spouse and two children - I know this isn't a whole lot of information)
6. No union dues.
7. Some kind of pension that I need to get more information on (I've heard it's relatively weak)
Things one needs to know: Linehaul/road drivers with little seniority seem to only get a couple of runs per week. Often times, they can take extra runs on the weekend, they can run containers for the hourly pay noted above, or work a city driver shift if work is available. These new drivers often say they make as much as they did in the city with significantly less hours. No ridiculous/ancient appearance policies - you're mostly expected to wear uniform properly.

UPS Feeder driver (per hand out and verbal conversation with HR supervisor this week):

Pay: $28.50/hr to start with cap pay at roughly $37.50/hr (give or take $0.50/hr according to HR sup).
Union dues: $250 initial fee (paid by withdrawing $25/week from paycheck). After that fee is paid, dues are $65.50/month.
Benefits: How does pension, paternity leave and vacation/sick hours work with UPS? How much do people tend to pay per week or month for medical, dental and vision with UPS?
Things one needs to know: I would really like to know about any caveats of the position. I'm well aware that is mostly a night shift position and may require bouncing from days to nights before enough seniority is attained (as is with FedEx freight and any company employing linehaul drivers). This isn't a seasonal position but I am curious as to what the possibility is for layoffs? Is there other work that a feeder driver may do such as "yard-shifting" if a run isn't available? Does this alternate work pay differently? Also, somewhere when I was applying online it was implied that the work is UP TO 50 hours/week (is there some kind of hours limitation?).

I had sent the HR supervisor with UPS an e-mail containing some of these questions but she has yet to answer. Thank you so much for any contribution to this conversation.

Edit: I suspect that there is likely more opportunity for higher gross numbers per year with FedEx Freight because the pay model doesn't discourage drivers from working over 40 hours/week (they don't have to worry about overtime).

However, I feel that one MAY make more per hour with the UPS feeder position. Is it common for feeder drivers to work 60 hour weeks?

barnyard

KTM rider
Knowing exactly what the "top rate" is for feeder drivers right now would definitely help as it is not spelled out in the contract as far as I can tell (definitely wonky in my opinion though I assume there is reason for this).

FFS
UPS pay rates are in the contract. Find the contract and then the supplement for the region you are considering and you can answer your own questions.

Csdsm18

I'm still in the process of getting on with ups cartage. I currently work for fedex express driving the tractor trailers. We currently have a new step plan. 10 steps meaning 10yrs to top out at 32.25. I'm at step 4 which is 23.32. Going over to cartage I would top out 2yrs sooner along with better top rate about 4.30 more an hour. Never had a issue with fedex until this top rate thing taking 10yrs, plus if there is no work your still on the clock for 8hrs. We bump docks n that's about it. Easiest job ever. Cartage not to sure of but I believe it's touch freight but not much and much better hours. Plus ups cartage has better pension plan and benefits. Fedex you get paid to do absolutely nothing which is cool but not enough money for me.

Mack37

I'm still in the process of getting on with ups cartage. I currently work for fedex express driving the tractor trailers. We currently have a new step plan. 10 steps meaning 10yrs to top out at 32.25. I'm at step 4 which is 23.32. Going over to cartage I would top out 2yrs sooner along with better top rate about 4.30 more an hour. Never had a issue with fedex until this top rate thing taking 10yrs, plus if there is no work your still on the clock for 8hrs. We bump docks n that's about it. Easiest job ever. Cartage not to sure of but I believe it's touch freight but not much and much better hours. Plus ups cartage has better pension plan and benefits. Fedex you get paid to do absolutely nothing which is cool but not enough money for me.

Postal Service is ten year progression as well and it sucks. Tops out about the same as FedEx also.

We have a guy retired from express here and he draws a pension from them. Is Express not doing pensions anymore?

Csdsm18

Postal Service is ten year progression as well and it sucks. Tops out about the same as FedEx also.

We have a guy retired from express here and he draws a pension from them. Is Express not doing pensions anymore?
They are doing the pension still it's a portable pension now. I've only been with the company 5yrs now so 5 more to top out. But from what I've been hearing from senior guys is that the pension is not good at all anymore. So that's why I'm considering ups cartage now. Have you heard what he's getting from his pension now?